The RED Sequel Gets Writers
We recently got word (more like a confirmation, really) that Bruce Willis looks to be a part of THE EXPENDABLES sequel (HERE). Now comes word that another recent Willis success is targeting a follow-up as well.
Collider says that Summit Entertainment has hired Jon and Erich Hoeber, writers of RED, to draft a sequel for that film (which itself was based on a graphic novel by Warren Ellis and Cully Hamner). As Collider properly notes, hiring someone to write a script is a long way to putting a full-fledged production into motion, but it's a meaningful first step.
RED grossed north of $164 million globally off of an approximately $60 million budget (it may actually have been a little more, or a bit less, depending on who you listen to) - not counting whatever it'll pull down on Blu-Ray and DVD when it hits home video next week.
— follow Merrick on Twitter ! —
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:13 a.m. CST
by D o o d
HEE HEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HEE HEE
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:13 a.m. CST
The guy needs to pull the finger out. Cunt's gotten complacent.
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:16 a.m. CST
I know people have varying opinions about each and every installment of Die Hard, but I liked all of them. I coulda done without Justin "Shia lite" Long in Die Hard 4, but at least that fliq introduced me to my girl crush Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:06 p.m. CST
One of the worst movies I saw last year. I can't believe so many people liked it.
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:15 p.m. CST
I'm trapped in some parallel universe where shit movies get sequels!
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:21 p.m. CST
Compared to some of the fare these days, Red was good fun. nothing earth-shattering or extraordinary, but a pleasant diversion. Don't understand the hate for it.
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:49 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 1:05 p.m. CST
and I still yawned my way through it. I love Brucie but people are right, he needs to try a bit harder...
Jan. 18, 2011, 2:08 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 2:23 p.m. CST
but i watched a bootleg, so my opinion shouldn't count.
Jan. 18, 2011, 3:34 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 4:21 p.m. CST
Not bad or good. I would've preferred bad, actually. Made me sleepy.
Jan. 18, 2011, 4:36 p.m. CST
"Generic Comedy action movie"
Jan. 18, 2011, 5:20 p.m. CST
Morgan freeman was funny when we first saw him. and looked a riot in that suit. RED was a very strangely edited movie.
Jan. 18, 2011, 5:49 p.m. CST
Seriously. Are you people allergic to fun or something?
Jan. 18, 2011, 7:19 p.m. CST
How does crap like this movie get a sequel? They better be talking DTV because this film was just way underwhelming and all of the actors phoned their performances in with the exception of Karl Urban.
Jan. 18, 2011, 7:31 p.m. CST
so many unanswered questions in the 1st one
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:33 p.m. CST
Red 2: Full Tint More Red Redder Shade Of Red Ultra Red Reddish Big Red Blood Red Raspberry Red Red Is The New Red ...Yeah OK I guess I'm done now
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:44 a.m. CST
I paid for my ticket, I saw the movie, it was fun to watch once. Exactly once. Not twice. Once. Nor would I say it was good enough to merit a sequel. One was enough. Not two. One. That's all. That's enough. No more. Done. Fini. Please, for all that is good and holy, stop there!
Jan. 19, 2011, 2:56 a.m. CST
as to a sequel, I'll file it under "God works in mysterious ways"
Jan. 19, 2011, 7:57 a.m. CST
Red was a fun action comedy. The high- John Malkovich stole the movie he played crazy over the top and it was fantastic fun. The low too little of the gun toting sexy mature performance of Helen Mirren.
Jan. 19, 2011, 8 a.m. CST
Surprised to see they hire someone to write a sequel. It didn't do too well moneywise.
Jan. 19, 2011, 8:03 a.m. CST
*holds hands aloft* *tumble weed* *chirp* *chirp* Oooook, i'll get me coat then.......
Jan. 19, 2011, 9:25 a.m. CST
by Mr Nicholas
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:16 a.m. CST
That's two from me, bubbaloola. <br><br> And RED grossed $90mil domestic against a $58mil budget. I'm no mathematician, but I think qualifies as a hit. <br><br> Also, shouldn't we be rejoicing that Summit is supporting a franchise that *doesn't* involve sparkling vampires?
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 311 total posts 175 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 159 total posts 81 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 292 total posts 78 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 84 total posts 46 posts
- Quint checks out Aussie drug thriller THE MULE starring Hugo Weaving at SXSW 2014! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
2010-2014 -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- Meet your new FANTASTIC FOUR!! -- 1649 total posts 17 posts