Quint says Cedar Rapids is likable, but uninvolving. Sundance 2011!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with some short thoughts on Cedar Rapids, one of the higher profile films of Sundance.
I say short for a few different reasons. One, and probably the most pressing, is that I’m running on fumes and have to be up for tomorrow morning’s first movie in less than 7 hours and secondly, there’s not much to say about Cedar Rapids.
If you’re curious enough to read this review odds are you’ve seen the trailer. If you’ve seen the trailer you’ve seen about 80% of what’s funny in the movie.
Cedar Rapids follows a small town insurance agent, one of the good guys that doesn’t look for every loophole to fuck grannies out of their claims. He’s a good agent, the definition of the term “straight-laced.” So, yeah. Everybody walks all over him and he’ll never shine as bright as Thomas Lennon’s Roger Lemke. That is until Lemke chokes to death due to a failed auto-erotic asphyxiation and now it’s up to Helms to continue Lemke’s winning tradition at the annual insurance convention in Cedar Rapids.
Helms’ Tim Lippe has never been out of his small town and so it’s the fairly standard fish out of water tale as he leaves his comfort zone and meets the wild and crazy Dean Ziegler (John C. Reilly) who introduces this man-child to the wonders of alcohol, promiscuous sex and hooker-befriending.
I quite like all the cast and they’re all perfectly cast for their characters and the script isn’t bad, nor is the direction. The problem with this movie is that it just kind of lays there. It is what it is, not offensive, but not very engaging. I can’t say I was bored, but very little of the movie stuck with me. In one ear and out the other.
It seemed like the flick wanted to go a little crazier than it did. For instance we’re randomly introduced to crack smoking at the end that is one of the better moments of the movie, but that doesn’t really lead anywhere.
Helms is incredibly likable as always, Reilly can do no wrong for me, especially playing an eccentric offensive loud mouth type character, Alia Shawkat brings the most to her role as the hooker that takes a shine to the totally unaware Tim Lippe, Sigourney Weaver shows up to be in a few scenes where she’s either fucking Ed Helms or talking to him over the phone, Isiah Whitlock Jr. plays the whitest black dude ever (and yes, I’m including Carlton), Anne Heche plays the comedy version of the Vera Farmiga character in Up In The Air and Stephen Root is Helms’ demanding and uber religious boss.
Root gets a lot more to do here than he did in Red State and as a result is much more like his old, awesome self. I also have to bring up Kurtwood “Bitches Leave” Smith, one of America’s most criminally underused actors. He plays the strict Jesus-loving Orin, head of the organization that gives out these trophies that Helms is tasked to win for his company.
Smith milks this character for all it is worth, including one of the best non-trailer moments that involves… well, I won’t ruin it since it is one of the rare funny bits that wasn’t in the trailer, but lets just say it’s an awkward hug.
I don’t know if anybody can really hate Cedar Rapids. It’s earnest and has some really great people jamming together, but it never really feels like it all comes together in a bigger way.
If you want an up to the minute account of what I’m seeing and my immediate verdict on Sundance flicks as I see them be sure to follow me on Twitter!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 25, 2011, 3:04 a.m. CST
Hadn't heard of this til now, sounds like a great cast at least.
Jan. 25, 2011, 6:39 a.m. CST
by the new transported man
Comedy gold, & safe to use in your new comedy script! Dying whilst choking yourself during masturbation, doesn't that automatically make a movie a black comedy? My girlie started watching Life As A House a few weeks ago. In the first minute you've got Anakin Skywalker jerking it while hanging himself in the closet. Cannot unsee.
Jan. 25, 2011, 8:19 a.m. CST
Ah, so that's what became of Jake Lloyd...
Jan. 25, 2011, 8:22 a.m. CST
by Truxton Spangler
and Lee Unkrich ever been spotted in the same room at the same time? Uncanny.
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:15 a.m. CST
by Frat Boy
And the end is straight out of Up in the Air if I remember correctly. Not bad just nothing original.
Jan. 25, 2011, 2:29 p.m. CST
by carey adams
"Sheeeeeeeeeeit." -Clay Davis
Jan. 25, 2011, 6:44 p.m. CST
You're the first person I've heard say they didn't like Andy Bernard. I think he's really funny and adds a lot to the show. What exactly don't you like about him aside from you thinking he's worthless? Is it the acting? His lines?
Jan. 26, 2011, 9:52 a.m. CST
just very mediocre.. i'm shocked how far he's been able to take it.. same with Rob Corrdry. In fact most of the new correspondents suck.. Christ they even tried to make that poser Olivia Munn one.. weeeeaaak
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 361 total posts 80 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 269 total posts 23 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 584 total posts 18 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 237 total posts 17 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 203 total posts 13 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 202 total posts 9 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 121 total posts 6 posts