The RED Sequel Gets Writers
We recently got word (more like a confirmation, really) that Bruce Willis looks to be a part of THE EXPENDABLES sequel (HERE). Now comes word that another recent Willis success is targeting a follow-up as well.
Collider says that Summit Entertainment has hired Jon and Erich Hoeber, writers of RED, to draft a sequel for that film (which itself was based on a graphic novel by Warren Ellis and Cully Hamner). As Collider properly notes, hiring someone to write a script is a long way to putting a full-fledged production into motion, but it's a meaningful first step.
RED grossed north of $164 million globally off of an approximately $60 million budget (it may actually have been a little more, or a bit less, depending on who you listen to) - not counting whatever it'll pull down on Blu-Ray and DVD when it hits home video next week.
— follow Merrick on Twitter ! —
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:13 a.m. CST
by D o o d
HEE HEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HEE HEE
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:13 a.m. CST
The guy needs to pull the finger out. Cunt's gotten complacent.
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:16 a.m. CST
I know people have varying opinions about each and every installment of Die Hard, but I liked all of them. I coulda done without Justin "Shia lite" Long in Die Hard 4, but at least that fliq introduced me to my girl crush Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:06 p.m. CST
One of the worst movies I saw last year. I can't believe so many people liked it.
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:15 p.m. CST
I'm trapped in some parallel universe where shit movies get sequels!
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:21 p.m. CST
Compared to some of the fare these days, Red was good fun. nothing earth-shattering or extraordinary, but a pleasant diversion. Don't understand the hate for it.
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:49 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 1:05 p.m. CST
and I still yawned my way through it. I love Brucie but people are right, he needs to try a bit harder...
Jan. 18, 2011, 2:08 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 2:23 p.m. CST
but i watched a bootleg, so my opinion shouldn't count.
Jan. 18, 2011, 3:34 p.m. CST
Jan. 18, 2011, 4:21 p.m. CST
Not bad or good. I would've preferred bad, actually. Made me sleepy.
Jan. 18, 2011, 4:36 p.m. CST
"Generic Comedy action movie"
Jan. 18, 2011, 5:20 p.m. CST
Morgan freeman was funny when we first saw him. and looked a riot in that suit. RED was a very strangely edited movie.
Jan. 18, 2011, 5:49 p.m. CST
Seriously. Are you people allergic to fun or something?
Jan. 18, 2011, 7:19 p.m. CST
How does crap like this movie get a sequel? They better be talking DTV because this film was just way underwhelming and all of the actors phoned their performances in with the exception of Karl Urban.
Jan. 18, 2011, 7:31 p.m. CST
so many unanswered questions in the 1st one
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:33 p.m. CST
Red 2: Full Tint More Red Redder Shade Of Red Ultra Red Reddish Big Red Blood Red Raspberry Red Red Is The New Red ...Yeah OK I guess I'm done now
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:44 a.m. CST
I paid for my ticket, I saw the movie, it was fun to watch once. Exactly once. Not twice. Once. Nor would I say it was good enough to merit a sequel. One was enough. Not two. One. That's all. That's enough. No more. Done. Fini. Please, for all that is good and holy, stop there!
Jan. 19, 2011, 2:56 a.m. CST
as to a sequel, I'll file it under "God works in mysterious ways"
Jan. 19, 2011, 7:57 a.m. CST
Red was a fun action comedy. The high- John Malkovich stole the movie he played crazy over the top and it was fantastic fun. The low too little of the gun toting sexy mature performance of Helen Mirren.
Jan. 19, 2011, 8 a.m. CST
Surprised to see they hire someone to write a sequel. It didn't do too well moneywise.
Jan. 19, 2011, 8:03 a.m. CST
*holds hands aloft* *tumble weed* *chirp* *chirp* Oooook, i'll get me coat then.......
Jan. 19, 2011, 9:25 a.m. CST
by Mr Nicholas
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:16 a.m. CST
That's two from me, bubbaloola. <br><br> And RED grossed $90mil domestic against a $58mil budget. I'm no mathematician, but I think qualifies as a hit. <br><br> Also, shouldn't we be rejoicing that Summit is supporting a franchise that *doesn't* involve sparkling vampires?
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 116 total posts 91 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 101 total posts 57 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 556 total posts 33 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 171 total posts 28 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 174 total posts 17 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 104 total posts 14 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 355 total posts 8 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 62 total posts 6 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 207 total posts 4 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 24 total posts 4 posts