You just keep thinkin’, Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day. That’s what you’re good at.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
As you read this I will be en route to Park City for the Sundance Film Festival. What better way to kick off my festival adventure than with the origin of the fest’s name, BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID.
This is one of the jewels of its era, the somewhat lighter side of the Wild Bunch coin. I say somewhat lighter, but those that have seen it know I’m not talking fluff here. It all starts with a flat out amazing screenplay by the legendary William Goldman.
The tone he strikes with this film is astounding. It’s funny, sweet and touching without being saccharine. Add on to that two amazing performances from Paul Newman and Robert Redford and you have a classic.
Hope you enjoy the below pic, which shows a lighter moment between the two leads during filming. Click for a bigger image!
If I ever saw a behind the scenes pic hold a bull by the tail, tomorrow’s pic would be it!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:50 p.m. CST
Seems unlikely, doesn't it? What a movie...
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:53 p.m. CST
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:56 p.m. CST
boobs made by Dick Smith for The Stepford Wives?
Jan. 19, 2011, 1:11 p.m. CST
Except for that Bike Ride scene. Man, what an excruciating 10 minutes. Completely kills the flow of the film. Other than that though, I gotta say, it's one of the greatest westerns ever.
Jan. 19, 2011, 1:19 p.m. CST
Do you hate the fly around poem in "Superman the Movie"?
Jan. 19, 2011, 1:24 p.m. CST
If ever there was a classic Butch and Sundance is IT! God, they really don't make like this anymore. THESE are leading men.
Jan. 19, 2011, 2 p.m. CST
They just don't make them like him anymore.
Jan. 19, 2011, 2:15 p.m. CST
How freakin' FUNNY this film is. Never better comic chemistry between two actors in a film.
Jan. 19, 2011, 2:36 p.m. CST
"I can't swim!" "What do you mean you can't swim? It's the fall that'll kill ya!" If you get the chance, you should read William Goldmans book on screenwriting, where he talks about the research for that movie. And how real life was stranger and funnier than anything he could come up with.
Jan. 19, 2011, 3:27 p.m. CST
How Goldman had to fight for the "you've got vision, the rest of the world's got bifocals" (I think that's the quote). Director didn't believe bifocals existed at that time and Goldman apparently brought in a pair that his grandmother owned from that time period...
Jan. 19, 2011, 3:36 p.m. CST
Then Paul Newman kicks Lurch in the balls. Yes, that's Ted Cassidy without all the Addams Family/Roddenberry show makeup. Katherine Ross....Sam Elliott you are one lucky man.-----later-----m
Jan. 19, 2011, 4:54 p.m. CST
"That's what sustained me in my time of trouble." That line always kills me.
Jan. 19, 2011, 4:56 p.m. CST
A wonderful film that fell victim to the 60's musical interlude, much like the 80's musical montage. Although Newman's bike-riding skills are fun to watch. Newman - rebel, man's man, scamp, gentleman...I hate to say, but I think Clooney comes closest to his persona nowadays
Jan. 19, 2011, 7:55 p.m. CST
When my wife was pregnant with our twins, I showed her Cool Hand Luke and convinced her we should name our boy Luke. Two days before they were born, I won the campaign to name our daughter Leia. Thanks, Paul Newman! One of my all-time favorites.
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:50 p.m. CST
- okay, that's not actually 100% true. First it was his line of salsas. (MANGO FTW) I just got this from Netflix last month and it was great. Newman and Redford are hilarious together. Still need to catch The Sting. BTW, does anyone know if they were correct about the members of the "super-posse"? Also, gotta give rare props to Kevin Smith for the inclusion of LeFors in Mallrats. Just got the reference.
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:45 a.m. CST
sp. Newman's "drunk" card game scene.
Jan. 20, 2011, 1:22 p.m. CST
...but yeah, it would be hard to see a studio filming that ending today, god, there'd be no sequel! Funny though, this came out the same year as True Grit, The Wild Bunch and Once Upon a Time in the West(at least it was released in the US that year). Now we go years between quality westerns.
- Jason Momoa to potentially play Doomsday in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!?!? -- 166 total posts 166 posts
- The Trailer For The Wachowskis' JUPITER ASCENDING! -- 183 total posts 62 posts
- A sequel to JACK REACHER is on the way! -- 113 total posts 54 posts
- Nordling Recaps BNAT 15! -- 147 total posts 33 posts
- The Next STAR TREK!! Variety Says ATTACK THE BLOCK’s Joe Cornish Is Not Directing And Alex Kurtzman Is Not Writing!! -- 338 total posts 22 posts
- Peter Berg Says No New FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS Movie -- 133 total posts 15 posts
- Images From Matt Smith's Final DOCTOR WHO Episode - 'The Time of the Doctor'!! -- 73 total posts 13 posts
- Some Cool Images Preview The Upcoming Trailer From Tom Cruise's EDGE OF TOMORROW!! -- 158 total posts 10 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 507 total posts 9 posts
- And The Apparent Title Of The Next TERMINATOR Movie Is... -- 359 total posts 8 posts