Herc Heartily Endorses The CW’s BEAUTY AND THE GEEK III!!
I am – Hercules!!
There’s no Richard Rubin-like standout among the geeks this season, but one does find one’s focus drawn toward two of the contenders:
* Drew, a “Star Trek” fanatic who travels with his own Starfleet formalwear, likes to explain - to any of the pageant contestants and models who will listen – why the term “Trekker” is preferred to “Trekkie”; and
* Nate, the bearded lead singer of a “Star Wars” tribute band, demonstrates laudable adaptability and an engaging knack for comedy.
* Matt, a gooney MIT grad student who can recite Pi to 180 digits;
* Niels, who thinks the girls might be interested on his take on the finer points of electrical engineering;
* Sanjay, a virgin who can imitate household appliances but doesn’t know what “booty” means in his beloved rap songs;
* Piao, a smiley little Asian fellow who has only kissed one girl;
* Mario, a chubby guy who owns 25,000 comics; and
* Scooter, who turns up in a bolo tie and red knee-socks.
The same mansion from the previous seasons is utilized. The boys arrive there on scooters. The girls arrive via limo.
Both genders have to pick their partners via group interviews, but for this third season they do not get to learn ahead of time what any given candidate looks like.
The girls’ first challenge involves finding three library books using the Dewey Decimal System. The geeks then have to approach strangers and borrow a cell phone, get a female’s phone number and have someone rub suntan lotion on their back.
Soon after, a sizeable cash bribe is offered to the first couple that drops out of the competition.
(A strange coincidence: One of the first immunity challenges takes place at Hollywood’s Laugh Factory, and this year’s host of “Beauty and the Geek” is a fellow named Mike Richards!)
Highly entertaining, substantially because the show is so well-cast.
But what matters Herc’s opinion?
TV Guide gives it an 8 (out of 10) and says:
… Third time is even more charming for this unexpectedly sweet reality game show …
The Los Angeles Times says:
… Who knew that Ashton Kutcher would become a social and ethical barometer of our time? … Beginning its third season on Wednesday, "Beauty and the Geek" is one of the most endearing and engaging reality programs, largely because of its core belief that people, even walking stereotypes, contain a capacity to transform.
The New York Daily News says:
… arrives with the same old tricks, tone and formula - but that's not a complaint. When something's this not broke, there's no need to fix it. … "Beauty and the Geek," in the end, is warmer than most reality competition shows. It's also effortlessly watchable, with more laughs than many of this year's sitcoms.
The Boston Herald says:
… unlike so many other so-called reality shows, “Beauty” is about genuinely improving oneself, about opening up to people one would never typically meet. Contestants don’t throw each other under the proverbial reality-TV grinder. The elimination is sad. Still, you could lose IQ points the way some segments drag on in the two-hour opener. When is the CW going to move on that long-talked-about pairing of himbos with female dorks? That could be a revolutionary hour.
8 p.m. Wednesday. The CW.
Whedon-y Goodness Under $20!!!!
$19.97 Angel Season Two
$19.97 Angel Season Three
$19.97 Angel Season Four
$19.97 Angel Season Five
$19.97 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season One
$19.97 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Two
$19.97 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Three
$19.97 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Four
$19.97 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Five
$19.97 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Six
$19.97 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Seven
More Fox/MGM season sets for $20 or less:
$19.97 Arrested Development Season One
$19.97 Arrested Development Season Two
$18.00 Arrested Development Season Three
$19.97 The Big Valley Season One
$17.97 The Bob Newhart Show Season One
$18.00 The Bob Newhart Show Season Two
$18.00 The Bob Newhart Show Season Three
$18.00 The Bob Newhart Show Season Four
$19.97 Dark Angel Season One
$19.97 Dead Like Me Season One
$19.97 Dead Like Me Season Two
$19.97 Dharma & Greg Season One
$20.00 Errol Morris’ First Person Season One
$19.97 Fame Season One
$15.00 Green Acres Season One
$15.00 Green Acres Season Two
$15.00 Green Acres Season Three
$19.97 Harsh Realm Season One
$19.97 Hill Street Blues Season One
$19.97 Hill Street Blues Season Two
$19.97 How I Met Your Mother Season One
$19.97 Jeremiah Season One
$19.97 The Lone Gunmen Season One
$15.00 The Magnificent Seven Season One
$19.97 Malcolm in the Middle Season One
$17.97 The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season One
$18.00 The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season Two
$18.00 The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season Three
$18.00 The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season Four
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season One
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Two
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Three
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Four
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Five
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Six
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Seven
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Eight
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Nine
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Ten
$19.97 M*A*S*H Season Eleven
$19.97 Millennium Season One
$19.97 Millennium Season Two
$19.97 Millennium Season Three
$19.97 NYPD Blue Season One
$19.97 NYPD Blue Season Two
$19.97 NYPD Blue Season Three
$19.97 NYPD Blue Season Four
$19.97 Over There Season One
$19.97 Point Pleasant Season One
$19.97 The Pretender Season One
$19.97 The Pretender Season Two
$19.97 The Pretender Season Three
$19.97 The Pretender Season Four
$19.99 The Rat Patrol Season One
$19.97 Reba Season One
$19.97 Reba Season Four
$19.97 Remington Steele Season One
$20.00 Remington Steele Season Two
$19.97 Remington Steele Season Three
$19.97 Roswell Season One
$19.97 Roswell Season Two
$19.97 Roswell Season Three
$20.00 She Spies Season One
$18.00 Tru Calling Season Two
$19.97 The White Shadow Season One
$19.97 The White Shadow Season Two
$20.00 The Young Riders Season One
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 3, 2007, 8:23 a.m. CST
by Pound Sand
"Mario," of course being a psuedonym for "Harry Knowles."
Jan. 3, 2007, 8:49 a.m. CST
by Col. Tigh-Fighter
ladys. For shame!
Jan. 3, 2007, 8:54 a.m. CST
but since Mario isn't described as a ginger kid I doubt it is Harry
Jan. 3, 2007, 8:59 a.m. CST
Dude why not promo OW My Balls! Same idea.
Jan. 3, 2007, 10:11 a.m. CST
The little asian chick last year who hooked up with the monkey-laser-tracker-guy was about to graduate from college and said she wanted to go to med school and be a Doctor. now I know plenty of stupid people who say things like that, but that chick wasn't really that dumb... it seemed almost unfair to the chicks on the show who were borderline tards.
Jan. 3, 2007, 10:22 a.m. CST
by Uncle Stan
The heat is on.
Jan. 3, 2007, 10:22 a.m. CST
by Uncle Stan
The heat is on.
Jan. 3, 2007, 11:21 a.m. CST
by Lance Rock
Jan. 3, 2007, 11:32 a.m. CST
Aw, c'mon! this kind of programs should be a one time deal (or well, canceled on the drawing board, rejected, not aired ever, but...it's on the CW!)<p> Oh, and 'Wonderfalls', there, I saved Herc the shame of coming up with an shameful article excuse to bring up that word.
Jan. 3, 2007, 11:40 a.m. CST
But then again I only watch it for the hot young ass.
Jan. 3, 2007, 2:56 p.m. CST
I would hate to say what geek I resemble. But, you are right! Very funny!
Jan. 3, 2007, 4:05 p.m. CST
Do the geeks really change? Sure they're not intimidated by the "Beauties" anymore but that is after weeks of living with them. Are they able to approach women they don't know? Have they kept their cool haircuts and updated their wardrobe or have they fallen back to their comfort zone?****** The beauties never really change. They realize the geeks are real people, but I'm sure they're back to dating hunks. The geeks that did hook up in the 1st 2 seasons were the best looking and most socially adept of the group. I'm sure after a couple of weeks they started looking real good to these sequestered, horny chicks. My guess is they were dumped once the beauties were out in the real world.***** I felt really bad for the two tiny geeks (forgot their names) that were on the first 2 seasons. The first guy was really annoying and tried way too hard to be funny. The 2nd guy knew he suffered from social anxiety and was trying to overcome it. He was a stressed little guy but he did seem to improve. He did ask a girl out in Vegas(a Woody Allen fan) and was rejected. He took the rejection well and realized it wasn't a big deal.
Jan. 3, 2007, 7:19 p.m. CST
Sadly, I wasn't geeky enough. And I don't mean that as some sort of endorsement of myself; I'm really angry I wasn't geeky enough. I've let my geekery slip ever since leaving college. Additionally, I knew way too much about pop culture to have a shot.
Jan. 3, 2007, 7:31 p.m. CST
Is that they put the pussy on a pedestal.
Jan. 3, 2007, 8:52 p.m. CST
What does it say about someone that knows the answers to both the geek, and the beauty questions.
Jan. 4, 2007, 6:53 a.m. CST
Come on there is nothing else on right now anyway! I've been watch Bond movies in order from Encore til I saw this talkback anyway. Not sure if the program is faked at this point, but it's interesting. Looks like next week a geek gets lucky with two beauties! I am hoping that the Trekkie and the Star Wars singer get into a fight about the obivous. Of course the Trekk"er" could not explain the dif between "Trekie" and "Treker." Trekie is like a bug so not perfered, and Treker is like Trucker or truckin along so it's more acceptable that way I believe.
Jan. 4, 2007, 6:06 p.m. CST
How the fuck did he not win? A fat dude claiming to get chicks got laughs?
Jan. 6, 2007, 12:25 p.m. CST
Jan. 6, 2007, 5:11 p.m. CST
by John Maddening
Drew is married with a kid, and Headgeek himself is getting married this summer. OH NOES!
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 691 total posts 68 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 409 total posts 43 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 363 total posts 28 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 44 total posts 27 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 212 total posts 21 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 361 total posts 14 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 9 posts