Want To Read The First Fifteen Pages Of Sam Peckinpah's Unproduced Screenplay For THE TEXANS?
All hail legendary producer Albert Ruddy and The Vulture for graciously making public the first fifteen pages of Sam Peckinpah's November 15th, 1980 draft of THE TEXANS! I vaguely recall reading about this project when I was plowing through Peckinpah biographies a decade ago, but I figured it was lost to time - especially since it sounded like the kind of sprawling western studios would prefer to have no part of today. Peckinpah was actually the second writer Ruddy went to (after giving John Milius a shot), and Bloody Sam responded with a 250-page epic that might've played like a pissed-off version of George Stevens's GIANT.
Having just read those fifteen pages, I'm desperate to devour rest of the feast.
Peckinpah was fighting a losing battle with his personal demons around this point of his career, so it's possible the screenplay veers into incoherence here and there (the opening is particularly bizarre, if amusingly reflective of his contempt for Hollywood), but it's Peckinpah I haven't read. I need this draft on my hard drive ASAP. According to a comment at the bottom of The Vulture's article from a "Howard Prouty", the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Margaret Herrick Library has over fifty treatments and drafts of the project. Perhaps I'll have to drop by the library over the next couple of weeks and, at the very least, read the 250-page draft. I'm sure I'm the only Peckinpah fan considering this.
Ruddy tells The Vulture that he recently engaged veteran TV writer Jim Byrnes to cut Peckinpah's script down to 150 pages. As for a director who's man enough to take on the project... good luck with that.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 18, 2011, 4:47 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 5:27 p.m. CST
Am I the only one seeing blank pages? Damn it. Schwarzenegger is reading 3 scripts AT THE SAME TIME and I can't read one partially??
Jan. 18, 2011, 8:53 p.m. CST
This sounds like it needs to be in the hands of either Terrence Malick or Lars Von Triers..anybody think any other directors could do this justice ???
Jan. 19, 2011, 7:05 a.m. CST
They might learn something.
Jan. 19, 2011, 8:10 a.m. CST
You know they won't, silly wabbit! /rollseyes
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The LEFTOVERS Finale And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS, STAR TREK, SNL, NFL, HBO & Tivo News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 378 total posts 367 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1515 total posts 343 posts
- ‘Listen’!! Reader Reaction To DOCTOR WHO S08E04 Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk Reviews The ‘Zygon Hunt’ Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 410 total posts 122 posts
- Morgan Freeman Joins the Cast of BEN-HUR! -- 220 total posts 70 posts
- Kelvington Says Tonight’s DOCTOR WHO Is A Perfect Episode – Were It Not For The Episode’s Foreshadowing!! -- 117 total posts 63 posts
- Drone Videos Reveal Expanse Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII Set!! + More Falcon / X-Wing Shots!! -- 429 total posts 37 posts
‘Why Must It Always
Hercules Loves The Return Of Nelson Van Alden In Tonight’s BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- Hercules Says Syfy’s New Zombie Series Z NATION Is Even Worse Than THE WALKING DEAD’s Farm Episodes!! -- 166 total posts 17 posts
- The Jurors Return To The BIG BROTHER House!! PBS’ ROOSEVELTS Premiere!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, SEX, NAKED & RAY!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Capone talks finding comedy within tragedy with THE SKELETON TWINS' director/co-writer Craig Johnson!!! -- 7 total posts 6 posts