Albert Brooks To Play Deadly Mobster Opposite Mulligan, Gosling and Cranston in DRIVE, From The Director Of BRONSON!!
I am – Hercules!!
Genius comedian/filmmaker Albert Brooks, whose big-screen métier has been trafficking in frustrated nebbishes, will play badass New York mobster Bernie Rose in “Drive,” based on the 2004 James Sallis novel about a Los Angeles getaway driver.
Impossible? Remember how great Bill Murray was as the mob boss in “Mad Dog and Glory”?
Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn (“Bronson”) from a screenplay by Hossein Amini (“Killshot”), “Drive” stars also Ryan Gosling (“Lars and the Real Girl”), Carey Mulligan (“An Education,” “Wall Street II”) and Bryan Cranston (“Breaking Bad”).
Find all of the Deadline’s story on the matter, which also indicates Brooks has written a sci-fi novel due next year, here.
Follow Herc on Twitter!!
Follow Evil Herc on Twitter!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:09 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:11 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:17 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:22 p.m. CST
i sure do wonder what they were all driving for
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:25 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:34 p.m. CST
by future help
Real Life (or) Reel Life is on one of my ALL time greatest Comedies List.
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:50 p.m. CST
in the history of history: <p>Real Life <br>Modern Romance <br>Lost in America <br>Defending Your Life <p>A bird lives in a ROUND STICK!!
Aug. 26, 2010, 7:56 p.m. CST
Okay Nicolas Winding Refn...time to shine. Killshot was an okay script though the parts with some weird "Toronto mafia" were horribly phoned in. <P> This has a lot of potential.
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:04 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:08 p.m. CST
by Dr Lizardo
I can totally see this. The right comedian in the right evil role can work really, really well.
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:11 p.m. CST
Was king of the nebbish actors David Paymer in the TV show Line of Fire. Damn he was great in that quickly canceled show.
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:16 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:28 p.m. CST
yeah he was!
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:40 p.m. CST
Yes, there are directors who employ "Kubrickian" touches, but if they're going to be great, they're going to make their own names and people will begin to look for the next one of them. <p>BRONSON was indeed very good, and it was somewhat reminiscent of Kubrick, but it felt like I was watching the work of a director with a mostly original, unique style. It's not fair to Refn to keep throwing the Kubrick comparisons at him. Let his movies stand on their own.
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:41 p.m. CST
Larry David in Scorsese's "movie" on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:46 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 8:53 p.m. CST
just so well done. every joke hits, and the story is actually pretty moving, in a cute way. and the (very small) twist ending is actually really clever, and no one ever sees it coming.
Aug. 26, 2010, 9:04 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 9:07 p.m. CST
by Josh Acid
Are two of my favorite movies of all time. I like Lost In America, and parts of Modern Romance but I kind of lump that one in with his more forgettable later movies like The Muse and Looking For Comedy In The Muslim World. Real Life is one of the most quoted movies between my brother and myself, and I'm man enough to admit that the ending of Defending Your Life makes me cry every time.
Aug. 26, 2010, 9:36 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 9:52 p.m. CST
I love those movies. Especially the first one.
Aug. 26, 2010, 9:59 p.m. CST
by Tar Heel
Other than voicework (Nemo, Simpsons movie) my last recollection of Albert Brooks was as the robbery victim in "Out of Sight." Wow, was that really 1998?
Aug. 26, 2010, 10:30 p.m. CST
just keeping the topic going...
Aug. 26, 2010, 10:37 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2010, 10:57 p.m. CST
Hell he was nebbish in Breaking Bad during the first part of the show. <br> Well Cranston did play Lucifer on some mediocre show about fallen angels.
Aug. 27, 2010, 12:16 a.m. CST
Great source novel, great cast and a great director
Aug. 27, 2010, 12:29 a.m. CST
by THEE Miracleman
Rip Torn kicks ass.
Aug. 27, 2010, 12:45 a.m. CST
by frank cotton
but not that funny. lots of comedians have made great villians, so i guess it could work
Aug. 27, 2010, 2:58 a.m. CST
according to Garry Shandling, landed Torn his Larry Sanders job. <p> Another Legacy of Brooks!!
Aug. 27, 2010, 4:48 a.m. CST
"You Only Move Twice" one of my favourite Simpsons episodes, definitely the one I quote the most!
Aug. 27, 2010, 7:38 a.m. CST
because of Uma's tits... Nebbish nipples...
Aug. 27, 2010, 7:39 a.m. CST
...Actually, all I remember about that movie was Uma Thurman's jubblies... and that the movie sucked...
Aug. 27, 2010, 8:01 a.m. CST
by Stuntcock Mike
High hopes for this one, although even the previous Neil Marshall/Hugh Jackman announcement a few years ago would've been fine.
Aug. 27, 2010, 9:05 a.m. CST
Albert Brooks will knock this role out of the park. Don't know if the movie will be good, but I can pretty much guarantee that Albert Brooks will kill.
Aug. 27, 2010, 10:41 a.m. CST
love the film. Great cast, De Niro, Thurman, Murray and of course David Caruso, all on fine form.
Aug. 27, 2010, 11:55 a.m. CST
Bitter and Angry, with a tinge of humanity. No one does that better. i.e. Broadcast News. He used to kill every time he went on Carson. Brooks doing DeNiro/Travis Bickle, had Johnny on the floor.
Aug. 30, 2010, 11:38 a.m. CST
The way it was shot, the music and editing were such an "homage" to clockwork that I really couldnt respect it aside from the leads performance. Just came off as a film students self-indulgent Kubrick fetish.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 491 total posts 344 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 461 total posts 92 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 183 total posts 69 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 419 total posts 68 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 207 total posts 31 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 24 total posts 24 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 65 total posts 18 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 215 total posts 17 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 93 total posts 15 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 89 total posts 8 posts