"Buckaroo Banzai" series ((pic & footage from FX test))
...with a tiny bit of news regarding Fox's proposed television series Buckaroo Banzai: Ancient Secrets and New Mysteries.
While some of this news wasn't really supposed to "slip out" quite yet, it has done so anyway - as news of this type is prone to do. As such, I thought I would go ahead and pour some fuel on the simmering fire (so to speak).
For those who haven't heard, Foundation Imaging (who did the CGI effects for the first three seasons of Babylon 5, are currently working on Star Trek: Voyager, and are bringing us the forthcoming Starship Troopers CGI series recently covered on Coaxial) has done a reel of test effects for the Buckaroo Banzai television series currently in development.
The reel is quite dazzling, two of its sequences involve the extensive use of Team Banzai's beloved Jet Car. Here's a small picture of the Jet Car as rendered by Foundation.
Yeah, yeah, I know - it's a small picture. That's because this picture was actually taken from a site which is all about visual effects - and this is a cute little picture which they had available there. HOWEVER, should you wish to see a brief but telling piece of actual footage from Foundation's work on Buckaroo Banzai, there is a (crudely transferred) .mov file available at the site - which gives you a fair sense of "the look" of Foundation's proposed FX for the series.
CLICK HERE to jump directly to the VFXPro article featuring the Banzai stuff !
Earlier today, I had some trouble accessing the article directly through the link provided above. If you can't access the site through that link, try this:
CLICK HERE to jump to www.vfxpro.com, then click on the image field at the top of the screen which says "New Tek's HyperVoxels 2.0". That will take you directly to the article which features the Banzai image reproduced herein, as well as provide a link to download the Jet Car footage.
Special Thanks to STEVE for calling this footage to my attention !!!
Mail can be sent to:
P.O. BOX 160812
Austin, TX 78716-0812
P.O. BOX 160812
Austin, TX 78716-0812
Austin, TX 78716-0812
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 24, 1999, 5:09 p.m. CST
As much as I love the idea of more Buckaroo Banzai (I wish they would have made the sequel promised at the end of *Across the Eighth Dimension) I have to wonder why most of the new series in development seem to be based on past stuff. Doesn't anyone have any new ideas? Just a thought.
March 24, 1999, 5:11 p.m. CST
Now THIS is what I like to see! Good job Mr. Oliver!
March 25, 1999, 8:40 a.m. CST
Although I feel that the integrity of the movie should be maintained as much as possible, I'm somewhat in agreement with Epsilon3 in that there should be new ideas explored. Like how about basing the Jetcar in the new series on something other that a now-vintage 1983 Ford pickup? I don't think it should be too fancy (that would go against the spirit of the original), just updated. You'd think the Banzai Institute, with the wealth of technology at its fingertips, would employ a newer model vehicle 15 years down the road, no? Either way, who cares? I can be as nostalgic as anyone else...
March 25, 1999, 9:51 a.m. CST
by Pope Buck 1
Hey, the whole point of making it a SERIES as opposed to a sequel movie is that they will HAVE to come up with a new hour's worth of stuff every week. That makes me think they're basically gonna be forced to come up with SOMETHING new. Check out "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" for a textbook example of how a series can expand on a movie's ideas and explore them in even more exciting ways! It's the difference between having less than 2 hours of screen time in a movie, and 22 hours of TV time in a season.
March 25, 1999, 11:20 a.m. CST
I used to have a 75 Firebird. Getting under the hood was easy, plus there was a lot of room for add on dimensional barrier equipment. Under my wife's nissan hood, there is hardly any room. There are good reasons for sticking with the older model cars - other than Fox budget. :)
March 25, 1999, 8:38 p.m. CST
by Ted Arlauskas
I can't get the Banzai Quicktime video to load from the effects software page. Is anyone else having this problem?
March 25, 1999, 9:31 p.m. CST
Well as far as the old Jet Car is concerned, it IS test footage. What better item to have a CG test for than something Banzai fans are familiar with. And in the off chance that this might be production footage, it would be cool way to link the Banzai movie with the 90's, showing how a past event affects things today type of flashback. Oh well its fun to speculate. And yes the QT file doesn't seem to work for me also
May 4, 1999, 5:59 p.m. CST
Some people seem to be worried about the inclusion of the jet car in this form... but it's always possible that it's going to be used for 'flashback' purposes, or it may be used alongside an upgraded model - don't worry yet!
July 14, 2006, 9:04 a.m. CST
- Has STAR WARS EPISODE VII Landed Its First Non-OT Cast Member? -- 309 total posts 11 posts
- Steven Seagal might be joining THE EXPENDABLES 3!! -- 159 total posts 6 posts
- NBC To Launch This July 13-Episode Scripted Series SIBERIA, About Strange 21st Century Happenings At The Site Of The 1908 Tunguska Meteor!! -- 34 total posts 4 posts
- Trailer For Alejandro Jodorowsky's THE DANCE OF REALITY Is Filled With Hauntingly Surreal Imagery! -- 33 total posts 4 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1105 total posts 4 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 476 total posts 2 posts
- Capone reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and considers the art of messing with canon and why it doesn't bother him!!! -- 590 total posts 2 posts
- STAR WARS REBELS Coming To Disney XD Fall 2014!! Chock Full-O-McQuarrie!?!? -- 170 total posts 2 posts
- John Ary's Video Review Of The New CAPTAIN AMERICA (1990) Blu-ray!! -- 174 total posts 2 posts
- New PACIFIC RIM Trailer Takes A Battleship Upside The Head Of Every Other Summer Movie Trailer! -- 297 total posts 1 post