Junk Yard Dog Snaps At HOW TO LOSE FRIENDS & ALIENATE PEOPLE With Simon Pegg, Kirsten Dunst And Megan Fox!!
Junk Yard Dog sent in this look at HOW TO LOSE FRIENDS & ALIENATE PEOPLE. In addition to the folks listed in the headline, the movie also stars Jeff Bridges and Gillian Anderson...making for a pretty interesting lot on should think.
Or, maybe not.
It's important to remember that this film is not scheduled to hit until later this year at the earliest...so the movie may change a bit between now and its release.
Here's Junk Yard Dog...
Junk Yard Dog here - long time reader and admirer.
i've never contributed before, but i'll be damned if i haven't found you folks helpful more than once, and thought i'd give you a heads up of my own. i just saw the first ever public screening of "How to Lose Friends & Alienate People," the film adaptation of the novel starring our good friend Simon Pegg alongside Kirsten Dunst and Megan Fox. Sad to say there's not much good to report.
They've gone very, very Standard Romantic Comedy Plot on this one, with added bonuses like animal moments sure to be touted as "hilarious" and over the top transexual comedy someone somewhere will call "outrageous!!!" with more than the requisite exclamation points.
But this is nothing we haven't seen before - fish out of water Pegg lands a gig writing for a wildly popular entertainment rag based in Manhattan, but darn it if his ne'er-do-well man child character can't seem to fit in anywhere.
With Dunst as his quirky wannabe- author coworker (she calls herself a "walking cliche" in the film, just in case the audience didn't get it) and Megan Fox as his dim-witted starlet lust interest, all the pieces are in place for another bland, cookie cutter flick that's destined to be ignored by countless couples on dates who say "I think it's based on a book, we should check it out maybe?"
To the film's credit, Pegg is charming as always, even if this is a little lower on the bar than what I've come to expect from him (haven't seen Run Fat Boy Run yet, but i have a sneaking one it's a lot better than this picture was), and Jeff Daniels does a hell of a job as the head of the magazine that Pegg finds himself trying to shake up.
Kirsten Dunst is remarkably un-hateable, despite the watery character she's been handed, and an unexpected Gillian Anderson shows up in a fun role as a brass-balls agent representing Fox's character. There are some moments of real chemistry between Dunst and Pegg, a couple of cute surprise moments in their dialogue, and one or two genuine hearty laughs to be found scattered throughout the film.
But even getting past the choppy moments of a rough cut (complete with my pet peeve of seeing the shadows of the entire camera crew and rigs on the wall behind the actors), the fare here was so bland i found myself forgetting that this was the first time "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People" had been screened. It was all just so familiar. All in all, unless there's some massive reshoots, rewrites, and retries, i think this one is destined to be the Pegg film everyone excuses by citing his other work.
Keep 'em crossed that it's not indicative of a downward trend for him, and i'd say save this for a rainy day rental at best. Hope you find something useful in this, and thanks for all the work you guys do!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 19, 2008, 9:40 a.m. CST
March 19, 2008, 9:40 a.m. CST
He's the new... um... who's another actor that's busy a lot?
March 19, 2008, 9:41 a.m. CST
March 19, 2008, 9:45 a.m. CST
So which one is it?
March 19, 2008, 9:47 a.m. CST
Everyone else is soo concerned about being first, I figured I break the trend and brag about being the.. I guess 4th!! HELL YEA!! Film sounds alright.. pretty standard formula. One of the "wait until dvd" kind.
March 19, 2008, 9:58 a.m. CST
Anyone else confused by the contradicting first sentences in these two dudes posts? Merrick begins with "Junk Yard Dog, who has written in to us before," yet JYD begins with "I've never contributed before."
March 19, 2008, 10:09 a.m. CST
March 19, 2008, 10:09 a.m. CST
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (my first! Yay!)
March 19, 2008, 10:11 a.m. CST
(not in a Spartacus kinda way obviously) but I'm seriously concerned about his choice of projects without Wrighty. Granted I've only seen Run Fatboy Run but that was fucking dreadful. He's going to have to watch his step pretty carefully or he'll wind up in a recurring role in Eastenders in 10 years time.
March 19, 2008, 11:18 a.m. CST
Money isn't everything.....
March 19, 2008, 11:27 a.m. CST
How to possibly relate or empathize with a vapid MALE character who works at a gossip rag?! WTF. Good luck. Doubt even Pegg can save this one unless it's been completely rescripted.
March 19, 2008, 1:08 p.m. CST
March 19, 2008, 2:10 p.m. CST
Isn't it a coincedence that Gillian Anderson is in this movie and in series 1 of Spaced he was all infatuated with her?
March 19, 2008, 2:11 p.m. CST
LOL @ BraneRobot's post HAHA!
March 19, 2008, 2:50 p.m. CST
by they call it the dip
... might be the only actor that I will sit through an obviously shitty movie for. SEE ALSO: Run Fatboy Run and Big Trouble. He's the only thing that looks interesting about any of them. There's no other actor I will say this about. He lights up the screen and he is what I am most anticipated about with the new Star Trek.
March 19, 2008, 3:34 p.m. CST
by Wee Willie
In the book, which is very funny, he works for Vanity Fair. I highly recommend the book. If you don't think the book is funny, you don't know enough about English people.
March 19, 2008, 4:27 p.m. CST
...But the character, although perhaps physically much closer to Pegg, is almost pitch perfect for squirmy Gervais. It sounds like they pretty much took the skeleton of the book and turned it into a generic rom com anyway. No mention of his lucky best friend in the review or anything. Shame, could have made for some good "Curb Your Enthusiasm" style big screen entertainment.
March 19, 2008, 5:52 p.m. CST
She needs a Juno.
March 28, 2008, 7:26 a.m. CST
Ouch JYD! Were you loaded on mogadon at the screening or just nursing a bruised funny bone because I was there too, LOVED IT, and seem to recall that everyone else was laughing pretty hard. And it was Jeff (The Dude) Bridges not Jeff Daniels!!
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 389 total posts 23 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 644 total posts 21 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 204 total posts 13 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 26 total posts 9 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 343 total posts 8 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 15 total posts 7 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 316 total posts 7 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 352 total posts 5 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 304 total posts 5 posts