Steve Landesberg, the deadpan stand-up comic and avuncular actor who made me a lifelong fan of ABC’s “Barney Miller,” passed away Friday in New York.
He was only 65.
He first appeared in the sitcom as a priest, then was brought on as intellectual detective Arthur Dietrich to replace Abe Vigoda when the “Godfather” veteran went on to star in the spinoff “Fish.” (Vigoda, for the record, is still kicking at age 89.)
Younger fans may know Landesberg for straying into the Judd Apatow camp as Jason Segal’s doctor in 2008’s “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” or as psychoanalyst Myron Finkelstein on the Starz sitcom “Head Case.”
During his “Barney Miller” run, he guest-starred (alongside “The Bob Newhart Show’s” Eliot Carlin, Jack Riley) as lethargic con man Kenny Hollywood in the Angel Martin-centric Stephen Cannell-scripted “There’s One In Every Port.” It remains one of the funniest “Rockford Files” episodes ever shot.
He did a mean Gregory Peck.
For years, he and I shopped at the same Ralphs grocery store near Universal City. I even got to ride in the same elevator with him once. That was kinda cool.
I love Steve Landesberg. I’m sorry to hear he’s gone.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Dec. 21, 2010, 1 a.m. CST
by Ye Not Guilty
Dec. 21, 2010, 1:05 a.m. CST
'Twill be missed.
Dec. 21, 2010, 1:41 a.m. CST
Didn't know you, but one of my family members is a big Rockford Files fan so I'll tell her in the morning.
Dec. 21, 2010, 2:14 a.m. CST
I loved his standup and he was the main draw for me on Barney Miller.
Dec. 21, 2010, 2:17 a.m. CST
Landesberg, Nielsen, Edwards, Monicelli...
Dec. 21, 2010, 2:24 a.m. CST
Dec. 21, 2010, 3:42 a.m. CST
His interactions with Abe Vigoda's character, Fish, were almost as funny as Detective Yamana's reaction to the guy who thought he was a werewolf. --- Good night, funny man.
Dec. 21, 2010, 3:49 a.m. CST
<spoken in the voice of Janosz> He was the Alpha, and he shall be the Omega. No man may outlast Vigoda... VIGODA THE IMMORTAL!
Dec. 21, 2010, 3:53 a.m. CST
Dec. 21, 2010, 4:02 a.m. CST
He said "I come from a galaxy far, far away." And the lie detector said he was telling the truth. The squad room eyed him suspiciously. He then says, "No, I'm not"... pauses a beat... "I thought it needed to be said."
Dec. 21, 2010, 4:37 a.m. CST
But nicely done
Dec. 21, 2010, 5 a.m. CST
by John Finnan
considering most talkbackers here will be dead of diabetes or heart disease before reaching 50. Sorry guys, that's just the statistics of it.
Dec. 21, 2010, 5:34 a.m. CST
Yet one of the veterans most famous lines had Luca sleeping with them.
Dec. 21, 2010, 7:30 a.m. CST
Very funny show, very funny actor.
Dec. 21, 2010, 7:39 a.m. CST
by The McPoyle Clan
Barney Miller is an under-appreciated show.<br><br>For all you youngins, it's where Book from Firefly, Ron Glass, had has most prominent role early in his career.
Dec. 21, 2010, 8:13 a.m. CST
by Grammaton Cleric Binks
Not today. Ironically Landesberg had a guest appearance on Barney Miller playing a con man. Much like Harry Morgan who had a guest role on M*A*S*H both went on to perhaps the biggest roles of their careers. I'm surprised there was no mention in the obit that he was for all intents and purposes Pauly Shore's stepfather.
Dec. 21, 2010, 8:27 a.m. CST
My favorite Landesberg Barney Miller scenes were the one where he's on his way to the Goethe festival, and the episode with the Time Traveler (who seems to foreshadow that Deitrich will be revered in the future).
Dec. 21, 2010, 9:03 a.m. CST
Too bad, and so young, too. That guy's acting was the definition of deadpan delivery comedy. One of the most extreme cases ever.<p>All of Barney Miller is that style comedy. It was my Dad's favorite show from back then. But I think you really have to be an adult to enjoy it.
Dec. 21, 2010, 9:45 a.m. CST
One of those old school comics, like the never aging David Brenner, that I fondly remember growing up.
Dec. 21, 2010, 9:47 a.m. CST
after Barney Miller, one of the networks let him do a prime time special. The Steve Landesburg Show. He did a great Abe Lincoln. Funny man!
Dec. 21, 2010, 9:53 a.m. CST
but enough deaths for a while, okay?
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:27 a.m. CST
That's the scene I was thinking of. Q:Where were you born? A:A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Loved him in Barney Miller!
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:24 p.m. CST
Dec. 21, 2010, 2 p.m. CST
Steve did some low-rent Canadian commercials for United Furniture Warehouse several years ago and they were as dry and as funny as he was. Loved seeing him slum it and take the piss out of the store he was shilling for at the same time. "Save money, why not" was the tag line for the commercials and my friends and I still use this today in many situations while trying (badly) to imitate Steve's voice and delivery. Its not all I'll remember him for; he was damn funny and smart too. But I loved those commercials and, since they're probably not widely known, I thought I'd share the reference with y'all in our mourning of this great. Maybe the ads are on Youtube or something?
Dec. 21, 2010, 2:20 p.m. CST
and great timing. Funny, funny guy.
Dec. 21, 2010, 2:43 p.m. CST
by Tar Heel
I remember his appearances on Johnny Carson doing standup or marking Johnny laugh during their chats. I still remember his tip for getting out of jury duty: during jury selection, stand up and yell in a Southern accent, "Hang him!" Rest in Peace.
Dec. 21, 2010, 4:19 p.m. CST
Steve was one of my favorite comedians growing up. (yes,I'm old!) I didn't see him for years until he popped up on a Jud Apatow movie. Thanks for all the laughs,Steve!!
Dec. 21, 2010, 6:52 p.m. CST
Dec. 21, 2010, 9:03 p.m. CST
He lied about his birth date early on to seem younger.
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 27 total posts 23 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 384 total posts 12 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 423 total posts 10 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 720 total posts 6 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 5 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 31 total posts 2 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 569 total posts 2 posts
- "Do you understand what it's like to be a genius?!!" Dan Harmon takes his show on the road in this trailer for HARMONTOWN! -- 19 total posts 1 post