Want To Read The First Fifteen Pages Of Sam Peckinpah's Unproduced Screenplay For THE TEXANS?
All hail legendary producer Albert Ruddy and The Vulture for graciously making public the first fifteen pages of Sam Peckinpah's November 15th, 1980 draft of THE TEXANS! I vaguely recall reading about this project when I was plowing through Peckinpah biographies a decade ago, but I figured it was lost to time - especially since it sounded like the kind of sprawling western studios would prefer to have no part of today. Peckinpah was actually the second writer Ruddy went to (after giving John Milius a shot), and Bloody Sam responded with a 250-page epic that might've played like a pissed-off version of George Stevens's GIANT.
Having just read those fifteen pages, I'm desperate to devour rest of the feast.
Peckinpah was fighting a losing battle with his personal demons around this point of his career, so it's possible the screenplay veers into incoherence here and there (the opening is particularly bizarre, if amusingly reflective of his contempt for Hollywood), but it's Peckinpah I haven't read. I need this draft on my hard drive ASAP. According to a comment at the bottom of The Vulture's article from a "Howard Prouty", the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Margaret Herrick Library has over fifty treatments and drafts of the project. Perhaps I'll have to drop by the library over the next couple of weeks and, at the very least, read the 250-page draft. I'm sure I'm the only Peckinpah fan considering this.
Ruddy tells The Vulture that he recently engaged veteran TV writer Jim Byrnes to cut Peckinpah's script down to 150 pages. As for a director who's man enough to take on the project... good luck with that.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 18, 2011, 4:47 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 5:27 p.m. CST
Am I the only one seeing blank pages? Damn it. Schwarzenegger is reading 3 scripts AT THE SAME TIME and I can't read one partially??
Jan. 18, 2011, 8:53 p.m. CST
This sounds like it needs to be in the hands of either Terrence Malick or Lars Von Triers..anybody think any other directors could do this justice ???
Jan. 19, 2011, 7:05 a.m. CST
They might learn something.
Jan. 19, 2011, 8:10 a.m. CST
You know they won't, silly wabbit! /rollseyes
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 518 total posts 178 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 183 total posts 151 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 143 total posts 143 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 141 total posts 141 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 200 total posts 52 posts
- Check Out This Trailer for British Sci-Fi Film THE ANOMALY! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 116 total posts 40 posts
- ‘This Place Is Bullshit!!’ The 2-Minute Season-Two Trailer For Netflix’s ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK!! -- 40 total posts 27 posts