Sorry don’t get The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day done, dude.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Rio Bravo has been featured before, but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to run this really nice pic of director Howard Hawks holding court with his three leading men: John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.
I dig everything about this picture; John Wayne’s intense respect, Dean Martin playing with his gun and Ricky Nelson… well, looking like he knows he doesn’t really belong among such company.
Enjoy the picture and click on Ricky Nelson’s awkward stance to make it bigger!
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic hates this chickenshit detail!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:26 p.m. CST
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:27 p.m. CST
...I'm the motherfucking shore patrol!! As for Rio Bravo, just watched the bluray. It still holds up. Hopefully no one remakes it unless they do it like Carpenter.
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:29 p.m. CST
Never seen Rio Bravo before and had no idea this trio was in it! That's fucking awesome!! Great shot, and thanks for the education!
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:33 p.m. CST
Then I realized, nope, "The Last Detail." Which will also be cool. Still... "You can secure that shit, Hudson!"
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:35 p.m. CST
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:39 p.m. CST
That was filmed in Old Tucson? If so I probably stood on that porch like 3 times. My family lives in Tucson about 30 mins from the studio lol!
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:57 p.m. CST
by Mr Soze
Martin is banging all the broads on the set
Jan. 20, 2011, 2:09 p.m. CST
He had talent.
Jan. 20, 2011, 2:10 p.m. CST
Like he's wearing some sort of Mila Jovovich, Resident Evil short-shorts with gun garters.
Jan. 20, 2011, 2:14 p.m. CST
You're the only reason to come to this shit-hole site.
Jan. 20, 2011, 2:15 p.m. CST
by Drunken Busboy
Need to show Jerry some love. The man did invent the Dailies after all.
Jan. 20, 2011, 2:22 p.m. CST
I got a good Martin and Lewis pic. Will run with it in a couple of weeks, probably. Already have this week picked out and written so I don't miss an entry due to my Sundancing (the festival, not the Pagan ritual).
Jan. 20, 2011, 2:25 p.m. CST
...and it just pissed me off again cuz I read where they are remaking some more Lewis Films. Though The Nutty Professor wasn't bad, and Lewis is supposed to be involved, still, more fuckin remakes!
Jan. 20, 2011, 3:05 p.m. CST
Something to do with the lighting around his head I think.
Jan. 20, 2011, 4:24 p.m. CST
It's like a photo of Stalin in reverse.
Jan. 20, 2011, 4:41 p.m. CST
by Dollar Bird
Jan. 20, 2011, 4:49 p.m. CST
after The Searchers. Isn't it weird how many westerns back then would have these strange Music numbers (as in this film) or out of the blue comedy bits (liek in The Searchers) ? It always struck me as weird and interesting.... Added an entirely new layer to those films.
Jan. 20, 2011, 4:55 p.m. CST
Need some BTS Scorcese Quint!
Jan. 20, 2011, 6:07 p.m. CST
The light source creating the shadow against the wall is picture right, but the light source on Nelsons face is camera left.
Jan. 20, 2011, 6:20 p.m. CST
Yup, there is definitely something hinky with this shot....
Jan. 20, 2011, 6:42 p.m. CST
The shadows on the faces are all wrong. Right? Am I just crazy? It just looks really weird to me.
Jan. 20, 2011, 6:57 p.m. CST
Great cast. Great picture. Love it. It is right up there with The Searchers.
Jan. 20, 2011, 7:11 p.m. CST
remember, this is on set back in the day. they had to light things like CRAZY to get everything to show up properly. I think the double shadow effect is just due to the fact they probably had a big "sun" light up, and maybe the camera that took this had a flash that gave the left to right shadows on the faces. the shadows on the back wall are super defined, very focused light, maybe a spot, and the face shadows could be mostly ambient light plus a little. but more importantly, who the hell would fake this? it's an awful lot of trouble for, well....getting on BTTS on AICN? no offense to Quint or this column (which I love), but I think if people have talent for this type of stuff, they'll be spending their time making, like, fake X-Men posters to dupe...oh wait. ;o)
Jan. 20, 2011, 8:21 p.m. CST
fuck all these old pictures. lets try to at least get some color or maybe actors that are still living onto this thing.
Jan. 20, 2011, 9:26 p.m. CST
Jan. 21, 2011, 3:05 a.m. CST
Quote from REPO MAN.
Jan. 21, 2011, 5:52 a.m. CST
Macho chain smoking dress wearing shithead!
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:54 a.m. CST
by Damned if I can login
I'll paraphrase: "John Wayne crapped bigger'n you." Flame me all ya want, but it doesn't make that fact any less true.
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:57 a.m. CST
Love Hawks big trousers too. Oh, and of course it goes without saying that the film is A FUCKING CLASSIC. Thanks Quint, kids today need to be reminded that some of this old stuff is gold stuff.
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 222 total posts 143 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 310 total posts 54 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 65 total posts 45 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 291 total posts 43 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 386 total posts 29 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 152 total posts 24 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 41 total posts 19 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 128 total posts 17 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 25 total posts 15 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 34 total posts 12 posts