If The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day is mortal it must have mortal weaknesses. It’ll be stopped, somehow.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes pic!
I’m saving the big guns for Halloween weekend, but don’t think that means today’s pic is filler. Fuck no! It’s a dude becoming a martian in George Pal’s War of the Worlds. We’ve previously featured the great tripods from this film, but I figure in the spirit of the holiday we’ll take a look at a man in suit! And not just any suit, but a dirty martian suit!
Take a gander!
If you have a pic you think should be included email me. I’m looking for the iconic, the rare or the just plain cool behind the scenes shots to feature here.
Tomorrow has us taking a look back at a very young filmmaker’s early work, a BTS shot from a short by a very well known filmmaker.
Follow Me On Twitter
Previous Behind the Scenes pics:
- Big Trouble In Little China
- Clash of the Titans
- Dr. Strangelove
- Sesame Street
- The Birds
- The Dark Knight
- Batman (1989)
- Batman: The TV Series
- Stephen King’s IT
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- The French Connection
- The Road Warrior
- King Kong (’33)
- The Empire Strikes Back (Luke with Slate)
- Rebel Without A Cause
- Taxi Driver
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Tommy Chong Meets The Blues Brothers
- The Empire Strikes Back (Filming the Crawl)
- John Carpenter’s The Thing
- Die Hard
- Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
- The Howling
- Revenge of the Creature
- The Empire Strikes Back (Vader & Luke Duel)
- The Godfather
- Rambo III
- Planet of the Apes
- Pan’s Labyrinth
- The Adventures of Robin Hood
- Marathon Man
- Young Frankenstein
- Viva Las Vegas
- The Empire Strikes Back (Han driving a snow cat)
- Rio Bravo
- Back to the Future
- The Time Machine
- War of the Worlds (1953)
- Alien (Chestburster)
- On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
- Dr. No
- The Twilight Zone
- Once Upon A Time In The West
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Star Trek: The Original Series
- The Empire Strikes Back (Luke in Wampa Cave)
- Edward Scissorhands
- The Warriors
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Requiem for a Dream
- The Princess Bride
- Hard Boiled
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
- They Live
- The Empire Strikes Back (Tippet with Wampa)
- Dirty Harry
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Blade Runner
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (Periscope Ride)
- The Godfather (Coppola & Brando)
- The Lady Eve
- 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
- The Empire Strikes Back (Bald Vader)
- Mary Poppins
- Alien 3
- Total Recall
- The Pink Panther
- Fawlty Towers
- The Trouble With Harry
- The Shining
- An American Werewolf In London
- The Gate
- The Fly (1958)
- Army of Darkness
- Seed of Chucky
- John Carpenter’s The Thing (Bottin)
- Creature From the Black Lagoon
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
- Night of the Living Dead (’68)
- Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
- Silence of the Lambs- The Exorcist
- Alien (crouching alien)
- Alfred Hitchcock being awesome
- Son of Frankenstein
- The Mummy (1932)
- Nosferatu (1979)
- Nosferatu (1922)
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:31 p.m. CST
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:34 p.m. CST
For some reason the sound the "tripods" make in this movie has always freaked me out. Sounds just like a hula hoop made out of evil.
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:36 p.m. CST
i first saw this when i was five. One of my earliest memories. Freaked me out as i recall. Great movie.
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:46 p.m. CST
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:48 p.m. CST
Thanks for ruining my day.
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:49 p.m. CST
"Guns, tanks... they're like TOYS against the behind the scenes pic!". For some reason, that line and the way the general says it is one of the first things I think of when it comes to Pal's WAR OF THE WORLDS. <p> And the 3 burned silhouettes on the ground... and the creepy farmhouse scene... and the EMPIRE STRIKES BACKish battle with the war machines (the scene when the troops are running with the green globs firing overhead is repeated verbatim in EMPIRE).
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:50 p.m. CST
Oct. 27, 2010, 3:55 p.m. CST
Oct. 27, 2010, 4:06 p.m. CST
Oct. 27, 2010, 4:10 p.m. CST
Utterly fantastic. Now, if the remake had taken a similar epic approach, and maybe just kept elements of the Tom-Cruise-Family-Runs-Away-From-the-Martians Show as a side plot, it might have worked. But even then, it would have been pointless. Because Pal's version rules! Anybody remember the early 1990s television series? Used to love it. It wasn't great, but the first couple of seasons tried to expand the mythology of the original movie, and were a blast of prop cameos.
Oct. 27, 2010, 4:22 p.m. CST
Always thought it was a puppet...
Oct. 27, 2010, 4:24 p.m. CST
It was so much bigger scale than the recent version
Oct. 27, 2010, 4:53 p.m. CST
with all these balls old movie pictures!!! How about something made in the last twenty years. Fuck pre-1980 movies for the most part anyway.
Oct. 27, 2010, 5:15 p.m. CST
aka the 'alien hands with sucker-fingers reaching around a corner' show was so wretched it was downright offensive. Most notable for being a show about an alien invasion that featured a distinct lack of actual aliens. Instead, it just gave us Canadians talking about aliens.
Oct. 27, 2010, 5:34 p.m. CST
Oct. 27, 2010, 5:39 p.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
Oct. 27, 2010, 5:50 p.m. CST
Cooper,Aldrin,Mitchell and tons of others like the former head of the FAA guy who testified before congress- all claim them crazy aliens is real.
Oct. 27, 2010, 7:27 p.m. CST
Oct. 27, 2010, 8:51 p.m. CST
by frank cotton
boo-fucking-hoo, for you
Oct. 27, 2010, 9:35 p.m. CST
George Lucas while filming THX-1138. Right?
Oct. 27, 2010, 9:41 p.m. CST
It'll be The Duel! You heard it here first, folks!
Oh, he said a short. Uhh... let us forget that ever happened.
Oct. 27, 2010, 11:27 p.m. CST
I read once that the guy who played the Martian in the farmhouse scene had a problem with the head... and they ended up having to shoot the scene quickly, because the head was about ready to fall off! Man In Suit sure beats the crappy CGI aliens in the (very, very lame) 2005 movie. The script in Pal's version is far superior. The "mortal weaknessess" line prepares the audience for what is to come. But I LOVE Gene Barry yelling "Take my word for it, General! This kind of defense is useless against that kind of power!" To this day, a true sci fi landmark.
Oct. 27, 2010, 11:32 p.m. CST
by Larry Sellers
Oct. 28, 2010, 12:25 a.m. CST
Clint Howard? When did HE get a time machine?!
Oct. 28, 2010, 1:57 a.m. CST
I can't remember who published it, I'm thinking it was Dark Horse, but, they put out an AMAZING FAITHFUL adaptation of War of the Worlds. The art is pretty great, too. You should check it out.
Oct. 28, 2010, 5:36 a.m. CST
Than the cute ones in the Spielberg version. I remember when i first watched this film when I was a kid and the Martians really disturbed me..especially the faceless aspect of them.
Oct. 28, 2010, 5:38 a.m. CST
by jack Bauer
There's a line in the film where he's saying "I'm kinda lost" and you can see by his face that he's trying not to crack up with laughter. <p> Still makes me and my wife laugh every time, loved the film...
Oct. 28, 2010, 7:55 a.m. CST
And there probably never will be. There has never been a faithful version of "The Time Machine" either (just too gloomy and depressing, I guess) though the Pal version came close. At times. As far as the WotW remake, I thought the long scene where the tripods emerge was outstanding. I went to see the movie twice for that scene alone. There were also some great images (remember the moving train on fire?) but a lot was weak beer. Cutting every scene with Tom Cruise would have helped.
Oct. 28, 2010, 8:55 a.m. CST
you can't ignore that Spielberg's version is much closer to the book. I never realized that until I finally read the book several months ago, duh! Although both films go their own way from Well's writing, Spielberg's is much more in the spirit of the book, and even in many details is closer. Well's work emphasized family; Pal's chucked that for a larger, more epic vision. This is kind of like THE SHINING; I love Kubrick's and Pal's approach to the material and the changes they chose to make, yet I also love the original material. I don't subscribe to this either/or mentality so prevalent among geeks; it's not necessary to love one interpretation of a story and hate the rest.
Oct. 28, 2010, 9:01 a.m. CST
by just pillow talk
Mrs. Pillow much prefers this version as opposed to the Berg's.
Oct. 28, 2010, 9:02 a.m. CST
by just pillow talk
Too bad the son really ruins the movie, and the whole cellar scenes with Robbins just grind the movie to a halt.
Oct. 28, 2010, 9:38 a.m. CST
that was the one part of the movie that seemed to come from another film or something. The son was pretty irritating but then again most boys his age irritate me! For me the good parts of Spielberg's film outweigh the bad to the extent that I still enjoy it overall, but it was so close to greatness if these problems would have been rectified.
Oct. 28, 2010, 9:40 a.m. CST
I always thought it was a puppet when I saw the movie as a kid, awesome find!
Oct. 28, 2010, 2:45 p.m. CST
Although I do also like Spielberg's version too. I have to admit though, that I really wish someone would make a big budget version of War of the Worlds, but set in the Victorian times it was written and released in. Seriously, that would be pretty unique. Also, the Martians were never realized the way they were described in the book.<P>The closest we've come to getting that was the post WWII aborted Ray Harryhausen version. Although, he did shoot a test shot of a Martian climbing out of its ship. It is on Youtube if you want to check it out. Maybe Quint can embed the video next to the picture up above?<P>http://tinyurl.com/27zlf9<P>I'd love to see what Peter Jackson and WETA could do with a period faithful War of the Worlds adaptation.<P>Also, don't forget about the Orson Welles 1938 War of the Worlds broadcast that scared the crap out of a whole bunch of people. I listen to it several times a year, and at least once every Halloween. It is great for short road trips, especially at night when driving alone.
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 388 total posts 22 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 642 total posts 19 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 204 total posts 13 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 26 total posts 9 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 343 total posts 8 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 16 total posts 7 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 316 total posts 7 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 352 total posts 5 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 304 total posts 5 posts