Rav calls Brendan Gleeson a cinema badass in THE GUARD! SUNDANCE 2011!
I should preface this review by saying I love a good action comedy, Midnight Run is way up there on my list of all-time favorites. They occupy a wonderful soft spot in my heart, i can even watch terrible Martin Lawrence ones for hours on end. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like it's been a long time since there has been a damn good one out in cinemas.
So when I walked in to the Egyptian to watch The Guard, I must say that for some reason I was expecting this to be a nuanced little english comedy about small irish towns. You know some bullshit like An Everlasting Piece, likeable with some moments, but something ultimately forgettable. What we got was the best action comedy to hit in a long time, probably the best thing since In Bruges. Which I guess shouldn't be a surprise since The Guard is written and directed by John Michael Mcdonagh, the brother of Martin Mcdonagh. Prior to this John Michael only had a short film credit that I hadn't seen and was listed as a writer on the very bland Gregor Jordan Ned Kelly movie.
The Guard follows the goings-on of a career small-town police-man played by Brendan Gleeson. He's not about rocking the boat, he likes to go about his day as easy-going as possible. When he gets a young new partner similar to Simon Pegg in Hot Fuzz trying to bring a bit more police work to his day as they investigate a murder in the town. Things get even more complicated when an FBI agent played by Don Cheadle enters the picture on the trail of a half a billion dollar drug bust.
Oh and did I forget to mention that Brendan Gleeson's character is a drug addicted, prostitute loving, racist as all hell, lovable nutjob? Seriously his character gives Nick Cage in Bad Lieutenant a run for his maniac-money, but the thing about Gleeson is you can't not love the guy. Don Cheadle is so darn good in this, his role mainly consists of being the straight-man to Gleeson's lunatic/dimwit and spends a good portion of the movie being mildly to grossly offended by everything Gleeson does, but ever the more being forced to deal with him as everything seems to be happening in his neck of the woods. The supporting cast in it is also top-notch, Liam Cunningham and Mark Strong play the drug-running baddies. Particularly Irish actress Fionnula Flannagan, who has some great scene-stealing moments as Sergeant Boyle's mother.
For the most part the film is a light-hearted Bad Lieutenant'ish crime comedy, but at a certain point when Boyle clenches his arms around an AK-47 it doesn't let up and it certainly doesn't disappoint from then on out.
John Michael Mcdonagh possesses the same gift for piecing together the most vulgar profanity laced comedy scenes that his brother has. I hate making such an easy comparison, but some scenes in this could easily have been found in In Bruges and vice versa, it very much feels like the same world, but a whole different story. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. If you enjoyed Ralph Fiennes fuck-laden phone calls or Colin Farrell's offensive midget scenes in "In Bruges" then I think you will enjoy The Guard every bit as much as I did.
The Guard isn't anything that is going change cinema or make anyone's top ten of the decade, but it's a hell of a lot of fucking fun and it cements Brendan Gleeson as a cinema badass, it also manages to get Don Cheadle to fire a machine gun and not in a fucking cgi suit. I'm now excited for anything anyone named Mcdonagh does, that family can do no wrong in my eyes.
Sundance 2011 is up and going! Okay I gotta just stop writing and go to sleep, it's 2:30 in the morning and I have a 9AM screening to go to!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 22, 2011, 3:54 a.m. CST
brendan gleeson is the finest irish actor of his generation. he commands the small screen, big screen and the stage.
Jan. 22, 2011, 4:56 a.m. CST
in just about every film he's in that I've seen. Even shit that everyone forgets like The Break and Mission Impossible 2. OK OK, maybe not Mission Impossible 2.
Jan. 22, 2011, 5:04 a.m. CST
"The guard isn't going to make anyone's top ten of the decade"<p> So you're saying it's not in the same league as much-loved 'masterpieces' like A SERBIAN FILM or IRREVERSIBLE then, eh aicn?
John Boorman's THE GENERAL - a rare leading role for Gleeson - and a rare treat of a movie. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
Jan. 22, 2011, 6:38 a.m. CST
by Joel Anderson
so far... Granted I've only seen two.
Jan. 22, 2011, 7:55 a.m. CST
The General is a brilliant film and Gleeson is amazing in it. Spent years trying to find it on dvd.
Jan. 22, 2011, 10:50 a.m. CST
for some reason google's being weird and I can't find one.
Jan. 22, 2011, 1:07 p.m. CST
Hollywood Reporter announced yesterday. Why isn't AICN reporting it?
Jan. 22, 2011, 1:21 p.m. CST
I can't take a man seriously who enjoys Martin Lawrence films that much. Brendan Gleason is a tremendous actor however and anyone who doesn't agree watch I went Down then we'll talk.
Jan. 23, 2011, 2:44 a.m. CST
I was lucky enough to see him play in Juno And The Paycock way back when on the Dublin stage and have eagerly watched him in everything since. From I Went Down, AI to his very funny turn in Lake Placid (He looked taller!) and the fantastic In Bruges. Looking forward to this one. His son is a damn fine actor too by the way, but he should never play with an automatic til he clears the breech! He's probably the busiest actor in the whole "Potter" franchise as well, well he and Gambon seem to be the ones with an active career.
Jan. 23, 2011, 5:04 a.m. CST
by Col. Tigh-Fighter
Consider this one waiting to be watched. Gleason is brilliant in everything he does, especially In Bruges. He can play deadpan black comedy as well as anyone else - see Lake Placid. And yeah, The General is a fantastic film!
Jan. 23, 2011, 5:30 a.m. CST
a weird, non-trailer, non-teaser clip...but one that ought to make you want to see it. if it doesn't, I think you're fucking stupid. you're huntin' three... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhmpSbKpI-Y
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 385 total posts 19 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 636 total posts 13 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 25 total posts 8 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 14 total posts 5 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 24 total posts 3 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts