The L.A. Times Publishes An Early Rave For The Guillermo Del Toro-Produced Remake Of DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK!
Just last night, Harry and I were marveling at Guillermo del Toro's knack for discovering talented young filmmakers who share his macabre sensibilities. From Juan Antonio Bayona's masterfully-crafted THE ORPHANGE to Guillem Morales's JULIA'S EYES (which played very well at Fantastic Fest this week), he's establishing an aesthetic that is unmistakably his, while also developing new voices that will likely mature and flourish on their own. Del Toro is an industry unto himself now; in a decade, he could have a catalogue of horror films comparable to the '50s-'60s output from Hammer.
According to the L.A. Times' John Horn, he's got another indelible fright flick on the way with Troy Nixey's remake of DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK. As an avowed fan of the original (which scared the crap out of me as a kid), I'm insanely jealous that Horn got a chance to check this film out - though it's heartening to know that Nixey and del Toro have delivered the goods. Not that there was ever any doubt.
Horn says the film is "intensely scary", calling the scares "as much psychological as they are physical". The narrative now centers on a ten-year-old girl being frightened by the Homunculi (instead of a bored middle-aged housewife in the '73 film), which is interesting seeing as how the movie will evidently be sporting an R-rating when it hits theaters on January 21st, 2011.
This is one to look forward to, folks. Here's the very effective teaser that debuted last July at Comic Con...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 1, 2010, 6 p.m. CST
to say first
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:01 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:06 p.m. CST
by A G
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:10 p.m. CST
I was surprised to see it already has an "R" rating. Looking forward to it.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:21 p.m. CST
... and TRILOGY OF TERROR were among some of the best T.V. horror movies of that time. Both scared the hell out of me. Add NIGHT GALLERY, and no wonder I ended up the way I did.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:22 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:25 p.m. CST
A group of pesky tweens break into a mall only to be chased by a fat mall cop hurling doughnuts at them.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:28 p.m. CST
Despite having recurring nightmares of a demonic Italian plumber jumping out of his bathroom sink and then chasing him around the house in a littel car, little Bobby's parents still buy him *that* game.<p>Horror and therapy sessions commence.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:31 p.m. CST
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is convinced that starring in the movie version of a reversed television show will damage his already faltering Hollywood career. His agent disagrees.<p>Followed by DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE TOOTH FAIRY.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:33 p.m. CST
Mrs Smith thinks it looks like the possessed skeleton of a cow. Mr Smith thinks it's a comment on the dairy industry.<p>One of them is right. Terribly right.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:36 p.m. CST
And so I'm going. I'll dream of a world where AICN has an edit feature so I can clear up all of my sleep-deprived errors and D.Vader still roams the talkbacks.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:40 p.m. CST
Sounds made up. I'm not saying it is, but I'm fairly certain this is the first time I've ever come across the name Nixey.
Oct. 1, 2010, 6:50 p.m. CST
Also effective was BAD RONALD. Just revisited that last year (thanks to the Warner Archive). It's aged the best out of those '70s made-for-TV horror flicks.
Oct. 1, 2010, 7:03 p.m. CST
I mean I think you're the best. Man, you've had a rough time.<BR><BR>I love Del Toro too. Seriously.<BR><BR>Take care, man. Smooches to you and yours.
Oct. 1, 2010, 7:29 p.m. CST
by The Dum Guy
<br><br>Why did D. Vader get banned.<br><br>...and yes, that is a statement.
Oct. 1, 2010, 7:29 p.m. CST
and, NEVER forgot it. The mere mention of the name would make me recall how scary it was!
Oct. 1, 2010, 9:40 p.m. CST
this trailer drew serious cackles at my theater for Let Me In tonight
Oct. 2, 2010, 2:40 a.m. CST
Oct. 2, 2010, 5:45 a.m. CST
Harry has one of GDT's nuts permanently lodged in his mouth while Nick Nunziata (associate producer of this movie) has been on the other for almost a decade while both fight for the honor of throatng the shaft and taking the man milk. You know, Martin Scorcese, Brian DePalma, Francis Ford Coppola etc.. weren't a bunch of internet losers c lowing everyone they came into contact with to get in movie production. They actually *GASP* made short films, wrote scripts and raised financing on their own to make their flicks. People like Knowles, Nunziata, McWeeny, Faraci etc... are fucking parasites.
Oct. 2, 2010, 10:24 a.m. CST
the reincarnated spirit of Vader living through Guillermo, just to get his hands on those who did him wrong. and lets be honest, you know he puts his hands all over Harry and Beaks
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:01 p.m. CST
Just a bunch of fucks and oh shits.
Oct. 2, 2010, 4:44 p.m. CST
was a genuinely scary TV series (referring to the supernatural episodes). Sample THE HUNGRY GLASS, written by Robert ("Psycho") Bloch, w/ Russell Johnson and William Shatner. http://www.guba.com/watch/3000139662/Thriller-The-Hungry-Glass
Oct. 2, 2010, 11:33 p.m. CST
Looks like it's finished. January's when the turkeys are dumped on the public.
Oct. 3, 2010, 4:38 a.m. CST
by Fineus Fog
it's not quite finished
Oct. 3, 2010, 10:33 a.m. CST
Curious to see the remake. I will see anything associated with Del Toro.
Oct. 4, 2010, 8 a.m. CST
Music to my ears. Physical scares are barely even scares. Just cheap manipulation. That's why Japanese horror was so popular (until saturation) because something like Ringu drip-fed dread throughout the whole film, not just relying on boo scares.
Oct. 4, 2010, 5:16 p.m. CST
isn't a good sign. Still, Cloverfield got released in January, so maybe there's hope. And, I hate Warner Archives and DVD-Rs, so maybe the original might see light on DVD if this does well.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 254 total posts 139 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 542 total posts 29 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 262 total posts 19 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 272 total posts 19 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 42 total posts 7 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 201 total posts 4 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 345 total posts 3 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 552 total posts 3 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 157 total posts 2 posts