Quint says Cedar Rapids is likable, but uninvolving. Sundance 2011!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with some short thoughts on Cedar Rapids, one of the higher profile films of Sundance.
I say short for a few different reasons. One, and probably the most pressing, is that I’m running on fumes and have to be up for tomorrow morning’s first movie in less than 7 hours and secondly, there’s not much to say about Cedar Rapids.
If you’re curious enough to read this review odds are you’ve seen the trailer. If you’ve seen the trailer you’ve seen about 80% of what’s funny in the movie.
Cedar Rapids follows a small town insurance agent, one of the good guys that doesn’t look for every loophole to fuck grannies out of their claims. He’s a good agent, the definition of the term “straight-laced.” So, yeah. Everybody walks all over him and he’ll never shine as bright as Thomas Lennon’s Roger Lemke. That is until Lemke chokes to death due to a failed auto-erotic asphyxiation and now it’s up to Helms to continue Lemke’s winning tradition at the annual insurance convention in Cedar Rapids.
Helms’ Tim Lippe has never been out of his small town and so it’s the fairly standard fish out of water tale as he leaves his comfort zone and meets the wild and crazy Dean Ziegler (John C. Reilly) who introduces this man-child to the wonders of alcohol, promiscuous sex and hooker-befriending.
I quite like all the cast and they’re all perfectly cast for their characters and the script isn’t bad, nor is the direction. The problem with this movie is that it just kind of lays there. It is what it is, not offensive, but not very engaging. I can’t say I was bored, but very little of the movie stuck with me. In one ear and out the other.
It seemed like the flick wanted to go a little crazier than it did. For instance we’re randomly introduced to crack smoking at the end that is one of the better moments of the movie, but that doesn’t really lead anywhere.
Helms is incredibly likable as always, Reilly can do no wrong for me, especially playing an eccentric offensive loud mouth type character, Alia Shawkat brings the most to her role as the hooker that takes a shine to the totally unaware Tim Lippe, Sigourney Weaver shows up to be in a few scenes where she’s either fucking Ed Helms or talking to him over the phone, Isiah Whitlock Jr. plays the whitest black dude ever (and yes, I’m including Carlton), Anne Heche plays the comedy version of the Vera Farmiga character in Up In The Air and Stephen Root is Helms’ demanding and uber religious boss.
Root gets a lot more to do here than he did in Red State and as a result is much more like his old, awesome self. I also have to bring up Kurtwood “Bitches Leave” Smith, one of America’s most criminally underused actors. He plays the strict Jesus-loving Orin, head of the organization that gives out these trophies that Helms is tasked to win for his company.
Smith milks this character for all it is worth, including one of the best non-trailer moments that involves… well, I won’t ruin it since it is one of the rare funny bits that wasn’t in the trailer, but lets just say it’s an awkward hug.
I don’t know if anybody can really hate Cedar Rapids. It’s earnest and has some really great people jamming together, but it never really feels like it all comes together in a bigger way.
If you want an up to the minute account of what I’m seeing and my immediate verdict on Sundance flicks as I see them be sure to follow me on Twitter!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 25, 2011, 3:04 a.m. CST
Hadn't heard of this til now, sounds like a great cast at least.
Jan. 25, 2011, 6:39 a.m. CST
by the new transported man
Comedy gold, & safe to use in your new comedy script! Dying whilst choking yourself during masturbation, doesn't that automatically make a movie a black comedy? My girlie started watching Life As A House a few weeks ago. In the first minute you've got Anakin Skywalker jerking it while hanging himself in the closet. Cannot unsee.
Jan. 25, 2011, 8:19 a.m. CST
Ah, so that's what became of Jake Lloyd...
Jan. 25, 2011, 8:22 a.m. CST
by Truxton Spangler
and Lee Unkrich ever been spotted in the same room at the same time? Uncanny.
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:15 a.m. CST
by Frat Boy
And the end is straight out of Up in the Air if I remember correctly. Not bad just nothing original.
Jan. 25, 2011, 2:29 p.m. CST
by carey adams
"Sheeeeeeeeeeit." -Clay Davis
Jan. 25, 2011, 6:44 p.m. CST
You're the first person I've heard say they didn't like Andy Bernard. I think he's really funny and adds a lot to the show. What exactly don't you like about him aside from you thinking he's worthless? Is it the acting? His lines?
Jan. 26, 2011, 9:52 a.m. CST
just very mediocre.. i'm shocked how far he's been able to take it.. same with Rob Corrdry. In fact most of the new correspondents suck.. Christ they even tried to make that poser Olivia Munn one.. weeeeaaak
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 928 total posts 696 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 222 total posts 157 posts
- Hey! Fat Face! Here's The New Teaser To ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES! -- 152 total posts 152 posts
- The big screen adaptation of ASSASSIN'S CREED has been given a release date!!! -- 161 total posts 147 posts
- Mr. Beaks Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! -- 1169 total posts 110 posts
- Harry gets seriously geeky on the very geeky cool STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Can't wait for the next one! & See this again! -- 1453 total posts 106 posts
- Capone reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and considers the art of messing with canon and why it doesn't bother him!!! -- 493 total posts 101 posts
- AVENGERS 2 might be filming in SOUTH AFRICA, does this mean that Black Panther is going to be a part of the action!?! -- 330 total posts 84 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- Did you guys like RED 2? Oh it's not out yet, well who cares?? Get ready for RED 3 anyways!!! -- 110 total posts 53 posts