Win a Pair of Tickets to the LA Screening of Animated Film The Secret of Kells
Hi, AICN Anime's Scott Green here GKIDS, a distributor of independent films for family and art-house audiences, and the European sales agent Celluloid Dreams recently announced that GKIDS has acquired US distribution rights to Irish director Tomm Moore's animated film THE SECRET OF KELLS, the new animated film. See Jeremy W. Kaufmann's guest review here. An Academy qualifying run is set for Dec 4-10 at the AMC Burbank 8 in Los Angeles. Showtimes are 7 PM on weekdays and 2 PM on weekends. The film will be released theatrically in the US in March 2010. AICN is fortunate to have two pairs of tickets to the Saturday show at 2 PM, December 5th (see update below). The special screening will feature a post-show Q&A with director Tomm Moore. If you're interested, sent an e-mail with the subject "Secret of Kells" to email@example.com by midnight eastern time December 4th. Winners will be notified by e-mail.
SYNOPSIS: Magic, fantasy, and Celtic mythology come together in a riot of color and detail that dazzle the eyes, in this sweeping story about the power of imagination and faith to carry humanity through dark times. Young Brendan lives in the Abbey of Kells, a remote medieval outpost, where he works to fortify the abbey walls against barbarian raids. One day a celebrated master illuminator arrives from foreign lands carrying an ancient but unfinished book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him beyond the abbey's walls and into the enchanted forest, where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the fairy Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendan's determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil? THE SECRET OF KELLS is a France/Belgium/Ireland co-production of Les Armateurs, Viva Film, Cartoon Saloon and France 2 Cinema and features the voices of Brendan Gleeson (Harry Potter, In Bruges), Evan McGuire and Christen Mooney. The deal for THE SECRET OF KELLS was negotiated by Eric Beckman for GKIDS and Hengameh Panahi for Celluloid Dreams.
Director Tomm Moore's appearance has had to be moved from Saturday December 4th to the 2pm show on Sunday, December 5th. Winners will be contacted on Thursday night. If you receive an e-mail, please respond with your preference as to whether you'd like to attend the Saturday or Sunday screening by Friday afternoon.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 30, 2009, 8:33 a.m. CST
the secret is he likes to molest girls and video tape it and give them the golden shower... wait, we not talkin bout r kelly?
Nov. 30, 2009, 8:35 a.m. CST
Get it? Kells is kinda like Kelly. Good one.
Nov. 30, 2009, 8:44 a.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
Nov. 30, 2009, 9:28 a.m. CST
Starring the voices of Miley Cyrus and Ed Asner.
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:13 a.m. CST
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:14 a.m. CST
you could have seen this FOR FREE at the National Gallery of Art's East Wing Theater a few weeks ago. I love DC!
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:18 a.m. CST
All free software, folks. A new era of art films is on its way.
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:56 a.m. CST
but I always like Kel better anyways
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:12 p.m. CST
seen bits of it.
Dec. 7, 2009, 4:07 p.m. CST
by Lang The Cat
I have mixed feelings about this film. The subject is one very close to my heart, the Book of Kells and this film does a brilliant job of bringing the artwork alive. Making the Crom Cruig (sic?) a key item/creature was interesting, but I feel might have left children behind. If you like the work of Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack, Power Puff Girls, Clone Wars, Dexter's Lab), you will recognize the style of the artwork immediately. Unlike Tartakovsky, there is very little action in the film, the major villians are only shown as shadows (at least they are the source of the tension and potential for action). Instead this story seems to be about obedience vs art and probably loses most of the kids by avoiding the action promised at the beginning. < <Br> I also love the music (if you are familiar with the music of a group named Flatfish, the music in the film is very similar). Very lively, though the soundtrack apart from the reels (Irish tunes)tends to be a bit tedious. If there were more story, more action, better developed subpolts, then maybe this could be a film to compete with Tale of Despereaux or Ponyo. As it is, it has the excitement of a Time Life book, a good Time Life book, but still not competely brilliant. Having said that, would I still buy the DVD? Yes, I would, the artwork is enough for me. Would I expect any child to sit through this without nodding off? Nope. The film just doesn't have a dynamic story (not even close) despite having Vikings, monsters and treasure.
Feb. 15, 2010, 2:16 a.m. CST
NOtEPZAy <a href="http://zrexwl.com/ ">UOdekt</a>
Feb. 15, 2010, 2:17 a.m. CST
pFLwoVi <a href="http://jtwcga.com/ ">RPeRtBv</a>
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts