WOOCHI kicks off Fantastic Fest for Harry with whimsical wonders and fantasy!
Hey folks Harry here working on my iPad at Fantastic Fest! just got out of my first film of the fest, called WOOCHI about a feudal era would be wizard and all around scoundrel named Woochi.
in many ways this struck me as a slightly more whimsical version of Dia De La Bestia or Timur's Nightwatchor Daywatch. About five hundred years ago some very mystical shit went down with three Taoist gods, weird animal spirit goblins and Woochi with his dog, who is mostly in human form, but does get used as a horse. This film was an absolute delight, the type of film that I come to Fantastic Fest for.
It spans feudal era Korea as well as modern day. The effects are so much fun. The animal spirits are incredibly badass, they're done with CG - but it really put NARNIA to shame. At a pure design stand point and at a dynamic level. WOOCHI might have had a few too Some day we'll see this kinda fantasying western films, the closest we have is Terry Gilliam and the recent Stardust. Director Dong Hun Choi is someone to keep an eye on.
The sheer whimsy and fun of this film has really stuck with me over the course of this first day of FANTASTIC FEST. As I'm sitting here putting the finishing touches on a few of these festival write-ups - it just struck me that this is a little bit like a live action Miyazaki mysticism type film. The way Wizards move is so cool. If you love Stephen Chow's amazing A CHINESE ODYSSEY - then you're very likely to love this. This is less silly, more polished, perhaps less quirkily brilliant - but damn it makes me happy to even think about it.
now it is time for 14 BLADES, just want to get as many mini reviews during the fest. See y'all 'round!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 23, 2010, 3:17 p.m. CST
Thought I'd break the trend.
Sept. 23, 2010, 3:18 p.m. CST
by Nice Marmot
. . . will be the iPad making Harry's reporting 90% more coherent.
Sept. 23, 2010, 3:25 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2010, 3:37 p.m. CST
For one second I tought "Really? Chewbacca?"
Sept. 23, 2010, 3:45 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2010, 4:13 p.m. CST
...and I say that as a fan of the book and nearly everyone involved with the movie.
Sept. 23, 2010, 4:27 p.m. CST
by Le Vicious Fishus
Harry, you bastard... How 'bout an AICN free iPad giveaway, huh?<BR><BR>Huh?
Sept. 23, 2010, 4:29 p.m. CST
look's like it could be good though. Like Kung Fu Hustle.
Sept. 23, 2010, 4:34 p.m. CST
It's over the top but I enjoyed it more than True legend and the abysmal Ong Bak 3
Sept. 23, 2010, 5:01 p.m. CST
You know, like Youtube does....only not in Austin. The first one can be in New York City. We can meet at a Russian bathhouse, we can take off all our clothes and get naked, line up in a big long row, and whip each others' backs with those things used for whipping backs in Russian bathhouses. Then, we can play wrestle and re-enact the bathhouse scene from Eastern Promises.
Sept. 23, 2010, 5:05 p.m. CST
by Harry Weinstein
It's a little slow up front but it pays off in the end. Solid mainstream action/comedy filmmaking that handles its more fantastic elements quite gracefully. It won't change your perceptions of cinema, but it kept me thoroughly entertained start to end.
Sept. 23, 2010, 5:09 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2010, 5:41 p.m. CST
by wampa 1
...but it sure smells good!
Sept. 23, 2010, 6:17 p.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
Sept. 24, 2010, 1:57 a.m. CST
fun,solid flick, however the cgi is not that great. But the characters are fun. Woochi is a Korean mythological figure btw, not just a character made up for this film..
Sept. 24, 2010, 10:59 a.m. CST
Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Anyway this trailer sucked. Looked like Charlie Chan meets The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Feh.
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 107 total posts 107 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 97 total posts 97 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 157 total posts 74 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 94 total posts 52 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 198 total posts 34 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 328 total posts 33 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 91 total posts 30 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 38 total posts 27 posts
- EXPENDABLES 3 launches a ton of Comic Con posters! -- 87 total posts 26 posts
- He's not 007 anymore, but Pierce Brosnan is still kicking ass across Europe in the full trailer for THE NOVEMBER MAN! -- 71 total posts 22 posts