The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day doesn’t easily forget an arm torn out by the roots.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes pic!
Today we have a set of pics from the onset birthday party of one Mr. Boris Karloff during the filming of SON OF FRANKENSTEIN. I love the movie, but there’s another reason I’ve chosen to post these pictures today.
It’s my mother’s birthday, you see. Now, I don’t mean to compare my mom with Frankenstein, but a birthday soire seemed appropriate. Happy birthday, Mom!
You’ll see two images below and I think there are more from this party circling the net as well, but these are the two I kept. You’ll see, in costume and in make-up Birthday Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone and Bela Lugosi!
Looks like Frank had a spill, too. Some cake seems to be on his furry vest. Bet the wardrobe people weren’t too happy, though everybody else seems to have a smile on their face, even our lovely monster!
If you have a pic you think should be included email me. I’m looking for the iconic, the rare or the just plain cool behind the scenes shots to feature here.
Tomorrow’s Behind the Scenes Pic is about another mummy, just not mine.
Follow Me On Twitter
Previous Behind the Scenes pics:
- Big Trouble In Little China
- Clash of the Titans
- Dr. Strangelove
- Sesame Street
- The Birds
- The Dark Knight
- Batman (1989)
- Batman: The TV Series
- Stephen King’s IT
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- The French Connection
- The Road Warrior
- King Kong (’33)
- The Empire Strikes Back (Luke with Slate)
- Rebel Without A Cause
- Taxi Driver
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Tommy Chong Meets The Blues Brothers
- The Empire Strikes Back (Filming the Crawl)
- John Carpenter’s The Thing
- Die Hard
- Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
- The Howling
- Revenge of the Creature
- The Empire Strikes Back (Vader & Luke Duel)
- The Godfather
- Rambo III
- Planet of the Apes
- Pan’s Labyrinth
- The Adventures of Robin Hood
- Marathon Man
- Young Frankenstein
- Viva Las Vegas
- The Empire Strikes Back (Han driving a snow cat)
- Rio Bravo
- Back to the Future
- The Time Machine
- War of the Worlds (1953)
- Alien (Chestburster)
- On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
- Dr. No
- The Twilight Zone
- Once Upon A Time In The West
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Star Trek: The Original Series
- The Empire Strikes Back (Luke in Wampa Cave)
- Edward Scissorhands
- The Warriors
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Requiem for a Dream
- The Princess Bride
- Hard Boiled
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
- They Live
- The Empire Strikes Back (Tippet with Wampa)
- Dirty Harry
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Blade Runner
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (Periscope Ride)
- The Godfather (Coppola & Brando)
- The Lady Eve
- 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
- The Empire Strikes Back (Bald Vader)
- Mary Poppins
- Alien 3
- Total Recall
- The Pink Panther
- Fawlty Towers
- The Trouble With Harry
- The Shining
- An American Werewolf In London
- The Gate
- The Fly (1958)
- Army of Darkness
- Seed of Chucky
- John Carpenter’s The Thing (Bottin)
- Creature From the Black Lagoon
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
- Night of the Living Dead (’68)
- Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
- Silence of the Lambs- The Exorcist
- Alien (crouching alien)
- Alfred Hitchcock being awesome
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:02 p.m. CST
The filming of a very important scene. Seriously though, it's nice to see film makers in a more relaxed, jovial moment.
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:03 p.m. CST
1st BITCHEs suk it
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:03 p.m. CST
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:06 p.m. CST
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:07 p.m. CST
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:08 p.m. CST
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:14 p.m. CST
I'm your white knight.
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:15 p.m. CST
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:16 p.m. CST
Cat People. The Paul Schrader version. Get the prod. The movie that Tarantino paid homage to in a weird way in Inglorious Basterds. Or was that an homage to Bowie? Well, he had imagined Ms Kinski in the role...
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:34 p.m. CST
...on the dvd there is some behind the scenes footage of Costello sitting on Frankie's lap. He picks up his hand and pretends to do a manicure until Glenn Strange(the monster) loses it and starts laughing. Loved it.
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:36 p.m. CST
Perfectly captured his laugh and made him look like a goofy five year old. Brilliant!
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:39 p.m. CST
by The Dum Guy
And, if so, what offends her the most?
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:47 p.m. CST
to be a part of that world.
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:53 p.m. CST
by George Newman
Beaks and Quint aren't on speaking terms right now. BNAT is gonna be AWKwarddddddddddddd
Oct. 22, 2010, 8:56 p.m. CST
as far as the title about an arm torn out by the roots, because I just re-watched Kill Bill vol 1 last night, and the title of this article made me think of Beatrix cutting off Sofie Fatale's arm at that restaurant.
Oct. 22, 2010, 9:03 p.m. CST
Oct. 22, 2010, 9:23 p.m. CST
just don't click.. I don't have access to all those "known" books and shots out there. And I'm too lazy to look 'em up. And even if I did.. i get much more variety here. so SHUT THE FUCK UP
Oct. 22, 2010, 9:24 p.m. CST
yes, that was preemptive
Oct. 22, 2010, 9:48 p.m. CST
"Fuck you! Karloff does not deserve to smell my shit! That limey cocksucker can rot in hell for all I care!"
Oct. 22, 2010, 10 p.m. CST
Oct. 22, 2010, 10:13 p.m. CST
Everything is bigger in Texas... even the loses
Oct. 22, 2010, 10:22 p.m. CST
Aunt Peggy couldn't bear it!
Oct. 22, 2010, 10:38 p.m. CST
Hmm, the cake is whole so he didn't spill a piece on his costume. Perhaps he leaned into it? A mystery...
Oct. 23, 2010, 12:57 a.m. CST
by Rev. Slappy
That Limey cocksucker can rot in hell for all I care.
Oct. 23, 2010, 2:17 a.m. CST
My favorite Universal Frankenstein film.
Oct. 23, 2010, 3:02 a.m. CST
...Oooohhh. I C Wat U Did Thar!!! hurrr derrr!!!
Oct. 23, 2010, 8:43 a.m. CST
When you read about his life and what he endure--being part Indian in England as a schoolboy and being taunted about his dark complection,not geting his "breakthrough role" until he had already done 8 films nd was 44 years old, the damage the brace he wore to play the monster did to his back (he ended up in a wheelchair with several major spinal surgeries) and then you look at what he was paid for his roles, it's really amazing.He was also a founding member of the Screen Actor's Guild. I wish they would do a biopic about him--I always thought Jeremy Irons looked exactly right for the part.
Oct. 23, 2010, 11:03 a.m. CST
Curse you for beating me to it!!!
Oct. 23, 2010, 11:35 a.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
Oct. 23, 2010, 12:31 p.m. CST
there are no haters here. I believe they are quoting Martin Landau's Bela Lugosi from Ed Wood.
Oct. 23, 2010, 1:31 p.m. CST
Oisin's right. There's been that confusion in other Karloff/Lagosi talkbacks. Nobody is actually trashing Karloff, it's more like good natured teasing. If anybody (other than Landau doing Lagosi) were to genuinely bitch about Karloff's portrayal of the monster, they deserve to be bitch slapped all the way back to the 1930s.
Oct. 23, 2010, 1:32 p.m. CST
Oct. 23, 2010, 3:17 p.m. CST
That could be bad.
Oct. 23, 2010, 7:26 p.m. CST
That was pretty fucking funny. Thining of Peter Boyle and Gene Hackman after that ;-)
Oct. 24, 2010, 2:14 a.m. CST
by Missing Dink
Oct. 24, 2010, 4:16 p.m. CST
... with Bela as the Monster instead of Karloff. It was just... off. Bela's great, but the Monster just should've been Karloff. (I'm not even going to get into Robert DeNiro as half-rotted homeless guy monster, that one is best forgotten).
Oct. 25, 2010, 8:13 a.m. CST
...looks like Rasputin in those pics.
Oct. 30, 2010, 9:55 a.m. CST
It's still a great movie. The art direction is amazing. Lugosi steals the show, but Karloff gets a few good moments in near the end. Rathbone and Atwill match wits deliciously. And that music! This needs a Blu-ray release to capture all of the exquisite detail in the sets and photography.
Nov. 12, 2010, 5:05 p.m. CST
But I'll take any Karloff/Lugosi/Rathbone stuff I can get. When you really look at all the K-Frank movies, Son really does stand out as the best (even if Basil seems wacked on Meth)
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts