Why have you disturbed The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day’s sleep; awakened it from its ancient slumber?
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes pic!
I love hearing from make-up people and I love ‘em even more when they send in pics for this column. I’m going to have to hit up a lot of my make-up effects buddies for coming additions to the BtSPotD column, but today I have a special treat for you.
Tom Sullivan, one of the make-up artists on the original EVIL DEAD, sent in a shot of him working on Betsy Baker during the filming of Sam Raimi’s classic. Check out his website here.
Here’s the note I received:
Quint, I did the make up and special effects for Evil Dead and I wanted to share this picture of mine with the fans at Ain't It Cool.
It is of me applying make up on actress, Betsy Baker creating the infection of Linda's leg after the pencil attack. The actual stop motion infection shot would be completed six months later with Cheryl Gutteridge "fake shemping" as Linda's leg.
After a 90 minute stop motion shot where I painted the infection spreading on her leg, frame by frame, Cheryl leaned over and threw up. I found out her leg had gone to sleep and being the trooper she didn't' complain or move until the shoot was over. I felt terrible but the shot is great.
The picture was taken in May of 1980 at Producer, Rob Tapert's family farmhouse south of Marshall, Michigan.
And here’s the photo that came with it, a rare look behind the scenes of one of the best indie horror films to ever find an audience!
If you have a pic you think should be included email me. I’m looking for the iconic, the rare or the just plain cool behind the scenes shots to feature here.
Thanks for sending in the picture, Tom!
Tomorrow’s pic goes full circle, connecting back to the very first October 1st entry of the all horror month of BtSPotD! It’s a beaut!
Follow Me On Twitter
Previous Behind the Scenes pics:
- Big Trouble In Little China
- Clash of the Titans
- Dr. Strangelove
- Sesame Street
- The Birds
- The Dark Knight
- Batman (1989)
- Batman: The TV Series
- Stephen King’s IT
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- The French Connection
- The Road Warrior
- King Kong (’33)
- The Empire Strikes Back (Luke with Slate)
- Rebel Without A Cause
- Taxi Driver
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Tommy Chong Meets The Blues Brothers
- The Empire Strikes Back (Filming the Crawl)
- John Carpenter’s The Thing
- Die Hard
- Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
- The Howling
- Revenge of the Creature
- The Empire Strikes Back (Vader & Luke Duel)
- The Godfather
- Rambo III
- Planet of the Apes
- Pan’s Labyrinth
- The Adventures of Robin Hood
- Marathon Man
- Young Frankenstein
- Viva Las Vegas
- The Empire Strikes Back (Han driving a snow cat)
- Rio Bravo
- Back to the Future
- The Time Machine
- War of the Worlds (1953)
- Alien (Chestburster)
- On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
- Dr. No
- The Twilight Zone
- Once Upon A Time In The West
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Star Trek: The Original Series
- The Empire Strikes Back (Luke in Wampa Cave)
- Edward Scissorhands
- The Warriors
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Requiem for a Dream
- The Princess Bride
- Hard Boiled
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
- They Live
- The Empire Strikes Back (Tippet with Wampa)
- Dirty Harry
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Blade Runner
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (Periscope Ride)
- The Godfather (Coppola & Brando)
- The Lady Eve
- 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
- The Empire Strikes Back (Bald Vader)
- Mary Poppins
- Alien 3
- Total Recall
- The Pink Panther
- Fawlty Towers
- The Trouble With Harry
- The Shining
- An American Werewolf In London
- The Gate
- The Fly (1958)
- Army of Darkness
- Seed of Chucky
- John Carpenter’s The Thing (Bottin)
- Creature From the Black Lagoon
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
- Night of the Living Dead (’68)
- Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
- Silence of the Lambs- The Exorcist
- Alien (crouching alien)
- Alfred Hitchcock being awesome
- Son of Frankenstein
- The Mummy (1932)
- Nosferatu (1979)
- Nosferatu (1922)
- War of the Worlds
- Vincent (Tim Burton)
- The Evil Dead
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 30, 2010, 3:53 p.m. CST
Oct. 30, 2010, 3:54 p.m. CST
sorry for the double post.
Oct. 30, 2010, 3:55 p.m. CST
MAKE IT SO!!!!!!!!!
Oct. 30, 2010, 4:02 p.m. CST
You mind your business! He knows what he's doing.
Oct. 30, 2010, 4:08 p.m. CST
by Rocco Curioso
Fake Shemp Zooey Deschanel, for those pesky Superman reshoots. Now Caleb can be proud of BOTH of them simultaneously.
Oct. 30, 2010, 4:41 p.m. CST
Raimi = Geek Heaven.
Oct. 30, 2010, 4:45 p.m. CST
by GibsonUSA Returns
Skip Saw AGAIN? While a million Paranormal Activity articles AGAIN?<BR> Is PA really THAAAAAT superior to Saw? C'mon!!
Oct. 30, 2010, 5:03 p.m. CST
by Rex Carsalot
Oct. 30, 2010, 5:31 p.m. CST
...in the Saw franchise was probably the best thing that ever happened to him, though I bet the makers of the films now wish they had gotten some more mileage out of his character before killing him. Anyway, Tobin Bell is probably one of the highest paid actors in the Saw films, if not THE highest paid actor, and he basically makes only brief appearances. A two minute scene here and there, and he's set. He must be a very happy person. Now, if there were more characterization in the films, giving him more substance to tackle as an actor, I'm sure he would have been excited to appear more in the films, but that simply isn't that case. Tobin Bell living the paycheck dream
Oct. 30, 2010, 5:33 p.m. CST
See for yourself on Empire Magazine's site:http://www.empireonline.com/reveal/
Oct. 30, 2010, 5:47 p.m. CST
Oct. 30, 2010, 5:51 p.m. CST
Practical = guy spending 90 minutes painting by hand on a pretty girl's leg.<p>CG = 90 minutes of a guy hunched over a computer in a windowless room.<p>Case closed.
Oct. 30, 2010, 6:11 p.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
Oct. 30, 2010, 6:51 p.m. CST
If they ever make another evil dead it needs to be stop motion because that is what kandarian possession looks like. But your argument against digital makes no fucking sense whatsoever the way you phrased it.
Oct. 30, 2010, 7:03 p.m. CST
in a long time. Everytime I want to I pop in Evil Dead 2 instead. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be, but isn't Ash a whiney bitch in the first one?
Oct. 30, 2010, 7:05 p.m. CST
Oct. 30, 2010, 7:05 p.m. CST
Oct. 30, 2010, 7:11 p.m. CST
wears short shorts
Oct. 30, 2010, 8:40 p.m. CST
Oct. 30, 2010, 9:01 p.m. CST
The first movie is so fucking genius! The sequels are good in a fun/campy sort of way, but they're nowhere near as inventive as the original.
Oct. 30, 2010, 9:30 p.m. CST
by Mullah Omar
I think we are missing the real cause and effect there. Maybe Tom can explain the missing info. <br> <br> And maybe he can explain why he isn't wearing any pants. Though I guess on a film like EVIL DEAD the FX guys have more clout than the actors, so maybe it's a contract stipulation.
Oct. 30, 2010, 9:36 p.m. CST
Oct. 30, 2010, 10:21 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
= one of the most genuinely cringe-inducing moments in the series.
Oct. 30, 2010, 11:57 p.m. CST
by The Dreaded Rear Admiral
He's not wearing pants, and it looks like she'd playing footsie with him based on the position of her foot! I like this one best of all, even better than the REAL creepy Nosferatu pic, which is about to become my desktop background!
Oct. 31, 2010, 7:36 a.m. CST
by Motoko Kusanagi
If you look closely enough...
Oct. 31, 2010, 12:19 p.m. CST
Kind of a cool Halloween themed short on Youtube: Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSm57G_jfTo Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaP1SP4AytI
Oct. 31, 2010, 1:43 p.m. CST
I went upstairs in his family's building downtown, I thik to talk to him about an apartment years ago, and he had all these plaster mold casts laying around. He was making the dvd cases for those necronomicon Evil Dead DVDs that came out a few years back. Just hammerin em out in his apartment, a couple at a time. Way to get Marshall up on the site, Tom!
Oct. 31, 2010, 4:14 p.m. CST
by The Addict
Tom worked on the first film I'd ever worked on as well. At the end of his time on set, he signed a roll of toilet paper for me because I forgot to bring something for him to sign. It's still my favorite autograph that I've ever gotten.
Nov. 1, 2010, 8:46 a.m. CST
by The Bug-Eyed Baron
Tom is pretty great. He designed a collector's edition 'Book of the Dead' DVD for THE EVIL DEAD that every fan should own! He also did almost all the artwork for the RPG CALL OF CTHULHU for the First-Fourth editions. Great stuff!
Nov. 12, 2010, 5:09 p.m. CST
I visit occasionally.. Pics if anyone wants to see em jeanoroid.com/evildead
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 353 total posts 225 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 180 total posts 180 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 137 total posts 137 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 112 total posts 112 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 107 total posts 107 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 314 total posts 103 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 583 total posts 61 posts
- International Trailer and Clip for Australian Horror Film THE BABADOOK! -- 69 total posts 55 posts
- Red Band Trailer for THE DEAD 2: INDIA! -- 49 total posts 36 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 32 total posts 32 posts