ANGUISH being remade? That's an obscure one...
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Have you seen 1987's ANGUISH? Probably not, but if you have visited the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin there's a good chance you know at least a few scenes from this movie. The Alamo has their "No Talking or We'll Take Your Ass Out" bits that play before every movie and the one that is probably my favorite features clips from this flick.
ANGUISH is a weird, semi-experimental mind-fuck of a film about a chubby serial killer surgeon with a domineering hypnotist mother (played by the legendary Zelda Rubinstein)... or so you think. After this guy makes a house call and carves out some poor bastard's eyes the camera pulls back and suddenly you're in the audience and you realize you're watching a movie within a movie. But that's just the beginning of things. The events going on in the movie are being mirrored in the real world and maybe even having an effect on the real world as a man is driven to insanity and quietly begins killing the people in the theater.
Now, I don't know how you modernize this to take place in a multiplex and not have it be ridiculous, here's hoping Sam Raimi's GHOST HOUSE PICTURES does the right thing when they do the remake and set it in an old movie palace... c'mon, most places have something like that in their town, yeah?
Variety's story also says Ghost House is up to remaking Danish horror film ROOM 205 (now called THE DORM), which will be directed JU-ON: THE GRUDGE style by original director Martin Barnewitz, with THE GRUDGE remake's Stephen Susco handling the adaptation. I have not seen the original so I have no comment on that one.
WHEN A STRANGER CALLS' screenwriter, Jake Wade Wall has written the adaptation of ANGUISH. Hope it's good. The original is one of those really cool ideas that is doubly cool for being so unknown, but the idea is strong enough to survive someone else taking a stab at it. I just hope they get someone very talented... and Bring Back Zelda!!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 11, 2009, 7:37 a.m. CST
is responsible for Amusement's aggressively terrible screenplay. That movie was anguish to sit through.
Feb. 11, 2009, 7:38 a.m. CST
I'm sure I heard about this being remade like 5 years ago or so... maybe even longer. The original is messed up.
Feb. 11, 2009, 7:43 a.m. CST
How pathetic. I'm never seeing another horror movie called "The ...." ever again. And not to mention The Grudge is BY FAR the worst of the terrible slew of Japanese horror remakes, unless the Grudge 2 was somehow even more boring and wasted more time. The Uninvited. The Messengers. The Pulse. The Complete and Total Shit factory.
Feb. 11, 2009, 7:47 a.m. CST
Make an exception for The Home...
Feb. 11, 2009, 7:49 a.m. CST
by Papa Lazaru
I've never seen nor heard of Anguish , but for some reason that poster above with the old lady in front of the eyeballs rings all sorts of bells for me. Must have seen it back in the day at the local Video shop . Although why I never rented it on the strength of the cover I'll never know .
Feb. 11, 2009, 7:49 a.m. CST
and on the cover it has an advisory that you MAY ACTUALLY BE HYPNOTIZED while watching the movie. You gotta love shit like that
Feb. 11, 2009, 7:57 a.m. CST
Feb. 11, 2009, 8:12 a.m. CST
you know, like in that movie Demons?
Feb. 11, 2009, 8:27 a.m. CST
by Shut the Fuck up Donny
But if we're going to see a remake of a theater-related horror film, I wanna see a remake of POPCORN!
Feb. 11, 2009, 8:29 a.m. CST
Immediately forgot it.
Feb. 11, 2009, 9:04 a.m. CST
remake something no one has seen or that few remember. not a fucking classic.
Feb. 11, 2009, 9:12 a.m. CST
by Righteous Brother
should be remade, complete with seats wired up
Feb. 11, 2009, 9:17 a.m. CST
Definitely a good horror film with some nasty moments that could make you squirm (several eyes get removed). It's hard to see why this of all films would be remade but I do hope they don't totally fuck it up.
Feb. 11, 2009, 9:31 a.m. CST
by wampa 1
...that came up with this one?
Feb. 11, 2009, 10:58 a.m. CST
by hank quinlan
I remember when this came out when I was in 6th grade. And they advertised that it had the hypnotic effects. I always wanted to see it. When the Drafthouse showed it on Something weird Wednesdays you bet your ass I went. It sucked. Tedious. Boring. Almost plotless. Not scary. I really have no idea what you would even remake about it. And NO I didn't get hypnotized! Not pumped at all. What dumbass scraped the bottom of the barrel to buy those rights?
Feb. 11, 2009, 11:58 a.m. CST
by Some Dude
This does not need a remake.
Feb. 11, 2009, noon CST
by Some Dude
Anguish, Demons and Popcorn.
Feb. 11, 2009, 12:23 p.m. CST
This movie was VERY cool. It had a warning on the box that it can cause actual hypnosis in the viewer. Good stuff. Zelda rocks
Feb. 11, 2009, 12:40 p.m. CST
I've been a fan of this one since the wayback days. It's over the top, but I found showing the main girl's increasing fear of what's on the screen an effective way to build tension for the audience. I'm hoping they do it justice as well, the original is creepy goodness.
Feb. 11, 2009, 2:18 p.m. CST
by The InSneider
susco and wall are two of the biggest horror hacks in the biz, so OF COURSE, ghost house tapped them to write these remakes. ugh! why, sam, why?
Feb. 12, 2009, 12:20 a.m. CST
by Motoko Kusanagi
Feb. 12, 2009, 5:18 p.m. CST
by Bodenland Unbound
All the eyes used in "Anguish" were in fact real eyes from a private collection of eyes!
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 89 total posts 89 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 214 total posts 83 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 92 total posts 57 posts
- Quint has seen Gareth Edwards and Legendary's Godzilla presentation at SXSW! Full on Kaiju badassery! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 97 total posts 25 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 81 total posts 22 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 91 total posts 15 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 80 total posts 14 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 131 total posts 13 posts
- International OCULUS Poster Has Arrived! -- 12 total posts 12 posts