Herc’s Seen The First 12 New Episodes In 17 Months Of HBO’s IN TREATMENT -- Now With Amy Ryan and Debra Winger!!
I am – Hercules!!
First a paragraph without spoilers. Know that HBO only ordered four half-hour episodes (instead of five) per week for the third season of its psychotherapy drama “In Treatment.” Two episodes (dealing with patients named Sunil and Frances) air Mondays; two episodes (dealing with a patient named Jesse and Paul’s own therapy) air Tuesdays.
While the sessions with Sunil may be the most entertaining, the ones that analyze 57-year-old psychotherapist Paul himself are the most compelling.
Paul’s longtime mentor and psychotherapist, Gina Toll (Diane Wiest), has moved on to a new career and is no longer available to analyze Paul.
57-year-old Paul is now divorced from Michelle Forbes’ character and sleeping with a 37-year-old named Wendy (played the busy Susan Misner, who in the last five years has scored recurring roles also on “Jonny Zero,” “Starved,” “Night Stalker,” “Conviction,” “Vanished,” “Rescue Me,” “The Bronx is Burning,” “Gossip Girl” and “New Amsterdam”).
Paul has a scary new personal problem that has nothing to do with Wendy.
He goes to see a psychiatrist to get an Ambien prescription renewed and ends up seeing her on a weekly basis.
Paul’s new analyst is Adele, played by the Amy Ryan, a series standout who delivers here a brilliantly dialed-down performance.
Ryan may be on some kind of one-woman crusade against typecasting; her character here is so different from HR exec Holly Flax from “The Office” or mousey cop Beadie Russell from “The Wire” or meth-head Helene McCready from “Gone Baby Gone.” And none of those roles were anything like the others.
If you have to limit yourself to one half hour of “In Treatment” per week (which is not my advice), I say tune in to the Tuesday sessions with Adele and Paul.
Follow Herc on Twitter!!
Follow Evil Herc on Twitter!!
Season Eight!! Volume Seven!!
112 Blu-rays Under $10!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 25, 2010, 5:13 p.m. CST
I really fear HBO may have fucked up by changing the 5 night a week format. It works SO well in Season 1 and 2, and I don't see any need for it to change except for the fact that this season is HBO "original" material, not based on the Israeli show, and they just wanted to stamp their own individual mark on it or something. <p> I will of course still watch it, since it is without doubt one of the best things ever made for TV.
Oct. 25, 2010, 5:58 p.m. CST
my issue is that in watching the first season, I found myself connecting to ALL the characters, not just Byrne's. I realize the premise of the show means that each season brings new patients, but I already know before watching the second season and the third that I'll miss Laura and Jake and Amy.....especially Embeth Davitz who oozes sex. Ah well.
Oct. 25, 2010, 6:53 p.m. CST
by Rebel Scumb
But I agree, all the characters were great. I've seen most of season 2, except for all of the Gina episodes, and it was all out of order, but I plan to go through all of the second season before I start downloading season 3. It took me forever to figure out that Laura from season 1 was the hot hooker from DARK CITY
Oct. 25, 2010, 9:17 p.m. CST
by S-Mart shopper
was awesome in The Namesake
Oct. 26, 2010, 12:37 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2010, 2:58 a.m. CST
sorry aint my cup of tea
Oct. 26, 2010, 4:34 a.m. CST
Rent the DVD's from Season 1, and watch a few. You'll see very quickly that Melfi and Tony Soprano will be the furthest things from your mind.
Oct. 26, 2010, 5:02 a.m. CST
The Wire is better crafted and Sopranos has the history, but for me In Treatment just sings like nothing else I've seen on television. It's introverted drama of the mind and heart seems so honest and true that it has a huge effect on me. It sounds hyperbolic but I just love it.
Oct. 26, 2010, 8:52 a.m. CST
I think the show dropped an installment because Gabriel Byrne was completely burned out by the shooting schedule for the first two years. He almost didn't come back for the second season: Rodrigo Garcia quit after a year, and his replacement Warren Leight left after the second year. HBO won't give the show enough money to extend their shooting schedule, so they're literally filming while the writer sits on set, feeding lines directly to the actors and working on the next episode. This is probably the only way we got another season, by lowering the workload. It sucks, but four episodes a week is better than nothing.
Oct. 26, 2010, 1:16 p.m. CST
Now if Sky would just get round to showing season 2 I'd be happy because season 1 was amazing. I agree that you come to identify and care about all of the characters, but I found the Sophie episodes the most affecting. Its pure drama, no explosions, no gimmicks, just 2 characters in a room talking. Awesome.
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 389 total posts 23 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 644 total posts 21 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 204 total posts 13 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 26 total posts 9 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 343 total posts 8 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 15 total posts 7 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 316 total posts 7 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 352 total posts 5 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 304 total posts 5 posts