The notorious FOUR LIONS is coming to Chicago! Capone has tickets to an advanced screening next week!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
You've read the reviews, you've heard the talk, seen the posting about advanced screenings all over the country. And now FOUR LIONS is finally making its way to Chicago for its only advanced screening before opening November 12. FOUR LIONS is an absolutely stinging comedy about the war on terror from writer-director Chris Morris, and it just so happens to be the first movie distributed by Alamo Drafthouse Films, the distribution arm of the mighty Austin-based Alamo Drafthouse. I think it goes with saying that the Drafthouse folks wouldn't put their name behind a film unless it was exceptional, and FOUR LIONS certainly is.
I have loads of seats for Chicago-area AICN readers to an early screening of FOUR LIONS, which will take place Wednesday, November 10 at 7:00pm at AMC Pipers Alley Theaters, 1608 N. Wells Street in Chicago. Here's how to win:
Send me an email at FourLionsChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "FOUR LIONS SCREENING". In the body of the email, I need your Name, and whether or not you're bringing a Guest (guests' names are not required), and that's it. We want a full house, so we're making it painfully easy for you to get in.
Please keep in mind that the screening is slightly overbooked to make sure there is a full house. If there's even the slightest chance you'll have to back out of attending if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to everyone at Alamo Drafthouse Films for making this happen.
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:21 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:21 p.m. CST
I need better things to do on a Friday night.
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:21 p.m. CST
But wouldn't this be third?
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:59 p.m. CST
by Rocco Curioso
Yes, I'm sure it will kick both "Skyline" and "Unstoppable" flat on their asses. And Harry Potter the following weekend.
Nov. 6, 2010, 12:05 a.m. CST
First, wow really is that the high point in your life?
Nov. 6, 2010, 4:12 a.m. CST
YOU were THINKIN' the SAME damn THING. yes, you were. i know you were.
Nov. 6, 2010, 1:25 p.m. CST
It's not a big film like Up or Harry Potter, so I should make the guest list.
Nov. 6, 2010, 3:14 p.m. CST
a great comedy, and may give a good few americans a more realistic view of what england is really like!
Nov. 6, 2010, 3:16 p.m. CST
Nov. 6, 2010, 7:32 p.m. CST
its on every torrent site
Nov. 6, 2010, 8:06 p.m. CST
Nov. 7, 2010, 5:44 a.m. CST
by A G
You'll realise when you watch it.
Nov. 7, 2010, 1:24 p.m. CST
I'm a big fan of British comedy, I recognized one of the actors from The Thick Of It in a cameo role in this. But this isn't nowhere near as funny, it is at best consistently amusing. The Paki-British dialect is a bit comical in itself, the way they say "proper", "flippin", and "bro" so constantly that it has to be part of the joke, in the way that Ali G is amusing just when he is talking. In fact they sound a lot like Ali G. Characters talking in a "funny" accent is pretty low bar comedy though, like a Rob Schneider comedy. Parts of this reminded me of that Adam Sandler "Zohan" movie. What ruins the comedy is that the character Omar the protagonist ends up being the villain, because the others are so dumb that you could laugh at their antics because they are far too stupid to do much harm except by accident. Omar is not very bright (he fires a rocket launcher backwards in one bit), but he's just smart enough to manipulate the group into killing a bunch of people. Without him they'd either explode themselves or blow up a mosque (one of them, the loudmouth keeps insisting on this). Omar is a true believer islamic jihadist and he makes them just dangerous enough to the decent people they live with that it deflates the humour. The movie presents the English and Indo-Paki-British people around them, who chaotically end up being their victims, as friendly, generous, and helpful to a fault. So it's hard to ignore that not only these guys are trying to kill a bunch of people, they're trying to kill a bunch of very nice people. If you're expecting a scene where some contrived racist stereotype is prejudiced against the muslim terrorist, it doesn't happen. Omar doesn't suffer discrimination anywhere, especially at work where his English coworker is nothing but friendly and trusting. So Omar comes off as a true asshole, and he ruins the simple dark comedy of his bumbling terrorist crew. At one point a mentally retarded adult woman sees their bomb making equipment, and Omar say that they will have to kill her, and cut her head off. It turns out he is only messing with the guy he tells to do it, as punishment for screwing up. It is a scene that makes the necessary point clear that these are bad guys, but it also spoils the humour.
Nov. 7, 2010, 1:53 p.m. CST
will be a good test of that age-old question, whether Americans can ever really understand irony
Nov. 7, 2010, 5:51 p.m. CST
I mean, I can't really get my mind around this possibly being funny if they are indeed successful at carrying out a terrorist attack. Would a comedy about the guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center be funny? I just don't see how it's possible.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Tomorrow's THE STRAIN, The Next HOMELAND, Fox’s GOTHAM, Showtime’s THE AFFAIR, ABC’s FOREVER, CBS’ SCORPION & MADAM SECRETARY, Scott Frank’s A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES And The Latest MARVEL, DC & SNL News!! Plus The Return Of Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 190 total posts 34 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 167 total posts 30 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 219 total posts 26 posts
- Capone says Kevin Smith's wonderfully grotesque TUSK falters when it tries too hard to be funny!!! -- 67 total posts 26 posts
- Papa Vinyard talks with Rose McGowan about her first project as a director and the DAWN Film Festival she's curating this week in downtown Los Angeles! -- 36 total posts 25 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 68 total posts 22 posts
- Harry @ Fantastic Fest 2014: TUSK, REALITI, CUB, TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA, HIVE, MAN FROM RENO & FREE FALL! -- 15 total posts 14 posts
- Capone's Art-House Round-Up with THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY: THEM and Terry Gilliam's THE ZERO THEOREM!!! -- 26 total posts 12 posts
- The Additions of Sam Elliott and DEADWOOD’s Garret Dillahunt Suggest That The Final Season Of JUSTIFIED Will Own Us All!! -- 31 total posts 12 posts