Second film of Fantastic Fest for Harry is 14 BLADES with Donnie Yen in Full on Jedi mode!
Hey Folks, Harry here with another quick look at the film I just got out of... Director Daniel Lee's 14 BLADES is one of those mechanical martial arts flicks that is one part James Bond, one part Shaw Brothers classic and one part modern romantic martial arts fantasy. Donnie Yen plays Qing Long, a member of the Jin Yi Wei and is the master of the 14 blades in the title. As is usual, people start dying and everything is one gigantic cluster fuck, and the only thing standing in the way between a civil war and general suck age for the life of the people of China is if Donnie Yen can protect the royal seal and deliver it safely to the Emperor. The film also stars the beautiful and charming Wei Zhao as Qiao Hua as a young woman promised into marriage to someone she isn't looking forward to. She ends up going along on this adventure after an early ambush. Kate Tsui plays the deadly Tuo Tuo and man... This is what Joss Whedon should look at to up the Black Widow's badassery. holy shit that women is a fucking nightmare to fight. I can't remember the name of the actor playing the head of a roving band of bandits called the Sky Eagles, but holy shit he rules! Actually the whole movie does. Wish the cg was a bit better, but it didn't distract terribly. If you love Donnie Yen, you are going to love this a lot. So far Fantastic Fest is batting a 1000! Next is Tony Jaa in Ong Bak 3... Decided to kick my fest off with Korean, Hong Kong and Thai badaasery... If you are also at Fantastic Fest be sure to send your reviews to email@example.com.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 23, 2010, 6:05 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2010, 6:18 p.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
Sept. 23, 2010, 6:25 p.m. CST
14 Blade sucked. There was nothing redeeming about the movie expect the fighting at times. The full on CG was awful and the story and emotions was worse.
Sept. 23, 2010, 6:27 p.m. CST
The only thing good about the movie was the fighting but that's all you can ask from Tony Jaa.
Sept. 23, 2010, 7:29 p.m. CST
Donnie Yen rules. Just caught Ip Man recently and it had more Yen action than I expected. It's a treat to watch him kick ass.
Sept. 23, 2010, 7:43 p.m. CST
You know it to be true lots of repeated plot play and scenes. The dojo in KOTD vs the Crazy 8's. The Dragon Kiss vs Five Point Palm. The Daughter shit. Yeap.
Sept. 23, 2010, 8:01 p.m. CST
Where's the beef!?!?!?
Sept. 23, 2010, 9:35 p.m. CST
As a huge Donnie Yen/HK cinema fan, I have to say 14 Blade was very underwhelming. It has some very nice fight sequences, but the story, as it's usually the case with Daniel Lee's movies, is not structured properly. Plus, while the veil girl is hot, her CGI enhanced fighting sucked. For awesome HK movies, you'd be better off watching Ip Man 1 and/or 2, Ip Man: The Legend Begins, or the uber-fantastic Gallants.
Sept. 24, 2010, 12:37 a.m. CST
by nolan bautista
first fight= main character kicks ass to establish himself as the "guy" second/third fight= maybe he gets his ass kicked a liitle bit so the viewers can relate to his vulnerability last fight= he lays down a major ass whoopin' against superior numbers and saves the day/kingdom/honor and maybe gets the girl
Sept. 24, 2010, 3:37 a.m. CST
In a major way. Even after all these years. Love her in everything she does.
Sept. 24, 2010, 7:03 a.m. CST
Ong Bak 3 is abysmal.
Sept. 24, 2010, 7:06 a.m. CST
from what I remember, although all the latest Kung Fu flicks have been pretty underwhelming, this was one of the better ones. Ong Bak 3 though is worse than 2.
Sept. 24, 2010, 8:01 a.m. CST
This is the girl from Shaolin Soccer, isnt it?
Sept. 24, 2010, 2:02 p.m. CST
Can't wait to see this!
Sept. 24, 2010, 3:13 p.m. CST
Since this has Sammo Hung and Zhao Wei in it, I give it a better chance of being good than the average Donnie Yen flick.
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 136 total posts 22 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 174 total posts 19 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 48 total posts 17 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 123 total posts 13 posts
- Scott Glenn Joins Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, Rosario Dawson, Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll For Netflix’s DAREDEVIL Series!! -- 55 total posts 12 posts
- New Poster for V/H/S: VIRAL!!! -- 23 total posts 6 posts
- Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett to take on I SAW THE DEVIL REMAKE!!!!!!!! -- 48 total posts 4 posts
- Look Upon The Bizarre, Horrible, And Possibly Awesome Insanity Of This DEAD SNOW 2 Trailer!! -- 53 total posts 4 posts
- Kelvington Says Tonight’s DOCTOR WHO Is A Perfect Episode – Were It Not For The Episode’s Foreshadowing!! -- 155 total posts 4 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 86 total posts 4 posts