Ronald D. Moore Says He
‘Firmly' Believes Syfy Will Give
CAPRICA A Second Season!!
I am – Hercules!!
Things gleaned from Friday morning’s “Caprica” panel at Comic-Con:
• Though there’s no official word from Syfy, “Caprica” creator Ronald D. Moore says he “firmly believes” the series will get a second season. The second half of the series’ first season hits Syfy in January.
• Moore and producing partner David Eick seemed to be enjoying morning tequila shots onstage.
• When an audience member suggested the appearance of a very young Doc Cottle in “Caprica,” Eick called it a great idea but Moore described it as venturing into one of the “dangers zones” of the show.
• The second half of season one will see the Greystones hiding in buccaneer outfits.
• When cast member James Marsters commented that Clarice Willow’s group marriage reminded him of Robert Heinlein’s “The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress,” a surprised-looking Moore said that book may have been the inspiration for it.
• It was noted that the first meeting to discuss “Caprica” occurred nearly five years ago, and that “Battlestar Galactica” labored to steer clear of colonial history in its final two seasons so as to minimize restrictions on “Caprica.”
• When an audience member asked about Universal’s plans for a “Galactica” movie, the panelists – who are not involved with it – shrugged. When the moderator clarified for audience they were talking about an unrelated big-screen remake from Bryan Singer, Moore interjected, “We KNOW what it is.” Which got a big laugh.
• Coming first-season episodes will visit Gemenon and make reference to the politics and culture of the Adamas’ native Tauron.
• When someone asked who the true creator of the Cylons was, Eick said “Daniel” but Moore said “Zoe.”
• When somebody asked about widely reported plans for another Moore-produced “Battlestar” spin-off, Moore jokingly asked for the next question.
• Moore said there were discussions of having petite Alessandra Torresani stand on a box when she was playing the much taller Zoe Cylon so sightlines would be consistent when she interacted with her co-stars – but this strategy was not pursued.
• When Torresani was asked if she had anything in common with Zoe, she revealed she was good at math and science and both her parents were scientists specializing in technology. She said her dad even invented a chip for IBM.
• Moore revealed we would see more of the late Tamara Adama this season.
Follow Herc on Twitter!!
Follow Evil Herc on Twitter!!
“Mr. Show: The Complete Series,” $47.49 last week, is momentarily $20.99!! (58% Off!!)
106 Blu-rays Under $10!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 24, 2010, 12:41 a.m. CST
July 24, 2010, 12:41 a.m. CST
July 24, 2010, 12:42 a.m. CST
Forget all the hating, I thought the last season ended really strongly. Oh, first second and third!
July 24, 2010, 12:44 a.m. CST
its been about 6 months since that awful cgi explosion. By january i'll have forgotten everything thats happened on this show. Shame, as it was ticking along quite nicely... Hey american networks! Breaks kill shows! Stop it now, ok?
July 24, 2010, 12:44 a.m. CST
July 24, 2010, 12:47 a.m. CST
realized that someone had discoved he's been ripping off ideas for years.
July 24, 2010, 1:01 a.m. CST
Pop eats itself. Your favorite media works probably "ripped off" ideas from other sources. I thought his version of BSG was brilliant.
July 24, 2010, 1:23 a.m. CST
by Rocco Curioso
"Joanie And Chachie" was to "Happy Days". Which technically made Sam Anders the postmodern Fonz, but that's beside the point.
July 24, 2010, 2:03 a.m. CST
July 24, 2010, 2:07 a.m. CST
ever not drinking? Ahh well, feelings for the ending of BSG aside, he's a pretty entertaining and interesting writer. I was under the impression that he wasn't all that involved in the actual Caprica series beyond writing the miniseries. I think BSG suffered a lot from Moore and Eik being pulled away by other projects. Both had at least three pilots between them that I can think of off the top of my head during the run of the show. I think a lot of the aimlessness can be attributed to that, especially towards the end.
July 24, 2010, 3:33 a.m. CST
There doesn't seem to be a point to calling the next 10 episodes as the second half of season 1. Its a frakking year later. What part of the meaning of "season" do they not understand? When RDM said he's expecting an order for season 2 to be made, he's talking about episodes we wouldn't see until 2012 and 2013, judging by SyFy's track record.
July 24, 2010, 3:58 a.m. CST
by the fourth episode. It settled in & became a different story than BSG. The baggage that they carried from BSG became lighter as their own story grew.
July 24, 2010, 4:39 a.m. CST
and not actually start filming season 2?
July 24, 2010, 5:43 a.m. CST
A lot of actors can do movies - even other TV series - during the downtime.
July 24, 2010, 6:32 a.m. CST
As if the final episode of Galactica wasn't terrible enough already, they have to continue to drag its legacy down even more. Craprica is "Enterprise" awful. I loved almost every last bit of Moore's Galactica, up until and excepting the end, please, please just stop ruining its memory before it becomes a total joke like Trek.
July 24, 2010, 7:20 a.m. CST
by The McPoyle Clan
about the momentum-killing and interest-sapping schedule delay?
July 24, 2010, 7:28 a.m. CST
STFU, you know nothing about good television.
July 24, 2010, 9:44 a.m. CST
by mr. smith
so it doesn't get any later. scratch that. don't care.
July 24, 2010, 10:34 a.m. CST
Pointless boardroom intrigue? A killer robot who has to escape from a virtually unguarded home by internet dating (and it takes 6 episodes), a film noir video game that doesn't seem to mean anything? And lots of long loving looks and sighing by the Greystones. I don't need it to be all fighting or explosions, but a lot of the 'character' stuff they are doing is uninvolving and cliched. It feels like the writers don't know where it's going and they don't know how to get there so they're drawing out every moment in order to give them more time to figure it out. It's sad. I would have really liked to know what Zoe's connection was to the founding of the cylon's, how the church of the one turns into the cylon religion and whether or not Daniel Greystone's headband net lives on in the Cylons as their ability to project themselves into a virtual world. And whether all of this originates on Kobol...
July 24, 2010, 11:58 a.m. CST
from James Marster's character's scenes. One ep he's just in a scene or two, and suddenly he's crucial to the plot. Did they cut some crucial scenes?
July 24, 2010, 12:36 p.m. CST
Another spin off that is space based and includes some of the old characters would serve the new owners well. IMHO the space battles alone would generate repeated viewings via Comcast ON DEMAND.
July 24, 2010, 6:49 p.m. CST
I also demand cookies.
July 24, 2010, 7:30 p.m. CST
All of BSG takes place in the virtual world being built in Caprica and Zoe is God.
July 24, 2010, 10:55 p.m. CST
Hey, when's your show on? Wow, look at all these ghost hunters.
July 25, 2010, 8:18 a.m. CST
with UFC or wrestling or infomercials syfy aint scifi anymore. The network that burned farscape and mst3k for schlock
July 25, 2010, 11:48 a.m. CST
I agree entirely but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, could sully the magic of the pilot and those first two seasons of BSG. Some of the best TV ever made. The rest are merely great (except the ending of course).
July 25, 2010, 12:18 p.m. CST
is more Zoe Greystone at cyber group sex parties chowing down on other hot teens. Even so ... this show has some promise. Got a lot better by the 2nd half of the season, as most shows tend to do. I'd like to see it back.
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 211 total posts 76 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 245 total posts 54 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 106 total posts 20 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 55 total posts 18 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 33 total posts 9 posts
LOW WINTER SUN
2013-2013 -- 15 total posts 8 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 174 total posts 8 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 73 total posts 6 posts
- Capone feels burned by the out-of-control acting in OUT OF THE FURNACE!!! -- 56 total posts 5 posts