Guys like you end up in the stockade sooner or later. Someday you’ll walk in and The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day will be waiting.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Ernest Borgnine is a certifiable badass. One of the proudest moments of my professional life was my hour long chat with the man for our AICN Legends column (read here if you missed it).
The genius of this man is his versatility. Consider this man went from playing one of cinema’s greatest dickheads in From Here to Eternity (featured below) to playing one of cinema’s greatest sympathetic schlubs in Marty (which won him the Oscar). How the same actor could play the hammer-wielding hardass conductor in Emperor of the North to playing the lovable Cabbie in Escape from New York is beyond me.
His character in From Here to Eternity is one of those guys that you love to hate, but you can see his humanity underneath the vile, prejudiced exterior. It’s a terrific performance and you feel really damn scared for Frank Sinatra when he makes an enemy out of Fatso Judson.
Today’s picture features Borgnine talking with director Fred Zinneman and, if I’m not mistaken, you can glimpse Montgomery Clift and Frank Sinatra at the bar behind the two. Click for the bigger version!
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic will rock you!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:09 p.m. CST
by Shady Drifter
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:14 p.m. CST
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:26 p.m. CST
An actor of eternal awesomeness. When the Red sequel comes out, I want to see him kick some butt.
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:28 p.m. CST
by ben sheppard
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:43 p.m. CST
And, yeah, Airwolf and Simpsons guest star FTW.
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:36 p.m. CST
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:51 p.m. CST
by Ricky Retardo
He was pure evil.
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:52 p.m. CST
Kind of sad that when we first got cable that movie was on all the time. Me and my brother probably watched it 20 times. Too bad that's the first movie I think of when I see EB!
Feb. 11, 2011, 5:26 p.m. CST
...he was pissed cuz they offered him some points on the gross and he turned it down thinking no one's gonna see a rat movie.Oooops. He also did a mini genre run playing some variation on the Amish, Violent Saturday, Sunday in the Country, and especially the great Deadly Blessing(a Wes Craven Film that I don't know why it isn't on video.)
Feb. 11, 2011, 6:39 p.m. CST
Only Borgnine could play grandfather to Justin Long and his eyelid tattoos and pull it off. But in all serial, seriously, how many 90 year olds show up in a stoner comedy? Love this guy...
Feb. 11, 2011, 6:56 p.m. CST
Ernest gotta eat!
Feb. 11, 2011, 7:13 p.m. CST
The Airwolf episode ECHOES OF THE PAST had the best line by Ernest Borgnine. "You make ONE move, and the last thing you're going to hear... is 'goodbye...'"
Feb. 11, 2011, 7:47 p.m. CST
that's why i love this site: discussing western culture's greatest art form with shit-kicking vernacular. win. Borgnine was awesome on the Simpsons. "Don't worry kids, i've got my trusty pocket knife! wait.. oh."
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:07 p.m. CST
And Tim Conway as Barnacle Boy. Classic.
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:16 p.m. CST
Stella Stevens...'nuff said.
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:27 p.m. CST
Borgnine scared the s@#! out of me in that movie.
Feb. 11, 2011, 10:27 p.m. CST
i can see why.
Feb. 12, 2011, 4:34 a.m. CST
Feb. 12, 2011, 8:31 a.m. CST
Do you mean the guy with slicked back hair is Sinatra and the guy right behind Zinneman is Clift? Otherwise, no they aren't.
Feb. 12, 2011, 8:33 a.m. CST
...Kirk Douglas. Chin and all.
Feb. 12, 2011, 9:40 a.m. CST
That's Borgnine for you! Wilford Brimley has similar chops, but not the 100-page resume.
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:03 a.m. CST
Must die with his sword to get to Valhalla! I agree Borgnine is one of the greats because he could be such a nice guy or such a badass depending on the role. He was best in The Vikings.
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:57 a.m. CST
for the old cocksucker
Feb. 12, 2011, 7:13 p.m. CST
by ben sheppard
WHAT a hero.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 442 total posts 285 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 209 total posts 168 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 165 total posts 79 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 62 total posts 25 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 304 total posts 22 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 47 total posts 21 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 290 total posts 20 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 193 total posts 7 posts