Here's a trailer for the great British dark comedy/coming of age flick SUBMARINE!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. One of my favorite Sundance flicks was Submarine (proof: my review) a darkly comic tale of a weird kid finding his first love. I compared the film to Rushmore and while in some of the broader strokes that's totally accurate Submarine easily finds its own voice.
I'm very fond of this film and can't wait for people to start seeing it. The first step of that process begins now with the first trailer hitting the interwebs. Enjoy!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 7, 2011, 10:54 p.m. CST
on the wall at 17 seconds in
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:09 p.m. CST
makes me not want to see the film. I'll trust you Quint and check it out on Netflix, but I may have to find you and kick you in the balls for wasting my time.
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:12 p.m. CST
...that there is a submarine on the wall at 17 seconds.
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:14 p.m. CST
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:17 p.m. CST
And what's the age to come of age?
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:22 p.m. CST
...to see a movie so directly inspired by the "big" indie movies of the past 10 or so years - the dry, witty and brutally honest characters in Wes Anderson's films and the thoughtful, quirky yet a little dark romances by Michel Gondry. Hell, I like those kinds of movies so there is a good chance I'll like Submarine, but it's a little surreal watching a trailer for this kind of movie when its sources of inspiration are so blatantly obvious.
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:49 p.m. CST
In case you guys don't know, that's Moss from The IT Crowd, one of the best british comedies ever. It's also interesting that a black filmmaker doesn't have any black people in his film.
Feb. 8, 2011, 12:58 a.m. CST
as in Arctic Monkeys Alex Turner? I'm in just for that. Paddy Consadine is always a plus, as well. looks like it could be fun, and beautifully shot, from the looks of it. I hope a higher quality trailer is on the way.
Feb. 8, 2011, 1:04 a.m. CST
Using Wes Anderson style title font doesn't do it any favours. I hear the film is quite funny though, especailly Paddy Considine.
Feb. 8, 2011, 1:11 a.m. CST
And Richard Ayoade just killed! He followed Ben Stiller and was absolutely hilarious. Best intro to a movie I ever saw. This guy is definitely going places.
Feb. 8, 2011, 2:01 a.m. CST
as a 46 year old teenage vampire and in it's online spin-off Becoming Human. Noah Taylor I think his name is. He's going places, very promising talent. And Paddy Constantine Is always good value.
Feb. 8, 2011, 2:28 a.m. CST
whats up with the fucking gay music on that trailer?
Feb. 8, 2011, 3:07 a.m. CST
by jasper Stillwell
I saw a lot of Harold and Maude in there too. Which is a film I know Wes Anderson is very aware of.
Feb. 8, 2011, 3:22 a.m. CST
by Hat Man
- it's French. The French taught us how to kiss girls and the position soixante neuf to mix that kiss up a little. Respect. They also gave us the French Letter to stop inbred hicks perpetuating their line. Their language's pronunciation is also great exercise for the face and helps with weight loss above the neck.
Feb. 8, 2011, 3:54 a.m. CST
... and so were those girders from the start... wierd. looks great though. Unlike Being Human, which is as dull as a broken lightbulb.
Feb. 8, 2011, 4:10 a.m. CST
Feb. 8, 2011, 4:31 a.m. CST
Looks good though
Feb. 8, 2011, 5:09 a.m. CST
...are some of the best actors I've ever seen in my life. I actually believed they were fish. Academy Award NOW!
Feb. 8, 2011, 5:13 a.m. CST
Ayoade directed Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Wes Anderson will never ever do anything that good. Just because something is a little quirky and whimsical it's instantly compared to Anderson, which is becoming boring to listen to frankly and undersells the genuine heart, intelligence and out-and-out filmaking talent that Ayoade has brought to this flick. The natural light scenes are beautiful. Not hating on Anderson, he's "alright", but Submarine is better than anything he's ever done. I'd compare it to Jonze more than anything (hint of Gondry lo-fi magic in there too).
Feb. 8, 2011, 5:19 a.m. CST
and he actually was Belgian. And was one of the most talented artist throuhought the 60's and 70's. Author for the song Jackie too.
Feb. 8, 2011, 5:27 a.m. CST
Very appropriate name. I'll be leaving yours and hiperaktiv's posts unexpanded in the future.
Feb. 8, 2011, 5:57 a.m. CST
Feb. 8, 2011, 6:26 a.m. CST
Maybe I will give this movie a chance. That show was awesome. Though the most troubling sign for an indie film is how far removed its title is from anything actually in the film, I guess straining for symbolism. (Oh, there was a poster of a submarine on the wall? I take it all back then. Of course a movie about a teenager falling in love in the UK will be titled after a military nautical vessel.)
Feb. 8, 2011, 7:30 a.m. CST
by Six Demon Bag
wheres BURKE & HARE? its been too long for the Gospel of Landis!!
Feb. 8, 2011, 7:47 a.m. CST
It may be worth seeing, but the trailer is a big turn-off, imo.
Feb. 8, 2011, 7:55 a.m. CST
I know what you mean. it's such a common movie conceit that i almost feel left out. Where was MY dead body to poke?! Wait, that sounds wrong...
Feb. 8, 2011, 8:03 a.m. CST
Yeah Ayoade directed the entire series, which is one hell of an acheivement for his first pro directing job. He has also done awesome music vids for Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend amongst others. Submarine is adapted from a book of the same name. Apparently Little Man Tate was already taken as a title.
Feb. 8, 2011, 9:31 a.m. CST
Feb. 8, 2011, 12:50 p.m. CST
by Royston Lodge
One of the funniest British sit-coms in ages. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ
Feb. 8, 2011, 1:43 p.m. CST
he is great....gonna be a star
Feb. 8, 2011, 1:48 p.m. CST
so it cant be bad
Feb. 8, 2011, 4:58 p.m. CST
by board shitlez
What is interesting about a black man directing a film with white actors in it? Is it really that interesting? Black authors write about white people too. Some white people even sing songs written by them.
Feb. 8, 2011, 7:43 p.m. CST
I had one of them there coming of age affairs. I won't bore you with the details but it involved my best friend at the time, an out of use traintrack and an impromptu nights camping. I was 16 at the time and we decided it was a coming of age thing on the long walk home the next day. (note - this story is nowhere near as "brokeback" as it sounds...)
Feb. 9, 2011, 5:06 a.m. CST
noah taylor plays the dad he was in his own coming of age flick about 25 years ago he also played the dad in willy wonka great character actor
Feb. 9, 2011, 8:04 a.m. CST
Feb. 9, 2011, 9:51 a.m. CST
Please make it stop.
Feb. 9, 2011, 11:19 p.m. CST
...and he's starring in the UK only (dammit!) web series spinoff Becoming Human. In this trailer he reminds me of a weird combination of the young Bud Cort and the younger James McAvoy. Anyway, how weird is it that Noah Taylor is playing his dad, as he'd probably have played this role 15 years ago? This film looks interesting but even if it wasn't I'd have to see it as I worship anything Richard Ayoade does.
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 495 total posts 25 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 444 total posts 17 posts
- The Next STAR TREK!! Variety Says ATTACK THE BLOCK’s Joe Cornish Is Not Directing And Alex Kurtzman Is Not Writing!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 35 total posts 5 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 189 total posts 5 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 213 total posts 4 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 70 total posts 3 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 220 total posts 3 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 137 total posts 2 posts
- Harry's 49th Picks & Peeks of 2013: OCTAGON, THE WOLVERINE, more Ninjas, Serpico & Saturn 3, NASHVILLE & more! -- 194 total posts 1 post