Guys like you end up in the stockade sooner or later. Someday you’ll walk in and The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day will be waiting.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Ernest Borgnine is a certifiable badass. One of the proudest moments of my professional life was my hour long chat with the man for our AICN Legends column (read here if you missed it).
The genius of this man is his versatility. Consider this man went from playing one of cinema’s greatest dickheads in From Here to Eternity (featured below) to playing one of cinema’s greatest sympathetic schlubs in Marty (which won him the Oscar). How the same actor could play the hammer-wielding hardass conductor in Emperor of the North to playing the lovable Cabbie in Escape from New York is beyond me.
His character in From Here to Eternity is one of those guys that you love to hate, but you can see his humanity underneath the vile, prejudiced exterior. It’s a terrific performance and you feel really damn scared for Frank Sinatra when he makes an enemy out of Fatso Judson.
Today’s picture features Borgnine talking with director Fred Zinneman and, if I’m not mistaken, you can glimpse Montgomery Clift and Frank Sinatra at the bar behind the two. Click for the bigger version!
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic will rock you!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:09 p.m. CST
by Shady Drifter
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:14 p.m. CST
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:26 p.m. CST
An actor of eternal awesomeness. When the Red sequel comes out, I want to see him kick some butt.
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:28 p.m. CST
by ben sheppard
Feb. 11, 2011, 3:43 p.m. CST
And, yeah, Airwolf and Simpsons guest star FTW.
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:36 p.m. CST
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:51 p.m. CST
by Ricky Retardo
He was pure evil.
Feb. 11, 2011, 4:52 p.m. CST
Kind of sad that when we first got cable that movie was on all the time. Me and my brother probably watched it 20 times. Too bad that's the first movie I think of when I see EB!
Feb. 11, 2011, 5:26 p.m. CST
...he was pissed cuz they offered him some points on the gross and he turned it down thinking no one's gonna see a rat movie.Oooops. He also did a mini genre run playing some variation on the Amish, Violent Saturday, Sunday in the Country, and especially the great Deadly Blessing(a Wes Craven Film that I don't know why it isn't on video.)
Feb. 11, 2011, 6:39 p.m. CST
Only Borgnine could play grandfather to Justin Long and his eyelid tattoos and pull it off. But in all serial, seriously, how many 90 year olds show up in a stoner comedy? Love this guy...
Feb. 11, 2011, 6:56 p.m. CST
Ernest gotta eat!
Feb. 11, 2011, 7:13 p.m. CST
The Airwolf episode ECHOES OF THE PAST had the best line by Ernest Borgnine. "You make ONE move, and the last thing you're going to hear... is 'goodbye...'"
Feb. 11, 2011, 7:47 p.m. CST
that's why i love this site: discussing western culture's greatest art form with shit-kicking vernacular. win. Borgnine was awesome on the Simpsons. "Don't worry kids, i've got my trusty pocket knife! wait.. oh."
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:07 p.m. CST
And Tim Conway as Barnacle Boy. Classic.
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:16 p.m. CST
Stella Stevens...'nuff said.
Feb. 11, 2011, 8:27 p.m. CST
Borgnine scared the s@#! out of me in that movie.
Feb. 11, 2011, 10:27 p.m. CST
i can see why.
Feb. 12, 2011, 4:34 a.m. CST
Feb. 12, 2011, 8:31 a.m. CST
Do you mean the guy with slicked back hair is Sinatra and the guy right behind Zinneman is Clift? Otherwise, no they aren't.
Feb. 12, 2011, 8:33 a.m. CST
...Kirk Douglas. Chin and all.
Feb. 12, 2011, 9:40 a.m. CST
That's Borgnine for you! Wilford Brimley has similar chops, but not the 100-page resume.
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:03 a.m. CST
Must die with his sword to get to Valhalla! I agree Borgnine is one of the greats because he could be such a nice guy or such a badass depending on the role. He was best in The Vikings.
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:57 a.m. CST
for the old cocksucker
Feb. 12, 2011, 7:13 p.m. CST
by ben sheppard
WHAT a hero.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 298 total posts 148 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 427 total posts 146 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 317 total posts 71 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 247 total posts 27 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 211 total posts 21 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 205 total posts 12 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts