L.A. Readers! Mr. Beaks Wants To Send Two Ennio Morricone Fans To The Premiere Of INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS!!!
The good folks at The Weinstein Company have been kind enough to provide me with two tickets to the Los Angeles premiere of Quentin Tarantino's INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS on August 10th at Grauman's Chinese Theater. And while I obviously want to give these away to a massive Tarantino fan, I'd like for the attendee (and his/her guest) to be just as crazy about the film music of Ennio Morricone - because BASTERDS is as much a love letter to the Italian maestro as it is to war movies.
So if you're one of the enlightened who worship at the church of Morricone, I want you to shoot me an email (subject: "Morricone") and make a case (in 100 words or less) for what you believe to be the composer's finest score that isn't one of the following:
A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
DUCK, YOU SUCKER
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
Obviously, these are all wonderful works, but the man has written hundreds of scores for dozens of directors in every conceivable genre. And the quality of the movie hardly matters: some of my favorite Morricone cues can be found in films that, um, fall a little short of Leone.
There is no right answer here. Just because you answer back with THE BIG GUNDOWN (to which Eli Roth is now inextricably linked) doesn't mean you're going to win. The key might be introducing me to a Morricone score I've somehow overlooked. I don't know. You've got 100 words to convince me that you live and breathe Morricone. Good luck.
Deadline for entries is Wednesday, August 5th, noon pacific. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS opens commercially August 21st.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 31, 2009, 2:31 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 2:31 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 2:39 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 3:07 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
July 31, 2009, 3:08 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 3:40 p.m. CST
by Harry Weinstein
VIOLENT CITY and REVOLVER.
July 31, 2009, 3:44 p.m. CST
July 31, 2009, 3:46 p.m. CST
is Morricone's best score after Once Upon a Time in the West. Wish I could make it out to LA.
July 31, 2009, 3:50 p.m. CST
Morricone's version of a Carpenter score.
July 31, 2009, 3:55 p.m. CST
Here we go!
July 31, 2009, 4:52 p.m. CST
The Legend of 1900 FTW!
July 31, 2009, 5:15 p.m. CST
The one movie thats great yet unknown, Guns for Sebastion w/ Anthony Quinn. I'll go see this movie just for the music. I can give you many more but this is a good choice.
July 31, 2009, 5:27 p.m. CST
by axel fff
July 31, 2009, 5:52 p.m. CST
I love Ennio approximately eighteen billion times more than I like Quentin Tarantino. <P> I just watched The Mission last night actually, when I got home from the bar. Cried a little. I don't think I've ever seen that movie and NOT cried a little.
July 31, 2009, 10:19 p.m. CST
Sundown, The Strong, Carriage of the Spirits, Story and Death of a Soldier, Ecstacy of Gold, Trio...those tracks from the Good, Bad, Ugly soundtrack are a part of my life. No uber rare Morricone soundtrack that some film geek hipster can come up with will ever beat those. Wish I could lie and win the contest, but no fucking way. Thats the soundtrack of heaven.
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:02 a.m. CST
LOL "Just like Star Trek, we'll be getting a world premiere before anyone in the world,"
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:11 a.m. CST
by nolan bautista
Aug. 1, 2009, 5:23 p.m. CST
like 2 weeks before it came to the Y.S.?
Aug. 1, 2009, 9:19 p.m. CST
The blend of italian guitar and french horns were really excellent! Hell I could listen to that soundtrack every day! If I was ever to meet Ennio Morfricone, first I kiss his feet and then I would ask him if he had an extra copy laying around!<p>Btw, the music in Frantic and the movie itself is beautifully done. It all feels so French, yet it isn't, and it just makes you love the 80's even more!<p>I wish I had a copy to let my girlfriend listen to but prices on Ebay is freaking ridiculous!
Aug. 2, 2009, 7:09 a.m. CST
Damn You Michael Bay
Aug. 6, 2009, 7:57 p.m. CST
because i wanna get that score.
Aug. 7, 2009, 7:16 p.m. CST
and post the 3 runner ups as well just so's we can learn more about morricone...
Aug. 10, 2009, 11:15 a.m. CST
Has a winner been picked? Seeing that the screening is tonight?
Aug. 10, 2009, 7:33 p.m. CST
I'm guessing the tickets didn't come through, o'well, I would love to read some of the essays still. Hit me up.
Aug. 29, 2009, 1:28 p.m. CST
Dude! What happened to the contest winners? The Inglourious Basterds premiere is long gone body. I think you owe us some kind of re compensation for this trickery!
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts