Has Summit Found Its Next TWILIGHT?
Summit Entertainment, the studio that brought the TWILIGHT Saga to the screen, has just acquired world rights to another youth-oriented novel to adapt.
According to Deadline, Summit now has the rights to THE NIGHT CIRCUS, a novel by Erin Morganstern to be published this September. The story concerns two dueling illusionists in the 1800s carrying on their fathers' rivalry in an enchanted circus, but matters become complicated when they fall in love.
Sounds like THE PRESTIGE or CARTER BEATS THE DEVIL for young folk (both very good novels, by the way). According to the article they are looking for a film release and then possibly a television series. If we go by track record, Summit knows how to promote and produce these kinds of stories. No release date as of yet; likely Summit is waiting to see how well the novel does on release, but according to the article Summit sounds confident in the story. Head of production Erik Feig said in a statement, "THE NIGHT CIRCUS sets a spell on the reader from the very first page and we cannot wait to find the right filmmaker and cast to make the world come as inordinately alive as it does in the mind's eye."
I really enjoy stories like this - Houdini, 19th Century magicians, and the like. Hopefully Summit will make something interesting and not just fodder for screaming tweens, but it sounds like they have confidence in the material.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 8, 2011, 6:11 p.m. CST
by Stereotypical Evil Archer
They need their thing as much as any of us do.
Jan. 8, 2011, 6:15 p.m. CST
But with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale falling in love? Pass.
Jan. 8, 2011, 6:18 p.m. CST
by Stifler's Mom
Wow, this site is starved for news lately. Wake me when they've found the next PULP FICTION or the next DISTRICT 9.
Jan. 8, 2011, 6:18 p.m. CST
They just rode Twilight's fan base all the way to the bank.
Jan. 8, 2011, 7:14 p.m. CST
and the description isn't peaking my interest.
Jan. 8, 2011, 7:42 p.m. CST
obviously you can't. if you could, the studios would make a killing on every movie. they dont have a fucking clue how to make a hit.
Jan. 8, 2011, 7:59 p.m. CST
for leik the 50 years olds?
Jan. 8, 2011, 8:49 p.m. CST
It has almost the same following as Twilight: preteens, young teens and early-to-late middle-aged women. Unlike Twilight, the lead female character is not a weenie moron blindly following a "beautiful" vampire. Still doesn't make it very good, but certainly better than Meyer's total dreck. It's more "dystopian SF for kids" than "ridiculous overwrought badly-written romance novels."
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:11 p.m. CST
But since the female protagenist is bound to be awkward, uncomfotable (but really beautiful) and the male dark, brooding, and complicated (but gorgeous) it'll strick a cord with 12 year old girls trapped in the bodies of middle aged women bored with their husbands.
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:15 p.m. CST
That article header makes not one bit of sense.
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:44 p.m. CST
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:46 p.m. CST
I mean Harry Potter kinda already did that but know where near as gay as Twilight made vampires. And it's true, studio's don't know shit about making great movies...if they did, the presidents would be true film buffs. If you could get Harry's ass into an executive position I bet you...wait, bad example. Harry like's dumb shit too If you could get like Capone into an executive position at a studio I bet the shit output would be significantly decreased
Jan. 8, 2011, 11:54 p.m. CST
with Robert Pattinson? Sounds like someone else beat them to the punch.
Jan. 9, 2011, 4:53 a.m. CST
...it sounds like "Toilet"
Jan. 9, 2011, 8:27 a.m. CST
how many more of those does the world really need?
Jan. 9, 2011, 1:29 p.m. CST
Well they won't ever figure that out. If there was anyone in Hollywood smart enough to do that they would simply attempt space opera #2 and make starwars level money. It's astonishing really. That nobody has ever tried to make a space epic to compete with starwars except cameron. And that took how many years? Seriously-You can't think up another use for billions of planets with aliens on them?
Jan. 9, 2011, 2:24 p.m. CST
No, not so much the trend of women being led around by their wallets (although that is disturbing too) but the recent trend of studios snapping up unpublished works in a "proven" cash-cow "genre". As a complement, there are whole hordes of hack writers riding the coattails of the first hack writer to expand a singular phenomenon into an entire "genre" trying to strike while the iron is hot. The ubiquity and general crappiness of the content is one thing. The extremely speculative and radically contingent nature of all sides of the affair is quite another and just leaves a bad taste in my mouth--like another speculative bubble that recently burst, with very real consequences. What consequences will this trend have if it becomes standard practice?
Jan. 9, 2011, 3:48 p.m. CST
That's the book to look at...
Jan. 9, 2011, 3:53 p.m. CST
Never heard of it.
Jan. 9, 2011, 10:05 p.m. CST
That's because it hasn't been released yet!! Maybe you should read the entire article before commenting. I know, that's a novel concept on this site.
Jan. 9, 2011, 10:07 p.m. CST
That's downplaying the potential for this novel, I'd say. It sounds like it has far more going for it than the T-word.
Jan. 10, 2011, 12:40 a.m. CST
Careful with the wording here... on first glance it really looks dirty. I mean, circus people are wierd, but I would still put them above incest :)
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:06 a.m. CST
A young teens book with features gay sibling love in 19th century? Pretty foward-liberal book that one must be. I'm suprised it even got published.
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 123 total posts 123 posts
- All 13 Season-Six Episodes Of CLONE WARS Land On Netflix!! Joan Jett On LETTERMAN!! Kenan Thompson On MEYERS!! TRAIN YOUR DRAGON On FX DOWNLOAD!! New HANNIBAL, FIVE-0, GRIMM, BLOODS, LAST MAN, NEIGHBORS, ELISTED, HOPE, BANSHEE, TREEHOUSE, GOLD & SMACKDOWN!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 85 total posts 51 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 251 total posts 47 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 123 total posts 47 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 51 total posts 34 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE! -- 19 total posts 19 posts