‘Give Wood The Ambassador!!’ Herc’s Seen Nucky’s Chicago Adventures In HBO’s Eighth BOARDWALK EMPIRE!!
I am – Hercules!!
HBO says of tonight’s installment, “Hold Me In Paradise”:
While visiting Chicago during the Republican National Convention, Nucky (Steve Buscemi) gets alarming news from Atlantic City.
What HBO isn’t not telling us:
* When Nucky arrives in Chicago Jimmy doesn’t know he’s there.
* Christopher McDonald (“Happy Gilmore,” “Requiem For A Dream”) turns up as a Republican kingmaker.
* Eli takes off his uniform and takes over Nucky’s office.
* Nelson fills his drawer. (We’ll discover there’s a lot more to IRS agent Van Alden over the coming weeks.)
* Rothstein rehearses.
* Illinois governor Frank Lowden and Leonard Wood, New England surgeon and soldier, are the GOP frontrunners as Nucky hops the train back to Jersey.
9 p.m. Sunday. HBO.
Follow Herc on Twitter!!
Follow Evil Herc on Twitter!!
166 Blu-rays Under $10!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 7, 2010, 2:22 p.m. CST
Nov. 7, 2010, 2:23 p.m. CST
the expected amount of softcore porn. So it's got that going for it...
This is a good show. Wonder if it can make it past season 2.<p> <p> On an unrelated matter, who would want a Brendan Frasier toy? Does anyone even really know the name of his character in those Mummy movies?
Nov. 7, 2010, 2:54 p.m. CST
filling out characters<p>the only one who really remains 2 dimensional is chulky, and im hoping that they will deal with that very soon
Nov. 7, 2010, 3:02 p.m. CST
and I still couldn't give a shit anymore. MORE time needs to be spent on prohibition/early mob stuff. Last weeks was a nice turn with the Jimmy storyline. I'd like to see a little more focus on where everything is heading towards. Right now it's just a shitload of boobs and bush just strutting around without much of a decent storyline direction. But maybe that's just me. I'll stick around til seasons end but so far I'm hesitant to come back next year.
Nov. 7, 2010, 3:36 p.m. CST
by Nice Marmot
. . . who's trying to impress a chick.
Nov. 7, 2010, 3:40 p.m. CST
Yo, Hercules, does Kelly MacDonald ever get naked? She's been awfully shy so far...
Nov. 7, 2010, 3:50 p.m. CST
I've only seen up to episode 11, but so far no Kelly nakedness that I recall. But Nucky's other girlfriend continues to get very very VERY naked.
Nov. 7, 2010, 3:58 p.m. CST
Instantly became one of my favorite characters in this series. He's one badass creepy dude. ;) Great stuff!
Nov. 7, 2010, 5:51 p.m. CST
by Nemesis Enforcer
the second i saw him i thought, oh man, this guy is gonna be a cold blooded killer and i hope he has a big role in the show!!
Nov. 7, 2010, 8:12 p.m. CST
Did you guys not see the episode where she tries on that dress in front of Nucky's girl? It sure wasn't the eyeful we've been getting from Paz De La Huerta on a regular basis, but I definitely recall some nipplage...
Nov. 7, 2010, 8:28 p.m. CST
Or just skip it.
Nov. 7, 2010, 9:28 p.m. CST
And cut for cut it looked like they used a body double. That was the one that made me think if it was any other actress we would have gotten an eyeful so maybe Kelly is getting discreet on us poor sods.
Nov. 7, 2010, 10:39 p.m. CST
Whereas that show kept adding characters and growing vastly more interesting, this show gets duller and duller with every episode. The pieces are all there, but the reveals and the plotting lack any sort of urgency. Even Eli's shooting packed no punch. Maybe that's partially intentional, but it's not working dramatically. It's beautifully shot and the acting is fine, but the whole fucking thing is starting to put me to sleep. It certainly doesn't help that the show lacks a moral center, somebody we can actually relate to on a reasonable level. Let's face it...all these people suck.
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:18 p.m. CST
WOW. Just. WOW.
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:20 p.m. CST
Just to put Boardwalk in the top-ten talkbacks, however momentarily.
1) Thanks for the answer, Herc:) 2) I really do think this could be the next great show--but there is too much meandering. Ironically the scenes that engage me the most are the small emotional ones with Nucky and those he (almost?) loves--and the stuff that seems old to me is all the by the numbers gangster on the rise Jimmy stuff. I hate how the show flirts with nuance (Nucky's flashes of sentimentality and maybe actual kindness) and undercuts them with thudding predictablitly (Nucky setting fire to his childhood home instead of giving it to a good man). Still, there's something about this show... It's no masterwork like Deadwood yet but at least it's no insult like True Blood either.
Nov. 8, 2010, 1:47 a.m. CST
I fuckin love it!! Its all starting to come together. Jimmy and his fucked up war friend moving back to jersey. the last few episodes are gonna kick ass.
Nov. 8, 2010, 2:14 a.m. CST
... but the pacing is entirely too slow.<p></p> I understand and appreciate filling out character backgrounds so the audience gets to know them, but unless it's been given a greenlight by HBO for another 3 seasons, then ... at this pace ... it's feeling like TMI.<p></p> I mean, we all know the true historical characters (Capone, Bunny, Lucky, Myer) aren't, for example, suddenly gonna die (why toss credibility out the window?) ... so get on with the storyline just in case HBO cuts the cord
Nov. 8, 2010, 7:12 a.m. CST
by Mr Gorilla
Isn't that something they should have done in the first five minutes of the first episode? Scorsese didn't have any trouble doing it in Taxi Driver / Goodfellas / The Departed etc etc.
Nov. 8, 2010, 7:21 a.m. CST
That's all. And Michael Pitt has all the gravitas of a manniquin.
Nov. 8, 2010, 8:09 a.m. CST
by Judge Briggs
love it. it takes about 4 eps to really get into it- after that, who can complain about a mobster show that is on HBO by the same guys responsible for Sopranos and Goodfellas?
Nov. 8, 2010, 9:33 a.m. CST
Your memory either sucks or you are gay, not that anything is wrong with that. Nucky's hole, Danziger, makes her try on lingerie at the shop to get back at her for stealing Nucky.
Nov. 8, 2010, 9:35 a.m. CST
Dull? You must be a fucking moron. This show is the opposite of dull.
Nov. 8, 2010, 9:45 a.m. CST
for instantly thinking after watching Walking Dead's pilot episode that it was a show as good as Boardwalk Empire. Last night's Walking Dead was a disaster in every way- editing, acting, writing, directing- it was just shit. Boardwalk Empire has been consistently great and I feel more invested each episode.
Nov. 8, 2010, 9:47 a.m. CST
@ TheVagazzler Watch "The Girl in the Cafe", she gets naked in that and no body double either.
Nov. 8, 2010, 9:55 a.m. CST
Also, I didn't realize she was in Trainspotting... that was full frontal... (Check out Celebritymoviearchive.com, then go to "Tour" for still pics)
Nov. 8, 2010, 10 a.m. CST
by Nice Marmot
. . . and apparently prime for some good ol' fashioned trolling.
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:29 a.m. CST
But some of the tit/sex scene shots are just gratuitous and serve no purpose, other than to say "we're HBO and we can do this."
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:34 a.m. CST
by Nice Marmot
. . . I can't WAIT for the Game of Thrones talk-backs.
Nov. 8, 2010, 1:06 p.m. CST
by Powers Boothe
It was a body double. Kelly has appeared nude on film before but the filmmakers felt Kelly's breasts didn't fit the criticism directed at them by Nucky's girlfriend. In the changing room scene Nucky's girlfriend mocks Margaret's low slung breasts. Margaret tells her she finds bras uncomfortable and doesn't wear them.
Nov. 8, 2010, 2:36 p.m. CST
thats pretty funny. Casting Call - we need a chick with a saggy rack!
Nov. 8, 2010, 4:13 p.m. CST
This is a great show, though not quite in the Sopranos/Deadwood/Wire league it certainly is an incredible technical and artistic achievement. I love the slow pace, it's starting to sprawl out nicely and the acting is absolutely belter, even Michael Pitt (his scene with the gangster just before the shooting last week was immense). Thing is though, Michael Shannon is fucking amazing in this, the performance and the character are about the best thing on television anywhere right now. I could watch a show on nelson all day quite happily.
Nov. 8, 2010, 6:57 p.m. CST
Okay HBO. Game of Thrones is your LAST chance. Thank God for AMC.
Nov. 9, 2010, 3:49 a.m. CST
Most of you are idiots lol, The Walking dead was terrible last night? This show is boring? Man when are some of you going to stop posting BS here just so you can look cool or try and be funny? Trust me, you are neither. Nor do most of you know anything about the film industry. Also you wouldn't know good TV if it slapped your mammy in the cunny.
Nov. 9, 2010, 6:08 a.m. CST
and I really can't blame the guy. Gretchen Mol looks better now than she ever has.
Nov. 9, 2010, 9:27 a.m. CST
The half faced veteran was pretty badass last week. This weeks was another set up episode. Why we can't watch and enjoy both HBO and AMC I'll never know. But if I have to cast my vote I'll go with the tits, excessive violence and no commercials.
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:23 p.m. CST
by Nice Marmot
. . . I thought people who can enjoy shows on more than one network were scarce 'round these parts. We must be geniuses or something.
Nov. 9, 2010, 1:52 p.m. CST
and I too can't wait for Game of Thrones talkbacks. Some people aren't ready for Winter.
Nov. 9, 2010, 5:14 p.m. CST
that character is gonna be fun.
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:04 p.m. CST
I think every episode has gotten better, more intense, and exciting. This is easily the best show of this year, and probably the best show on HBO since either "The Sopranos" or "The Wire."
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:08 p.m. CST
The 1920's was a slow degade, compared to now. So the show has the most perfect, and intelligent pacing that I've seen on a show in a very long time. It's intelligent, because it captures the mood and tone of the 1920's. There were no Ipods, black berries, Iphones, Facebook, or Twitter. Everything was not a click away. It was more like a "walk away." "Boardwalk Empire" is one of the best, most intense, and brilliantly acted shows ever!
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:09 p.m. CST
Jimmy isn't doing anything with his mother. lol!
Nov. 9, 2010, 10:13 p.m. CST
Who would of thought that a show about Zombies would such a terrifying and personal work of art.
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 140 total posts 136 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 726 total posts 12 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Capone talks love among the ages with LOVE IS STRANGE director & co-writer Ira Sachs!!! -- 8 total posts 8 posts