WITCHES OF EASTWICK Series!!
I am – Hercules!!
“Dawson’s Creek” alumna Maggie Friedman is writing a pilot based on John Updike’s novel “The Witches of Eastwick” for ABC.
The same book, of course, formed the basis of a 1987 George Miller movie starring Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Susan Sarandon and Cher.
This is not the first time a pilot based on “Witches” has been developed. Per Tuesday's Variety:
Warner Bros. TV has been looking to create a smallscreen version of the franchise for years. In 1992, scribes Carlton Cuse and Jeffrey Boam were behind a "Witches of Eastwick" pilot for NBC. That version starred Catherine Mary Stewart, Julia Campbell, Ally Walker and Michael Siberri.
Find all of Variety’s story on the matter here.
$9.99: Serenity Collector’s Edition!!
Dracula’s Hilarious Return!!
Buffy's Shocking Post-Spike Romance!!
Season Eight: Volume Three!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:32 p.m. CST
3 witches right?
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:32 p.m. CST
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:33 p.m. CST
Aug. 11, 2008, 10:35 p.m. CST
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:01 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:35 p.m. CST
Charmed was always an Eastwick-kiddie version; there is no conceivable way that a TV series on regular cable could work (FX or HBO could MAYBE have done something worthwhile with it, but certainly not ABC). The vast majority of the folks who tune in will be fans of the film--the remaining few will be devotees of the novel. Both groups will be vastly disappointed in the results--leaving the ladies out of it for the minute, how the hell do you top Nicholson as the horny little Devil himself? Nope: stupid idea. George Miller directed and Michael Cristofer adapted the hell out of that book...and yes, Williams' score was perfect; one of his most playful ever. The series has Depserate Bewitched Housewives written all over it.
Aug. 11, 2008, 11:52 p.m. CST
Brought to you by the Anal Retentive Department of Typo Corrections.
Aug. 12, 2008, midnight CST
DOOM prefers The Witches of Breastwick on Skinamax!
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:36 a.m. CST
That ought to be the title.
Aug. 12, 2008, 3:06 a.m. CST
DC Vertigo done a limited series a couple of years ago called The Witching. It was about three tattooed punk teen girls using the Magick of Aleister Crowley to fight UFO's and insane technologies from the US government. That would be a better pitch that this middle aged sanitary towel pitch of a boring series.
Aug. 12, 2008, 3:29 a.m. CST
As long as they follow the film and not stupid as monkeyshit book.
Aug. 12, 2008, 4:21 a.m. CST
The end of the world as we know it?
Aug. 12, 2008, 5:44 a.m. CST
Why not develop something original? Oh right. Creatively bankrupt.
Aug. 12, 2008, 6:58 a.m. CST
Aug. 12, 2008, 8:32 a.m. CST
"TWoE" was a decent movie. But nowhere near enough real material to support a series. And frankly, as a Wiccan - methinks "Charmed" has been there, done that - with a much better premise - and truthfully, that ain't saying much.
Aug. 12, 2008, 8:44 a.m. CST
WB tried "Eastwick", following the sons of Satan, as a pilot a few years back. It was kind of a male "Charmed". It didn't get picked up either and that had Marcia Cross. So I wouldn't worry. Although you should check out the soundtrack to the awesome musical version on TWoE that was produced by Cameron MacIntosh in London a few years ago. Really awesome and I wish they would bring it here.
Aug. 12, 2008, 8:56 a.m. CST
I got married at the church in the movie.
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:03 a.m. CST
Like in the movie. It should happen once each episode, especially to the Cellist. For the Devil part, I recommend Jon Lovitz.
Aug. 12, 2008, 10:20 a.m. CST
always had a soft spot for it.
Aug. 12, 2008, 11:01 a.m. CST
...looks like Juliet from Lost.
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:17 p.m. CST
See, that's funny because now he's the showrunner for Lost, which is a successful show, and...ah damn it, I'll be here all week. Be sure to try the veal.
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:35 p.m. CST
(From the book cover.) Is that a sequel of some sort?
Aug. 12, 2008, 12:42 p.m. CST
by Liberty Valance
"Women love him, they're crazy about him. He has a big *shlong.* Huge!" Great over-the-top performance by Jack. Anyone who takes up the mantle of Darryl Van Horne is sure to be unfavorably received. This is doomed to failure.
Aug. 12, 2008, 1:41 p.m. CST
Widows is a sequel coming out in October http://is.gd/1oM7
Aug. 12, 2008, 2:42 p.m. CST
This will never see the light of day. Sandra Bullock tried to produce a Practical Magic series and that didn't fly either. Can't wait for the Wiccan outcry if this ever gets aired. I wish they would do a series on real characters who actually have a witchcraft-oriented worldview and don't conjure up Satan and make things levitate and all that bullshit.
Aug. 12, 2008, 4 p.m. CST
by Larry of Arabia
It's a yet to be published sequel.
Aug. 12, 2008, 4:32 p.m. CST
Those women ain't hot... and are so fake. But then, what can you expect from late night cable TV.. :( <p>I seriously need to get laid this weekend. ;) </p>
Aug. 12, 2008, 9:27 p.m. CST
Or was that imdb bullshit? I can't remember, I thought there were some big names in the unaired pilot (and it was more recent than 92 also), but it didn't happen because it was horribly written like the attempted Lost in Space relaunch. Honestly, I don't see this movie lending itself over to a series. Miller's Eastwick was all about the atmosphere, the actors, and that music. Without all those, you've only got the myster of Daryl Van Horne, and we KNOW how that turns out. And if he's not still the Devil, it's not really Witches of Eastwick. That'd be like making a series out of Psycho, but the killer isn't Norman.
Aug. 12, 2008, 9:36 p.m. CST
So long as Hollywood can't make anything original, where's something really cool like a Conan the Barbarian series with the production values of HBO's Rome? I'd take two seasons of that in a heartbeat.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 685 total posts 62 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 406 total posts 40 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 43 total posts 26 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 360 total posts 25 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 212 total posts 21 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 360 total posts 13 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 318 total posts 9 posts