Guys like you end up in the stockade sooner or later. Someday you’ll walk in and The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day will be waiting.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Ernest Borgnine is a certifiable badass. One of the proudest moments of my professional life was my hour long chat with the man for our AICN Legends column (read here if you missed it).
The genius of this man is his versatility. Consider this man went from playing one of cinema’s greatest dickheads in From Here to Eternity (featured below) to playing one of cinema’s greatest sympathetic schlubs in Marty (which won him the Oscar). How the same actor could play the hammer-wielding hardass conductor in Emperor of the North to playing the lovable Cabbie in Escape from New York is beyond me.
His character in From Here to Eternity is one of those guys that you love to hate, but you can see his humanity underneath the vile, prejudiced exterior. It’s a terrific performance and you feel really damn scared for Frank Sinatra when he makes an enemy out of Fatso Judson.
Today’s picture features Borgnine talking with director Fred Zinneman and, if I’m not mistaken, you can glimpse Montgomery Clift and Frank Sinatra at the bar behind the two. Click for the bigger version!
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic will rock you!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:09 p.m. CST
by Shady Drifter
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:14 p.m. CST
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:26 p.m. CST
An actor of eternal awesomeness. When the Red sequel comes out, I want to see him kick some butt.
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:28 p.m. CST
by ben sheppard
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:43 p.m. CST
And, yeah, Airwolf and Simpsons guest star FTW.
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:36 p.m. CST
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:51 p.m. CST
by Ricky Retardo
He was pure evil.
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:52 p.m. CST
Kind of sad that when we first got cable that movie was on all the time. Me and my brother probably watched it 20 times. Too bad that's the first movie I think of when I see EB!
Feb. 11, 2011, 5:26 p.m. CST
...he was pissed cuz they offered him some points on the gross and he turned it down thinking no one's gonna see a rat movie.Oooops. He also did a mini genre run playing some variation on the Amish, Violent Saturday, Sunday in the Country, and especially the great Deadly Blessing(a Wes Craven Film that I don't know why it isn't on video.)
Feb. 11, 2011, 6:39 p.m. CST
Only Borgnine could play grandfather to Justin Long and his eyelid tattoos and pull it off. But in all serial, seriously, how many 90 year olds show up in a stoner comedy? Love this guy...
Feb. 11, 2011, 6:56 p.m. CST
Ernest gotta eat!
Feb. 11, 2011, 7:13 p.m. CST
The Airwolf episode ECHOES OF THE PAST had the best line by Ernest Borgnine. "You make ONE move, and the last thing you're going to hear... is 'goodbye...'"
Feb. 11, 2011, 7:47 p.m. CST
that's why i love this site: discussing western culture's greatest art form with shit-kicking vernacular. win. Borgnine was awesome on the Simpsons. "Don't worry kids, i've got my trusty pocket knife! wait.. oh."
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:07 p.m. CST
And Tim Conway as Barnacle Boy. Classic.
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:16 p.m. CST
Stella Stevens...'nuff said.
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:27 p.m. CST
Borgnine scared the s@#! out of me in that movie.
Feb. 11, 2011, 10:27 p.m. CST
i can see why.
Feb. 12, 2011, 4:34 a.m. CST
Feb. 12, 2011, 8:31 a.m. CST
Do you mean the guy with slicked back hair is Sinatra and the guy right behind Zinneman is Clift? Otherwise, no they aren't.
Feb. 12, 2011, 8:33 a.m. CST
...Kirk Douglas. Chin and all.
Feb. 12, 2011, 9:40 a.m. CST
That's Borgnine for you! Wilford Brimley has similar chops, but not the 100-page resume.
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:03 a.m. CST
Must die with his sword to get to Valhalla! I agree Borgnine is one of the greats because he could be such a nice guy or such a badass depending on the role. He was best in The Vikings.
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:57 a.m. CST
for the old cocksucker
Feb. 12, 2011, 7:13 p.m. CST
by ben sheppard
WHAT a hero.
- ‘That Seat Is Taken!!’ The Return Of AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ANARCHY, MOONSHINERS & INCOME Finales!! Galactic Pioneers On FUTURESCAPE!! New TROPHY, AWKWARD, STORAGE, NCIS, LOSER, VOICE, FIRE, TOSH!! Tom Hanks On KIMMEL!! Michelle Dockery On FALLON!! Lizzy Caplan On CHELSEA!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 46 total posts 5 posts
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 85 total posts 5 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 78 total posts 4 posts
- Jason Momoa to potentially play Doomsday in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!?!? -- 538 total posts 4 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 559 total posts 2 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 72 total posts 1 post
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 253 total posts 1 post
- The Next STAR TREK!! Variety Says ATTACK THE BLOCK’s Joe Cornish Is Not Directing And Alex Kurtzman Is Not Writing!! -- 377 total posts 1 post
- The Trailer For The Wachowskis' JUPITER ASCENDING! -- 311 total posts 1 post
- A sequel to JACK REACHER is on the way! -- 194 total posts 1 post