Animation and Anime
The Lovely Roxanne Reports on the Animation Spotlight at Sundance!
Hey folks, Harry here with our first report from our girl in the snow, the lovely Roxanne - who is dutifully going to be filing reports on anything and everything she can get into at Sundance. Filmmakers? Publicists? I'd recommend contacting Roxanne at that above link to make sure your wares are in front of her eyes, right? Right.
Greetings fellow film nerds, Roxanne here scrounging up some free wi-fi in the Sundance Filmmaker Lounge in sunny Park City. I managed to beg, borrow, and steal my way into town late yesterday evening from LA (this may have included holding a makeshift 'Park City or Bust' sign while standing out front of the SLC Sundance box office for 2 hours). Press, festgoers, and a bevy of locals filled the streets of Park City last night for the kickoff of both Sundance and Slamdance. Yours truly couldn't sweet talk my way into Sundance's post-Mary and Max opening night party, but down the street Slamdance's 'housewarming party' was more than happy to admit the masses. If Sundance is cocktails and velvet ropes, Slamdance is PBR in your favorite dive bar. Inside, Slamdance filmmakers and a good ¾ of the cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia talked movies and listened to the ever-changing indie band lineup while throwing back some longnecks. This morning's screening of The Animation Spotlight was packed considering its early scheduling, with Bill Plympton's short Hot Dog and Don Hertzfeld's I Am So Proud of You (rumored to be shot with one of the same cameras that captured the animated version of Schulz's Peanuts comics in the 60s) garnering the most audience attention. Both filmmakers were on hand for the post-screening Q & A, where Plympton talked up the short film as an art form and the next addition to his 'Dog' series, Horn Dog, due out this year. A standout of the group was definitely Roland Becerra's Dear Beautiful, what he deemed his "homage to Romero". Dear Beautiful appeared earlier this year in the Toronto After Dark Film Fest shorts program. A combination of airborn virus paranoia, zombies with hand cream fetishes, and a failing relationship make this painstakingly detailed stop-animation short well worth seeking out. Becerra started work on the short in 2003, hand painting nearly every frame. Two other notable mentions both hail from France, Jérémy Clapin's Skhizein and Franck Dion's Monsieur Cok. Both deal with psychological and societal paranoia in very different ways. Skhizein's Gondry-esque main character is struck by a meteorite and finds himself exactly 91cm out of sync with the rest of the world, while Monsieur Cok presents a surreal dystopia commenting on dehumanizing politics and industrialism. Oh, and the animation is bad ass too. That's it for now gang. I'll keep you up to date on the festival happenings over the weekend, you let me know what you want to hear about and I'll be sure to check it out. Right now I'm off on the hunt for tickets to Sundance's sold out midnight screening of the nazi-zombie horror flick Dead Snow, and the much-anticipated Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead (title of the year, anyone?) showing at Slamdance later this week. -XOXO Roxanne
Skhizein trailer (no subtitles):
Monsieur Cok trailer
Hot Dog trailer:
Dear Beautiful trailer:
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 17, 2009, 2:42 a.m. CST
Jan. 17, 2009, 2:49 a.m. CST
Hot Dog looks like it's probably good, and I'm sort of intrigued by the Skhizein trailer.
Jan. 17, 2009, 3:19 a.m. CST
Jan. 17, 2009, 3:21 a.m. CST
by Bass Ackwards
Was the main page just full of stories from 1997 5 minutes ago? As for the article, read a really encouraging review on the calymation piece Mary and Max, wish they had a spot for that on here. Ah well.
Jan. 17, 2009, 3:22 a.m. CST
Jan. 17, 2009, 3:25 a.m. CST
liam neeson plays a young yoda. natalie portman is in talks to play someone.
Jan. 17, 2009, 3:37 a.m. CST
better late then never
Jan. 17, 2009, 5:25 a.m. CST
that last one is really scary.
Jan. 17, 2009, 12:28 p.m. CST
Jan. 19, 2009, 10:49 a.m. CST
that she's lovely.
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 307 total posts 171 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 159 total posts 81 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 291 total posts 77 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 83 total posts 45 posts
- Quint checks out Aussie drug thriller THE MULE starring Hugo Weaving at SXSW 2014! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
2010-2014 -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- Meet your new FANTASTIC FOUR!! -- 1649 total posts 17 posts