James Franco To Star In RICKY STANICKY! Peyton Reed To Not Direct!
Several months ago, Heat Vision reported that James Franco was set to star in RICKY STANICKY, a comedy written by BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA mastermind Jeff Bushell. The story centers on a group of childhood friends who, after accidentally burning down some dude's house, invent the fictitious troublemaker of the title to take the blame. Fast-forward twenty or so years, and the friends are still using Stanicky to get out of trouble with their wives. This works brilliantly until the wives demand an audience with their nonexistent buddy, thus forcing the boys to hire an actor (Franco) to play the elusive Stanicky.
The film is set up at Summit, and is currently out to directors. Since this is a studio comedy looking to attract top-tier comedic talent, it would make sense for Summit to pursue a guy like Peyton Reed; he's three-for-three with mainstream-skewing comedies (BRING IT ON, THE BREAK-UP and YES MAN), and has solid relationships with some of the funniest people in Hollywood. However, contrary to a rumor that's been circulating for the last week or so, Reed is not in talks to direct RICKY STANICKY. In fact, he hasn't even taken a meeting on the project, so I have no idea where this story came from.
When I spoke with Reed last July prior to the New Beverly's 10th Anniversary screening of BRING IT ON, he told me he was close to finishing a original screenplay he hopes to direct. That's where his focus is right now.
So there's your RICKY STANICKY update for August 10, 2010. You're welcome.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:15 p.m. CST
by The Bicycle Sharer
Very good on that show.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:19 p.m. CST
by Wolfman Nards
If pulled off right, it could be damn funny. It could also be fucking terrible. Still though - looking forward to this.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:22 p.m. CST
Just what we needed, sad because Franco is funny as hell.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:28 p.m. CST
so I guess Peyton Reed IS out of the question...
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:28 p.m. CST
Bring It On is okay, Down With Love is solid, but The Break-Up and Yes Man are both terrible, yet this site makes him out to be the next Douglas Sirk or something.
Aug. 10, 2010, 3:44 p.m. CST
by Dapper Swindler
Aug. 10, 2010, 4:01 p.m. CST
where the hell is it, Green lantern is bigger then thor and captain america combined, lets get some coverage
Aug. 10, 2010, 4:14 p.m. CST
he might have 3 out of 4 commercial successes, but down with love is the only tolerable film- a nice throwback to the 50's-
Aug. 10, 2010, 4:39 p.m. CST
Keep Seth Rogan out of this. Bring in some new blood.
Aug. 10, 2010, 5:15 p.m. CST
In fact, I avoided watching it, expecting a Liar, Liar retread. When I finally sat down and watched it on HBO, I was pleasantly surprised. By the numbers, but capable, and it made me laugh in more than a few parts. Not too long, enjoyable, and it had Zooey Deschanel. I liked it.
Aug. 10, 2010, 6:39 p.m. CST
Or painting my kitchen. That's all the news I've got on Reed here.
Aug. 10, 2010, 6:58 p.m. CST
UNC graduate making GOOD! <p> Along with Michael Jordan, Andy Griffith, and Mia Hamm, among others, I meant.
Aug. 10, 2010, 7:41 p.m. CST
because come on, Ricky Stanicky sounds like he gives fat girls mustache rides on a daily basis
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:13 p.m. CST
(comment removed for explicit sexual language)
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:25 p.m. CST
right now? How can he find the time for this?
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:26 p.m. CST
batshit insane, like Joaquin Phoenix's rap career
Aug. 10, 2010, 10:35 p.m. CST
Aug. 11, 2010, 12:09 a.m. CST
by Bass Ackwards
Introducing his body pillow girlfriend Mika Tan, complete with a little bow, cracks me up every time. That is all I have to contribute.
Aug. 11, 2010, 9:22 a.m. CST
I think he's doing the General Hospital role as research for another role, or for his film class or something. That's what I've heard at least. I'd like to meet him. He strikes me as a guy that loves his work, but isn't caught up in the pretentiousness of the Hollywood scene. I deduce this from repeat viewings of Pineapple Express and anecdotes of friends of friends that claim to have met him.
Down With Love is fantastic. The man should have done a period Fantastic Four movie! Yes, there's a very good chance *that* would get bankrolled...!
Aug. 11, 2010, 9:49 a.m. CST
So his brother could be on Scrubs 2.suck...
Aug. 11, 2010, 4:36 p.m. CST
Wif some xtrey stank on it.
- Who has been offered the directing gig on Legendary's SKULL ISLAND!?! -- 201 total posts 177 posts
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 245 total posts 141 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 136 total posts 136 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 516 total posts 126 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 692 total posts 90 posts
- George R.R. Martin Scales Back HBO Activity To Focus On Completing WINDS OF WINTER!! -- 112 total posts 66 posts
- Help Robert Meyer Burnett And Mark A. Altman Kickstart A Series Revisitation Of Their Ode To Geekosity, FREE ENTERPRISE!! -- 40 total posts 39 posts
- Eva Green in Talks for Tim Burton's MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN! -- 102 total posts 38 posts
- Stern's TALENT!! New DRUNK, TYRANT, NATHAN, CARTER, GEAR, STORAGE, SHIPPING, LOSS, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR & PAINS!! WIFE SWAP & DEGRASSI Finales!! Chris Pratt & Judy Greer On LETTERMAN!! Maggie Gyllenhaal & Lee Pace On SETH!! Jamie Chung On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 38 total posts 38 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 177 total posts 32 posts