EASTWICK: THE SERIES
Gets A Director For Its Pilot!!
I am – Hercules!!
It looks like ABC’s “The Witches of Eastwick” pilot is getting a pick-up.
If it doesn’t, it will end David Nutter’s streak. The last 14 pilots Nutter directed became series.
Nutter’s pilots have included everything from “Roswell,” “Dark Angel,” “Millennium” and “The Mentalist” to “Smallville,” “Supernatural,” “Tarzan,” “Without A Trace,” “Jack & Bobby,” “Traveler,” “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles” and “Dr.Vegas.”
For the big screen, Nutter directed the 1998 Katie Holmes-James Marsden thriller “Disturbing Behavior.”
Maggie Friedman, a veteran of “Dawson’s Creek,” “Wasteland,” “Once & Again,” “Jack & Bobby” and “Related,” wrote the pilot and will oversee the series, based on John Updike’s novel about a trio of young women seduced by Satan.
The same book, of course, formed the basis of a 1987 George Miller movie starring Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Susan Sarandon and Cher.
This is TV's second crack at an "Eastwick" pilot. In 1992, writer-producers Carlton Cuse and Jeffrey Boam mounted an NBC version starred Catherine Mary Stewart, Julia Campbell, Ally Walker and Michael Siberri.
Read all of Variety’s story on the matter here.
Who Watches The Watchmen Tie-Ins??
1910 In 2009!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 9, 2009, 12:47 a.m. CST
Has to comment, just to be first. I really liked that movie.
Feb. 9, 2009, 1:21 a.m. CST
Feb. 9, 2009, 1:32 a.m. CST
by Phil Connors
Feb. 9, 2009, 1:34 a.m. CST
by Phil Connors
Sela Ward, Jane Seymour, and, ah....Tricia Helfer (the youngest), all fall for...ME! AHAHHHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
Feb. 9, 2009, 1:56 a.m. CST
by Liberty Valance
Jack's got some classic monologues -- most notably his anti-woman rant in the church -- and the three broads were all at the pinnacle of their hotness. Don't really care about a possible series though...
Feb. 9, 2009, 2:53 a.m. CST
ABC,...DISNEY?!....come the fuck on. There goes all the edginess from the movie and novel.
Feb. 9, 2009, 2:55 a.m. CST
Feb. 9, 2009, 3:33 a.m. CST
Will she make a guest appearance on the show? Or was this just a favour to the publisher or what?
Feb. 9, 2009, 5:47 a.m. CST
by Cheif Brody
Sure looks like Juliette to me!
Feb. 9, 2009, 6 a.m. CST
I was racking my brains, at first I thought maybe I was thinking of Kelly Rutherford. But she doesn't have a smile as smug as Mitchell's.
Feb. 9, 2009, 6:29 a.m. CST
Lori Loughlin, Marcia Cross and Kelly Rutherford were the ladies, and Chris Evans played one of their sons.
Feb. 9, 2009, 7:22 a.m. CST
i like how on the cover it says, "author of The Widows of Eastwick." it's like the Superman DVD that says, "From the people that brought you Superman 2"
Feb. 9, 2009, 8:40 a.m. CST
by Grammaton Cleric Binks
Granted, the show came after the movie and the novel.
Feb. 9, 2009, 8:54 a.m. CST
Eastwick!:The Musical<p>The movie is an overlooked gem in George Miller's resume. I like the scene where the townsfolk are trying to remember Van Horne's name, the pearls causing the doomed Veronica Cartwright to fall, and one of John Williams best overlooked scores. You can hear hints of it in his Harry Potter scores.
Feb. 9, 2009, 11:07 a.m. CST
I was kinda excited about this 'cause I like the movie. Then you had to go and point out what ABC will probably do with the show. Now, I just don't care.
Feb. 9, 2009, 5:51 p.m. CST
The Witches of Eastwick was montrously huge in its day. Everyone saw it and talked about it. Sure its not loved to this day the way Road Warrior is but I think its safe to say it was a bigger hit (comparatively) then Happy Feet (adjusting for inflation).
Feb. 9, 2009, 7:39 p.m. CST
Movie didn't age well, though. The Road Warrior is timeless. Even Mel Gibson's dumb ass can't ruin that movie for me.
Feb. 9, 2009, 7:52 p.m. CST
The trouble with the old pilot was that it shoved the ladies into the background and - and the whole point of the book and the film was that it was about the women. Not the sons. Not the Devil. Desperate Housewives with supernatural powers is exactly what it *should* be. Not more WB/CW teeny-bopper crud.
Feb. 10, 2009, 7:16 a.m. CST
was in full facial tick and charmer mode. Eastwick the musical that re-introduced Ian McShane to american audiences. He has never looked back.
Feb. 10, 2009, 7:20 a.m. CST
nicholson is a classic. Where she slaps him down by telling he stinks.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 321 total posts 164 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 115 total posts 74 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 59 total posts 22 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 107 total posts 21 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 42 total posts 16 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 282 total posts 12 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 292 total posts 10 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 191 total posts 5 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts