A Butt-Numb-A-Thon 12 Missing Moment! Guillermo Del Toro's intro to the classic HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME!
Hey folks, Harry here with a special moment that didn't quite happen at BUTT-NUMB-A-THON: THE DIRTY DOZENTH this past year. Ordinarily - this would have been seen in a room full of lucky BNATTERS - now - it takes place with you sitting at your computer.
Guillermo rather desperately wanted to attend this year's BNAT, but as anyone who has been paying attention to his particular career path can attest. The man is busy. On that particular weekend he had to launch an exciting Video Game endeavor, but he insisted on still being a part of things. Sadly, the video didn't quite get to me before the start of the event. So instead, we've decided to use this video to perhaps inspire a great many of you to seek out the rather brilliant William Dieterle directed HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. The only film to screen at the first ever Cannes Film Festival (Hitler's invasion of Poland caused the fest to close up). One geeky thing that Guillermo doesn't mention... Esmeralda's screams were those of Fay Wray's from KING KONG. Yeah, I love those screams...
Now here's the trailer for the great 1939 film. Definitely a film you must see!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 4, 2011, 1:23 a.m. CST
Here's Guillermo Del Toro's missing BNAT12 introduction to HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME!!! Thanks goes to JJ & Mike McCutchens and oddly enough, the University of Texas!
Jan. 4, 2011, 1:36 a.m. CST
Thanks Harry... and who the fuck made a statue of Boris' candid Frankenstein?
Jan. 4, 2011, 1:46 a.m. CST
the B&Ws for BNAT 12 gave the new releases some tough acts to follow
Jan. 4, 2011, 5:12 a.m. CST
...maybe Guillermo was doing this as a wind up..? Nice to see a man of such exquisite taste praising one of my all-time faves. Dieterle is much overlooked imo.
Jan. 4, 2011, 10:47 a.m. CST
Jan. 4, 2011, 4:42 p.m. CST
Wow - just when I think I could not have absorbed a single additional scrap of BNAT awesomeness, here is tangible evidence of what would have been yet another amazing, jaw-dropping BNAT moment. Hard to imagine the uproar if Mr. Del Toro had walked into the room! :-)
Jan. 4, 2011, 5:43 p.m. CST
90 years old and living in Ireland. Goodness, I hope someone gets her to do some audio commentaries of HUNCHBACK and her John Ford westerns; QUIET MAN, etc. before she passes -
Jan. 4, 2011, 6:26 p.m. CST
by Ben Harrison
Yeah, this was one of my favourite vintage films at BNAT, it played so well. When Quasi comes swinging in to rescue Esmeralda, the crowd actually cheered.
Jan. 4, 2011, 8:18 p.m. CST
I missed a lot of the intros due to the short breaks, which I hated, because although I love the surprise factor of BNAT, when the film is announced I like to hear why it was chosen or who brought it, etc. Damn my tiny bladder! Anyway, glad to have this as a keepsake.
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 155 total posts 55 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 162 total posts 25 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 110 total posts 19 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 75 total posts 19 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 420 total posts 9 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 203 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 34 total posts 6 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 65 total posts 5 posts
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 294 total posts 4 posts