Magnet Acquires North American Rights To Prachya Pinkaew's CHOCOLATE at FANTASTIC FEST!!!
Hey folks, Harry here... This is nice... The goal for any Film Festival out there is to bring films the sort of attention and adoration that a festival director hopes will help that film find distribution. Last year it happened with the amazing TIME CRIMES, this year with Prachya "ONG BAK" Pinkaew's CHOCOLATE! That's the goal! BTW - our screening of ROLE MODELS tonight blew the roof off the Drafthouse, but you'll read more about that later. But this is good news, everybody should have a little CHOCOLATE! It'd rule if Magnet released this film on VALENTINE'S DAY - "This Valentine's Day, Give The Man You Love... CHOCOLATE!"
Magnet Acquires North American Rights to Prachya Pinkaew’s “CHOCOLATE” NEW YORK – Oct. XX, 2007 – Magnet (www.magnetreleasing.com) announced today that it has acquired North American rights to Prachya Pinkaew’s martial arts actioner CHOCOLATE. Fresh from its successful Toronto Midnight Madness world premiere, the film rolled into Austin’s Fantastic Fest this past weekend and nabbed the Audience Award runner-up prize. ONG BAK: THE THAI WARRIOR helmer Prachya Pinkaew’s latest pairs him with newcomer Jeeja Vismistananda, in training for five years to play the lead in CHOCOLATE. Jeeja’s performance as an autistic girl who learns Muay Thai via a marathon screening of Tony Jaa and Bruce Lee films announces the addition of a major new talent to the martial arts canon. Featuring death-defying stunts, and a charming newcomer, CHOCOLATE represents Prachya’s proper follow-up to the smash success of ONG BAK. “Magnet has had a long tradition of debuting action stars like Tony Jaa, Dan Chupong, David Belle, Marko Zaror, and now we’re fortunate enough to launch our first female action star: Jeeja Vismistananda. CHOCOLATE proves Jeeja is as hard hitting as the big boys and fans will be delighted by Prachya’s (ONG BAK’s creator) return to kick ass action,” said Magnolia Senior Vice President Tom Quinn. The deal was negotiated by Magnolia’s Quinn with Gilbert Lim representing Sahamongkolfilm International. Magnet will release the film theatrically in 2009. About Magnet Magnet is the recently launched genre arm of Magnolia Pictures (www.magpictures.com) specializing in films from the vanguard of horror, action, comedy and Asian cinema. Magnolia Pictures is an operating business of the Wagner/Cuban Companies, a vertically integrated group of media properties co-owned by Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban that includes 2929 Productions, HDNet Films, Magnolia Pictures, Landmark Theatres and television stations HDNet and HDNet Movies. Magnolia Pictures is the theatrical and home entertainment distribution arm of the Wagner/Cuban Companies, a vertically integrated group of media properties co-owned by Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban that also include the Landmark Theatres chain, production companies 2929 Productions and HDNet Films, and high-definition cable networks HDNet and HDNet Movies.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 25, 2008, 4:05 a.m. CST
by Horace Cox
What's the big deal?
Sept. 25, 2008, 4:35 a.m. CST
I mean the actors were brutalized just to make that film (end creds show what kind of beating they took). But as a fun film that just kicks all ass, you gotta see chocolate! here a link to a review - http://tinyurl.com/4eyedr
Sept. 25, 2008, 5:11 a.m. CST
by The Amazing G
Sept. 25, 2008, 6:08 a.m. CST
Anybody know where I can view the Wolfman trailer shown at ComicCon this year?
Sept. 25, 2008, 11:13 a.m. CST
by Itto Ogami loses Daigoro
That is all. A little bit of editing them wouldn't hurt either, thank you.
Sept. 25, 2008, 5:45 p.m. CST
Saw it 3 months ago. You girls really have to discover HKflix. This movie was available legit uncut, non bootleg, anamorphic transfer with english subs months ago. What Aintitcool can't report an asian release until the fucking coke head Weinsteins bastardize it thru Dragon Dynasty ???
Sept. 26, 2008, 9:04 a.m. CST
i am happy that i will be able to see this in AN ACTUAL THEATER
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 29 total posts 27 posts
- Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 39 total posts 13 posts
- "Just another Saturday night" Marv and company are back in the first trailer for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR!! -- 155 total posts 13 posts
- Are You Primed For Optimus’ TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster?? -- 156 total posts 11 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 35 total posts 10 posts
- Will the sun come out tomorrow!?! The first trailer for the remake of ANNIE is here! -- 541 total posts 9 posts
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 112 total posts 8 posts
- SNOWPIERCER finally gets a U.S. release date in its full, un-Weinstened glory! -- 24 total posts 7 posts
- Behold DIVERGENT’s Nifty New IMAX Poster!! -- 64 total posts 7 posts
- New PARKS, PARENTHOOD, PORTLANDIA, COMMUNITY, ELEMENTARY, HALF, CRAZY, MILLERS, VIKINGS, VAMPIRE, REIGN, GREY’S, SCANDAL, NERDS, IDOL, RAKE, BOO BOO, SEAGAL!! The Returns Of SUITS & WONDERLAND!! Bob Mould On LETTERMAN!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 22 total posts 7 posts