James Franco To Star In RICKY STANICKY! Peyton Reed To Not Direct!
Several months ago, Heat Vision reported that James Franco was set to star in RICKY STANICKY, a comedy written by BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA mastermind Jeff Bushell. The story centers on a group of childhood friends who, after accidentally burning down some dude's house, invent the fictitious troublemaker of the title to take the blame. Fast-forward twenty or so years, and the friends are still using Stanicky to get out of trouble with their wives. This works brilliantly until the wives demand an audience with their nonexistent buddy, thus forcing the boys to hire an actor (Franco) to play the elusive Stanicky.
The film is set up at Summit, and is currently out to directors. Since this is a studio comedy looking to attract top-tier comedic talent, it would make sense for Summit to pursue a guy like Peyton Reed; he's three-for-three with mainstream-skewing comedies (BRING IT ON, THE BREAK-UP and YES MAN), and has solid relationships with some of the funniest people in Hollywood. However, contrary to a rumor that's been circulating for the last week or so, Reed is not in talks to direct RICKY STANICKY. In fact, he hasn't even taken a meeting on the project, so I have no idea where this story came from.
When I spoke with Reed last July prior to the New Beverly's 10th Anniversary screening of BRING IT ON, he told me he was close to finishing a original screenplay he hopes to direct. That's where his focus is right now.
So there's your RICKY STANICKY update for August 10, 2010. You're welcome.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:15 p.m. CST
by The Bicycle Sharer
Very good on that show.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:19 p.m. CST
by Wolfman Nards
If pulled off right, it could be damn funny. It could also be fucking terrible. Still though - looking forward to this.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:22 p.m. CST
Just what we needed, sad because Franco is funny as hell.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:28 p.m. CST
so I guess Peyton Reed IS out of the question...
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:28 p.m. CST
Bring It On is okay, Down With Love is solid, but The Break-Up and Yes Man are both terrible, yet this site makes him out to be the next Douglas Sirk or something.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:44 p.m. CST
by Dapper Swindler
Aug. 10, 2010, 4:01 p.m. CST
where the hell is it, Green lantern is bigger then thor and captain america combined, lets get some coverage
Aug. 10, 2010, 4:14 p.m. CST
he might have 3 out of 4 commercial successes, but down with love is the only tolerable film- a nice throwback to the 50's-
Aug. 10, 2010, 4:39 p.m. CST
Keep Seth Rogan out of this. Bring in some new blood.
Aug. 10, 2010, 5:15 p.m. CST
In fact, I avoided watching it, expecting a Liar, Liar retread. When I finally sat down and watched it on HBO, I was pleasantly surprised. By the numbers, but capable, and it made me laugh in more than a few parts. Not too long, enjoyable, and it had Zooey Deschanel. I liked it.
Aug. 10, 2010, 6:39 p.m. CST
Or painting my kitchen. That's all the news I've got on Reed here.
Aug. 10, 2010, 6:58 p.m. CST
UNC graduate making GOOD! <p> Along with Michael Jordan, Andy Griffith, and Mia Hamm, among others, I meant.
Aug. 10, 2010, 7:41 p.m. CST
because come on, Ricky Stanicky sounds like he gives fat girls mustache rides on a daily basis
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:13 p.m. CST
(comment removed for explicit sexual language)
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:25 p.m. CST
right now? How can he find the time for this?
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:26 p.m. CST
batshit insane, like Joaquin Phoenix's rap career
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:35 p.m. CST
Aug. 11, 2010, 12:09 a.m. CST
by Bass Ackwards
Introducing his body pillow girlfriend Mika Tan, complete with a little bow, cracks me up every time. That is all I have to contribute.
Aug. 11, 2010, 9:22 a.m. CST
I think he's doing the General Hospital role as research for another role, or for his film class or something. That's what I've heard at least. I'd like to meet him. He strikes me as a guy that loves his work, but isn't caught up in the pretentiousness of the Hollywood scene. I deduce this from repeat viewings of Pineapple Express and anecdotes of friends of friends that claim to have met him.
Down With Love is fantastic. The man should have done a period Fantastic Four movie! Yes, there's a very good chance *that* would get bankrolled...!
Aug. 11, 2010, 9:49 a.m. CST
So his brother could be on Scrubs 2.suck...
Aug. 11, 2010, 4:36 p.m. CST
Wif some xtrey stank on it.
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 27 total posts 23 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 384 total posts 12 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 423 total posts 10 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 720 total posts 6 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 5 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 31 total posts 2 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 569 total posts 2 posts
- "Do you understand what it's like to be a genius?!!" Dan Harmon takes his show on the road in this trailer for HARMONTOWN! -- 19 total posts 1 post