In the New York Area? Take Advantage of an Opportunity to Check Out Some Korean Animated Movies
Hi, AICN Anime's Scott Green here with something not anime related, but still pretty cool.
Personally, I've only seen a hand-full of Korean animation productions. Though the works that I have sampled have tended to be flawed, without confidence of live action, seeing distinctive qualities and artists emerge in those movies has been rewarding.
Along those lines, if you're interested in experimenting with your media consumption, here's a great opportunity...
The Korean Cultural Service announced that it will be screening 35mm prints of a selection of animated movies as part of their Free Korean Movie series every other Tuesday at 7pm at New York's Tribeca Cinemas.
Tuesday, March 15 @ 7pm
YOBI, THE FIVE-TAILED FOX (New York Premiere, 2007)
On the other end of the spectrum is this lush, gorgeously animated film from the director that people call “Korea’s Hayao Miyazaki,” Lee Seong-Gang. His previous film was the lush MY BEAUTIFUL GIRL MARI, and he spent years making this follow-up, a big budget animated epic. Exquisitely detailed and shimmering with eye-popping colors, it tells the tale of one of Korea’s mythical, shape-shifting five-tailed foxes and its encounter with an alien.
Tuesday, April 5 @ 7pm
WHAT IS NOT ROMANCE (US Premiere, 2009)
A surprisingly moving animated film, WHAT IS NOT ROMANCE is all about a middle aged couple approaching their anniversary and it’s as tender, delicate and subtle as the best arthouse movie. Tensions are rising, dinner table conversation is nonexistent and all their romance seems dead. Leaping backwards in time it returns to the beginning of their marriage when they were head over heels in love with each other and traces it to the present when they barely talk and tries to see if there’s any way for a couple married for years to get back to the way things were.
Tuesday, April 19 @ 7pm
AUDITION (North American Premiere, 2008)
What line-up of Korean animation would be complete without a glitzy, gaudy, crowd-pleasing anime-style manhwa (Korean manga) adaptation? Based on the most popular manhwa of the late 90’s, AUDITION is a teen-girl-ready romance about four dudes, all misfits, who form a rock band. All the main characters are already licensed products in Korea and this feature film version of their well-known story took 8 years to make. It’s pure pop culture cream cheese: smooth and delicious.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 8, 2011, 12:52 p.m. CST
by Dark Doom
I have a DVD copy of "Natural City" good old robo-sex story, and have a few other movies, but aren't these all South Korean?
March 8, 2011, 1:42 p.m. CST
by professor murder
March 8, 2011, 2:27 p.m. CST
And I hate anime.
March 8, 2011, 6:12 p.m. CST
March 8, 2011, 9:29 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
...unless poop is somehow involved.
March 10, 2011, 10:13 a.m. CST
by Japan Flix
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 180 total posts 131 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 126 total posts 126 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 259 total posts 99 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 251 total posts 92 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 94 total posts 49 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 72 total posts 42 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 159 total posts 40 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 177 total posts 29 posts
- AICN COMICS - OPINIONS ARE LIKE @$$HOLES: Optimous Douche dissects DC’s New 52 so far! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 80 total posts 25 posts