L.A. Readers! Mr. Beaks Wants To Send Two Ennio Morricone Fans To The Premiere Of INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS!!!
The good folks at The Weinstein Company have been kind enough to provide me with two tickets to the Los Angeles premiere of Quentin Tarantino's INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS on August 10th at Grauman's Chinese Theater. And while I obviously want to give these away to a massive Tarantino fan, I'd like for the attendee (and his/her guest) to be just as crazy about the film music of Ennio Morricone - because BASTERDS is as much a love letter to the Italian maestro as it is to war movies.
So if you're one of the enlightened who worship at the church of Morricone, I want you to shoot me an email (subject: "Morricone") and make a case (in 100 words or less) for what you believe to be the composer's finest score that isn't one of the following:
A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
DUCK, YOU SUCKER
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
Obviously, these are all wonderful works, but the man has written hundreds of scores for dozens of directors in every conceivable genre. And the quality of the movie hardly matters: some of my favorite Morricone cues can be found in films that, um, fall a little short of Leone.
There is no right answer here. Just because you answer back with THE BIG GUNDOWN (to which Eli Roth is now inextricably linked) doesn't mean you're going to win. The key might be introducing me to a Morricone score I've somehow overlooked. I don't know. You've got 100 words to convince me that you live and breathe Morricone. Good luck.
Deadline for entries is Wednesday, August 5th, noon pacific. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS opens commercially August 21st.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 31, 2009, 2:31 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 2:31 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 2:39 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 3:07 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
July 31, 2009, 3:08 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 3:40 p.m. CST
by Harry Weinstein
VIOLENT CITY and REVOLVER.
July 31, 2009, 3:44 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 3:46 p.m. CST
is Morricone's best score after Once Upon a Time in the West. Wish I could make it out to LA.
July 31, 2009, 3:50 p.m. CST
Morricone's version of a Carpenter score.
July 31, 2009, 3:55 p.m. CST
Here we go!
July 31, 2009, 4:52 p.m. CST
The Legend of 1900 FTW!
July 31, 2009, 5:15 p.m. CST
The one movie thats great yet unknown, Guns for Sebastion w/ Anthony Quinn. I'll go see this movie just for the music. I can give you many more but this is a good choice.
July 31, 2009, 5:27 p.m. CST
by axel fff
July 31, 2009, 5:52 p.m. CST
I love Ennio approximately eighteen billion times more than I like Quentin Tarantino. <P> I just watched The Mission last night actually, when I got home from the bar. Cried a little. I don't think I've ever seen that movie and NOT cried a little.
July 31, 2009, 10:19 p.m. CST
Sundown, The Strong, Carriage of the Spirits, Story and Death of a Soldier, Ecstacy of Gold, Trio...those tracks from the Good, Bad, Ugly soundtrack are a part of my life. No uber rare Morricone soundtrack that some film geek hipster can come up with will ever beat those. Wish I could lie and win the contest, but no fucking way. Thats the soundtrack of heaven.
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:02 a.m. CST
LOL "Just like Star Trek, we'll be getting a world premiere before anyone in the world,"
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:11 a.m. CST
by nolan bautista
Aug. 1, 2009, 5:23 p.m. CST
like 2 weeks before it came to the Y.S.?
Aug. 1, 2009, 9:19 p.m. CST
The blend of italian guitar and french horns were really excellent! Hell I could listen to that soundtrack every day! If I was ever to meet Ennio Morfricone, first I kiss his feet and then I would ask him if he had an extra copy laying around!<p>Btw, the music in Frantic and the movie itself is beautifully done. It all feels so French, yet it isn't, and it just makes you love the 80's even more!<p>I wish I had a copy to let my girlfriend listen to but prices on Ebay is freaking ridiculous!
Aug. 2, 2009, 7:09 a.m. CST
Damn You Michael Bay
Aug. 6, 2009, 7:57 p.m. CST
because i wanna get that score.
Aug. 7, 2009, 7:16 p.m. CST
and post the 3 runner ups as well just so's we can learn more about morricone...
Aug. 10, 2009, 11:15 a.m. CST
Has a winner been picked? Seeing that the screening is tonight?
Aug. 10, 2009, 7:33 p.m. CST
I'm guessing the tickets didn't come through, o'well, I would love to read some of the essays still. Hit me up.
Aug. 29, 2009, 1:28 p.m. CST
Dude! What happened to the contest winners? The Inglourious Basterds premiere is long gone body. I think you owe us some kind of re compensation for this trickery!
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 458 total posts 448 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 223 total posts 223 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 116 total posts 116 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 105 total posts 105 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 193 total posts 87 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 278 total posts 56 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 53 total posts 53 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 68 total posts 52 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 103 total posts 51 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 71 total posts 45 posts