Mastidon Runs Towards THE HUNTING PARTY!!
Mastidon sent in his thoughts shortly after the premiere of THE HUNTING PARTY. I know that's not how one spells "Mastodon" - it's the way the reader asked to be identified, so that's the spelling we'll run with.
This is a reasonable substantive piece...must've taken him a long damn time to tap out each letter with those gigantic, clumsy tusks (maybe that's why he misspelled "mastodon"?)
I'm just goofing around...we really appreciate Mastidon's write-up. The film releases Friday & seems to be raising eyebrows. My kid wants to see it - he thinks it looks "interesting and cool" - which it may well be
The other night I attend the Premier of The Hunting Party. I was pleasantly surprised. This one could be a sleeper hit.
The Hunting Party - 4 stars (out of 5)
Richard Gere as Simon, Terrance Howard as Duck, and Jesse Eisenberg as Benjamin. Written and Directed by Richard Shepard
First let me tell you, I am no Richard Gere fan. I can't point out one thing I have liked him in the past several years, until now. The movie itself is hard to categorize as it is a biography, a black comedy, a drama, a thriller, and an action adventure. But it works. And maybe that's why it works is because it has something for everyone.
"Only the most absurd facts in this movie are true." How's that for an opening line? Right away the film sets the tone as something different.
The movie opens with a narration and montage from Duck. Simon and Duck are war reporters covering every hot zone out there. Simon is the star and Duck is his cameraman. Everything is perfect until one day Simon has a total meltdown on a live network broadcast from Bosnia causing him to get fired Fast forward five years later and Duck has a cushy job in NY and Simon has been fired from every news organization out there.
The story really begins with Duck returning to Bosnia to cover the 5 year anniversary of the ending of the war. Upon entering his hotel room, he finds Simon waiting for him. Simon wants a favor for Duck to be his camera man one last time. Duck agrees. The next day Duck films the fluff piece for Simon. Simon hopes to sell it to one of a dozen countries but it seems unlikely. Simon tells Duck he is working on a big story and baits Duck into working on it. Simon wants to interview The Fox who is based on Radovan Karadžić - the Bosnian war criminal responsible for the ordering of the rapes and murders of thousands of women and children during the Bosnian crisis. Benjamin, who is the son of a network VP and recently graduated journalism major, figures out whets going on and demands in. The rest of the film follows their adventures on the hunt for The Fox and the insanity of how easy it is to get close to one of the world's most notorious men.
Dylan Baker turns in the funniest role in the film as a CIA agent who rescues the trio. His monologue is funnier than any Leno or Letterman has put out and had me laughing my ass off.
One nice final touch is at the end, the movie points out what was true and what wasn't. A great end to an enjoyable film.
Richard Gere is totally believable as a burnout and this is certainly his best performance in years. The Hunting Party is great at showing how nobody really cares about what happened in Bosnia and that the major governments of the world world just assume forget about it and sweep it away. This film is really something extraordinary and could turn into a big hit in the process.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 5, 2007, 9:54 a.m. CST
That reminds me that Howard THE Duck comes out on DVD in Germany! :)
Sept. 5, 2007, 9:56 a.m. CST
Sept. 5, 2007, 9:57 a.m. CST
Sept. 5, 2007, 9:58 a.m. CST
Internal Affairs? he was intense in that shit.
Sept. 5, 2007, 9:59 a.m. CST
"... and that the major governments of the world world just assume forget about it and sweep it away."<p><p> Try: "would just as soon".
Sept. 5, 2007, 10 a.m. CST
Tell me I'm not the only person who misread that. The trailer looked really good. That's the thing with Gere. I don't like him, but I tend to like his movies. Not the RomComs or the dancing ones though. Stuff like Red Corner, Internal Affairs, etc. Yeah, maybe I'll see this. I don't know.
Sept. 5, 2007, 10:04 a.m. CST
but hate most of his movies.. funny that huh? Yeah the romcoms suck but thats cos most of them do. Pretty Woman is the worst peice of shit ever made, but its not Gere's fault. I like his straight up sheeit. like the aofrementioned Internal Affairs and Amnerican Gigilo, hell, I even like the Cotton Club. Oh shit... i didn't just say that.
Sept. 5, 2007, 10:23 a.m. CST
by Pound Sand
And that's a fact.
Sept. 5, 2007, 10:28 a.m. CST
Stop talking about your penis like it's a person Merrick and own up to your Gere man crush.
Sept. 5, 2007, 11:13 a.m. CST
by Lance Rock
Sept. 5, 2007, 11:36 a.m. CST
by Midol Boy
All rather solid movies, Mastidon.
Sept. 5, 2007, 1:07 p.m. CST
by Captain Mal
In the process of what?
Sept. 5, 2007, 3:10 p.m. CST
that a)read Howard the Duck or b) laughed a Howard as Duck, still makes me laugh. I had the biggest Lea Thompson crush because of that movie for some reason<P>anyways, this sounds interesting, I like stories about burnt out washed up reporters in hot zones.
Sept. 6, 2007, 2:55 a.m. CST
by Red Dawn Don
That was a nice little movie. The long range rifles were very cool and deadly. Seems like there was something about an oriental prostitute on a train too. Have not seen it in over 20 years.
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 106 total posts 106 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 86 total posts 86 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 54 total posts 54 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 53 total posts 53 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 336 total posts 42 posts
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 59 total posts 37 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 61 total posts 35 posts