Animation and Anime
Brand new UP poster for your eyeballs, plus some info for you guys attending WonderCon!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I've been lucky enough to see the beginning of UP in two different forms... One is a shorter form comprised almost completely of storyboards, which I saw April of 2008 and then the opening 45 minutes that played at BNAT which was mostly finished. Both times Carl's heartbreaking story got to me and I felt that UP looked to be classic Pixar.
They're doing a panel at WonderCon on UP and then 250 lucky WonderCon attendees will get to see that 45 minutes we all got to see at BNAT.
I'll get to those details in a minute, but first let me give you the first look at the UP bus stop poster (click to make big):
Not mind blowing in design, but I think Carl is going to be a character that sticks with us if the opening of the movie is any indication.
For those, like me, attending WonderCon, here's the info on the screening. You must have a WonderCon badge to get in. The theater is the Metreon, near the Moscone Center and the presentation starts at 7:30pm, with director Pete Doctor and producer Jonas Rivera in attendance. It's first come first serve, but no line is allowed to form before 5:30pm.
I will probably abstain from the screening even that I'd love to see the footage again... but I just think it'd be a dick move to take the seat from someone who hasn't seen it yet.
Hope to see a lot of you in San Francisco. I leave bright and early in the mo'nin'! Speaking of, I better get my shit together!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 25, 2009, 8:08 p.m. CST
Feb. 25, 2009, 8:08 p.m. CST
It had to happen . . .
Feb. 25, 2009, 8:15 p.m. CST
by Baron Karza
Is this the first whiff?
Feb. 25, 2009, 8:30 p.m. CST
Quint has a heart....
Feb. 25, 2009, 8:34 p.m. CST
A man that old simply does not have the upper body strength to hold himself up with such ease.
Feb. 25, 2009, 8:49 p.m. CST
It is too weird or hard to pronounce in any language except English, and Pixar films are very international - most of the text seen on Pixar films is usually translated into several languages. So, NOT a good sign. Also, topping WALL-E will be impossible, so we might be disapointed with this one.
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:02 p.m. CST
I feel like pixar has been hitting us with amazing films but sometimes in between one great film to another they throw in a some what good film. Hence in between'er. This comes after Walle and before Toy story 3. Its the in between'er until the next great pixar film. Just like Cars was.
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:11 p.m. CST
by Carl XVI Gustaf
Are you saying Carl (Karl) is an english name?
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:20 p.m. CST
Look at the detail on the fabric of his clothing. You can even see the pockmarks on his hands for christssakes.
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:26 p.m. CST
Yabbut, what about that Marx guy?
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:29 p.m. CST
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:32 p.m. CST
The trailer actually underwhelms me. When he slams the door in the kids face, I chuckle momentarily. Let's be honest. We're excited because this is Pixar. If I saw that trailer with a Dreamworks logo, I'd skip it.
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:33 p.m. CST
Would you like to respond to that, Avatar?
Feb. 25, 2009, 9:37 p.m. CST
alpha maps and image overlays. Nothing new. Pixars more than the look of the character in my humble opinion. They know how to make the character a character.
Feb. 25, 2009, 10:14 p.m. CST
But come on, I don't want some old foogie hanging out on my background. I'll keep my Crazies re-make poster on which is pretty sweet and should have been given a link on here.
Feb. 25, 2009, 10:37 p.m. CST
I have very little interest in seeing. Monster's Inc was sort of painful, and this? just an old dude in a house full of balloons? oh fuck me.
Feb. 25, 2009, 10:57 p.m. CST
Feb. 26, 2009, 12:13 a.m. CST
Based on a poster and name (WTF?) the Talkbackers - in their infinite wisdom - already know this one is going to disappoint ....
Feb. 26, 2009, 12:26 a.m. CST
Don't get how people could dislike that movie. Its so balls out imaginative, unlike the usual talking toys/fish/ants. Here we have a completley unique vision, so many cool visual gags, and I mean comeone, that chase with the thousands of doors is one of the best bits out of all of pixar's movies.
Feb. 26, 2009, 12:36 a.m. CST
Feb. 26, 2009, 1:31 a.m. CST
not so unique -- "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters" (which was good), and "Little Monsters" (which sucked), had a similar concept, years before.
Feb. 26, 2009, 1:31 a.m. CST
Feb. 26, 2009, 1:48 a.m. CST
btw, if any of you attending the con have a little time, and dont mind even more massive crowds, get your asses over to golden gate park and the brand new academy of sciences and steinhart aquarium...truly amazing
Feb. 26, 2009, 8:56 a.m. CST
Have you forgotten how to embiggen ?
Feb. 26, 2009, 9:06 a.m. CST
take off those glasses and you've got aged Indy from Crystal Skull!!!
Feb. 26, 2009, 11:49 a.m. CST
Welsh and Scottish, I guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_(name)#Male_given_names
Feb. 26, 2009, 11:50 a.m. CST
Hard is had to spell
Feb. 26, 2009, 11:58 a.m. CST
is close to being the best pixar, if it isnt. That, Incredibles and Nemo are the best. Only negative is that Monsters really doesnt look very good these days.
Feb. 26, 2009, 12:45 p.m. CST
Of course, if you throw THE INCREDIBLES in there, every one of the others gets pushed down a slot.
Feb. 26, 2009, 7:18 p.m. CST
Rameses got it! And Indy wore glasses when he taught at college! It all fits! Eat that subliminal kick in your groonies, Lucas!
Feb. 26, 2009, 7:30 p.m. CST
Feb. 26, 2009, 7:33 p.m. CST
Sure, fluid comes out of it, but the ladies still call my cock "The Whip", so my comparison is none the less accurate.
Feb. 26, 2009, 7:36 p.m. CST
and then in order to avoid prosecution put a bunch of balloons on his house like that Roman Polanski guy did?
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 124 total posts 124 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 130 total posts 54 posts
- All 13 Season-Six Episodes Of CLONE WARS Land On Netflix!! Joan Jett On LETTERMAN!! Kenan Thompson On MEYERS!! TRAIN YOUR DRAGON On FX DOWNLOAD!! New HANNIBAL, FIVE-0, GRIMM, BLOODS, LAST MAN, NEIGHBORS, ELISTED, HOPE, BANSHEE, TREEHOUSE, GOLD & SMACKDOWN!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 86 total posts 52 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 253 total posts 49 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 52 total posts 35 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 23 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE! -- 19 total posts 19 posts