Killer Rabbit w/info on DARK CRYSTAL 2, PAN'S LABYRINTH, HELLBOY ANIMATED, CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE & more!!!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with Killer Rabbit who saw a ton of panels that I didn't and wants to tell you about it. I love this stuff. I spent 4 full days at the Con, without a moment to breath and there was still so much I missed. It's great to read these and get a real idea of the variety of the Con. The only thing we haven't heard much about is from the Comic Book side of the Con. Anybody out there have anything about the Comic Book panels? Let me know. Anyway, here's Killer Rabbit with tons of interesting dirt. My favorite stuff comes from the Jim Henson panel... Fraggle Rock: The Movie!?!? Hells yeah!
San Diego Comic Con Panels
I attended San Diego Comic Con over the weekend. If you are a fan of anything comics, movie, tv, animation or anime then this would be the best 55 dollars you ever spend. My back is still hurting from lugging around the big sack of free promotional stuff.
I thought you guys might like to have some notes from the panels I attended. They are put into three sections, MOVIES, ANIMATION, and TV So you can jump to whatever section interests you. I didn’t take notes so this is going from memory. If the panel was already reported on the site I make just a quick note.
If you use this, you can call me KILLER RABBIT.
Guillermo del Toro: Pan’s Labyrinth panel
This has been already been reported on but words cannot describe how funny this panel was. The movie trailer looked interesting for fans of fantasy films. But the star of the show was Guillermo. If you ever have a chance to see him speak you have to go cause he is hilarious in everything he says. Definitely worth tracking down if any one has a video of the panel. My favorite panel of the weekend.
Tales of the Rat Fink screening
Documentary about Renaissance man Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, who engineered a shift in mid-20th century culture with his customized cars, "monster" T-shirts and America's alternative rodent, "Rat Fink." I wasn’t that interested in subject matter as I’m not into cars but this doc kept my attention for the entire run time. It was filled with funny transtitions , animations . and talking cars. They were able to come up many creative and interesting ways to tell man’ bio without much video footage. It was like a funnier version of the Robert Evan’s KIDS STAY IN THE PICTURE. Recommended for fans of documentary regardless of if you are interested in car customization. A MUST SEE for anyone you know who is a car enthusiast.
IFC Presents This Film Is Not Yet Rated screening
An IFC Original Documentary from Oscar-nominated director Kirby Dick (Twist of Faith), is an unprecedented investigation into the MPAA film ratings system and its profound impact on American culture. What rating a picture gets impacts where and how a film is marketed. But who are the people that get to decide these movies fate. You would be surprised. It not the type you think. Or even the people that the MPAA say are the ones who are doing. And why are these people kept secret from the public. Kirby Dicks hires a private detective to uncover the secret of the MPAA. This is a thought provoking, sometimes funny, sometimes horrifying call to action. Find out the multiple contradictions that plague the MPAA guidelines. Find out how they put fear into directors all throughout Hollywood and the independents. Find out what YOU can do about. MUST SEE for anyone that goes to the movies.
Jim Henson Company panel
- Power of the dark crystal directed by Genndy Tartakofsky.(creator of Dexter’s Lab, Samurai Jack, Star Wars:Clone war cartoons.) When asked to direct he had two questions. Is it going to be with puppets. And will Brian Froud be involved. When both were answered yes, he signed on.
- Frank Oz has an open invitation to be apart of the production. GT would love to work with him especially as a puppeteer.
- The sequel will take place beneath the world of the first one.
- Fraggle Rock movie is in the works.
- Henson company puppeteers are going on the road with a Puppet improv show.
- They showed a greeting video from the two character for a adult late night puppet show that will be premiering soon. Looked really lame. Imagine if blank and blank weren’t funny.
- Jim Henson Design is a clothing line based on Jim Henson sketchbook.
Sony Animation panel
OPEN SEASON: The film tells the story of Boog (Martin Lawrence), a grizzly bear with no survival skills, who has his perfect world in the tranquil town of Timberline turned upside down when he meets Elliot (Ashton Kutcher), a scrawny, fast-talking wild mule deer.
- showed clip of them in the convience store. Imagine what you and your best friend would do if you had a seven eleven to yourself.It had funny gags.
- Had funny bunny gag at the beginning clip.
- Jill Culton wanted to make a film where both the character were the funny sidekick.
- Based on the cartoons of Steve Moore (In the Bleachers.)
- Worth checking out.
HELLBOY ANIMATED Panel
- They want each Hellboy incarnation to be different. They want the comic to be different then the movie different then the animated movie.
- Not done in Mignola style.
- Character designs by artist Cheeks.
- Doug Jones is doing the voice of Abe sapien.
- They showed a scene from the animated movie. Not seeing it in Mignola style after watching the amazing screwed on head pilot was a dissapointment. But the cartoon stay to the spirit of the comics.
Worth checking out if a fan of Hellboy.
-Aaron said that they wrote half the scripts for season 2.
- They hired Regina King to do the voice of Riley. And they scoured the world for a voice for Huey to only end up giving the job to Regina. And she still had to audtiton.
- Ludacris will be doing a voice next season for a rapper. I think they said the character’s name is going to be Bootylicious.
SPIKE AND MIKE SICK AND TWISTED SCREENING
- “TOY STORE!” If you watch the festival you know what I’m talking about. If not then you got to check it out just for that one reason.
- This is my first Spike and Mike I saw in a theatre. Loved the ability to boo off the crappy toons. And ability to make smart ass remarks.
- Saw Happy Tree Friends pilot. If you are fan of the cartoons you will like the show. Cute and cuddly creatures mutilating each other in creative ways. For me it dragged a little afterwhile. Not sure that this is good material for a whole half hour but worth checking out if you get G4 in your area.
STATE OF THE ANIMATION Panel
- Disney is bringing back 2-D animation! Frog Princess is in pre production.
- There are more jobs out there in the past few years than in any other time in the last 50 years. But it is still not easy to break in.
- If you are looking for animation job, you should look at smaller boutique shops to get your start.
- Also make a short and enter it into festivals. The more you get your stuff out there, the more people you meet, and more work you will get.
The Animation Show featuring Mike Judge and Don Hertzfeldt (first screening)— Mike Judge (Beavis and Butt-Head, Office Space, King of the Hill) and Don Hertzfeldt
- no King of the Hill movie in the works.
- Bill Plytom’s Guard Dog premiered. Says he wants to turn the character into his mickey mouse.
- Mike Judge might make new Beavis and Butthead cartoons. Possibly exclusive for the animation show.
- Don Hertzfeldt did not do those Pop tart commercials. He is looking into ligation about it.
- Mike said there was a time when an Office Space sequal was to be made but that time has past. It would of been about Dietrich Bader’s character being forced into a cubicle job.
CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE Panel
I’m a big fan of the books growing up. It’s nice to see that the interactive aspect of DVD are starting to come to the forefront with this and Final destination 3. I think it’s an untapped frontier. I wanted to see how they did the menus and how they wrote a story with so many forks in the road.
- The creators were such big fans of the book that is why they decided to do this project.
- From viewing it, the DVD was kind of disappointing. It was made for young kids. The animation reminded of that cheesy Liberty Kid’s cartoon. The segments between the choices were way too long where it might as well been a normal cartoon. And if you get a bad ending you don’t get to see the kids get eaten of anything bad. BOO!
- if you have suggestion of books you want to see made into the films send an email to them. They want to make these movies for the fans.
- Voices featured are William H. Macy, Frankie Muniz, and Mark Hamill.
- There are 11 possible endings with 4 possible storylines.
- Each DVD comes with fun facts about the country the story takes place in a booklet. If kids read the booklet it helps you make good decisions when you watch the DVD.
- Only recommended for people with young children.
Got to see the pilot. I was impressed. A lot was set up that could make some interesting tv in the week after the premiere. I don’t want to spoil it but it is a show to watch. For more see Herc’s review.
- they said the show is the opposite of LOST as in LOST is what happens when a group of strangers have to deal with a tragedy as JERICHO is about what a small town that knows each other does in one.
- Has nothing to do with the WWE wrestler.
- They didn’t want to make a show with people with skin falling off. But they will cover the radiation issue on the show.
- if you are a Rosario Dawson fan you missed out. She was there pimping her new comic book and I saw her walking around the convention all weekend. “Sooooo hot…want to touch the hyney.”
- Got autographs from all the people that worked on Happy tree friends. They said that HTF has been on tv everywhere but America. They were all very friendly and talkative.
- Jon Favreau was there signing Iron Man posters.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 27, 2006, 4:02 a.m. CST
that's twice in a day...suck it...looking forward to the Dark Crystal redux and Boondocks needs to get a movie out there ASAP.
July 27, 2006, 4:03 a.m. CST
New Beavis and Butthead cartoons? Count me excited...!
July 27, 2006, 4:09 a.m. CST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsQZJiCcJM8 Because, it sure didn't in the original. Regardless, I'm still eagerly anticipating this film.
July 27, 2006, 4:58 a.m. CST
that is all.
July 27, 2006, 5:29 a.m. CST
if they watched Fraggle Rock in lebanon and iraq, nobody would be fighting,
July 27, 2006, 6:20 a.m. CST
This was a very insightful report that means a lot to me. As a recent animation graduate, I've been struggling with getting into the studios and finishing my short films for the film festival circuit. ******* It's great to hear that Disney is getting back into 2D features of the calibre of The Little Mermaid. ******** Also, the news on "The Power of the Dark Crystal" is great... continuing the use of puppets is exactly what I wanted to hear. ******** And likewise that Don Herzfeltd is looking into those Pop Tart commercials. It was very obvious that he had not done them as the art style on the Pop Tart commercial is lacking. It's an obvious knock off. ******** Thanks for the news!
July 27, 2006, 6:55 a.m. CST
by Fraggle Rock
Worry's for another day! Let the music play, down at Fraggle Rock! *clap! clap!* Are there fraggles in The Descent?
July 27, 2006, 8:30 a.m. CST
by Mel Garga
because I had no idea former MLB slugger Andre Dawson had his own comic book that was based in the world of Fraggle Rock.
July 27, 2006, 9:06 a.m. CST
Just ask Kevin Smith.
July 27, 2006, 10:51 a.m. CST
by Rowley Birkin QC
July 27, 2006, 11:14 a.m. CST
This is the 21st century. Puppets are what your feet wear. Friggin' Rock is so '80s. And while Dark Crystal looked cool it was dull as dishwater. Who needs it. But thank god...more Disney 2D on the way. Now Disney 2D at its best is art for the eye, mind and soul. Best news I've heard in a long time.
July 27, 2006, 1:18 p.m. CST
Yes, I know Team America works because of the humour, but it still proves that you can watch a 90 minute flick with marionettes and become immersed in the action. Also, they are using CG backgrounds (although I hope they still build enough sets). I want this to be good.
July 27, 2006, 1:31 p.m. CST
This movie would rock and make insane bank.
July 27, 2006, 3:01 p.m. CST
I bought nearly all of those books when I was a kid (ok my parents did) as well as the D&D ones. Most of time you die when you choose wrong, a horrible gruesome death! Dunno if those books are still available, but if the video suck as the reviewer says they do, then I'd go for the books instead. They rocked.
July 27, 2006, 5:16 p.m. CST
Don't be greedy. You owe the world another Office Space. Maybe if Judge's next movie fails, he'll go back and make Office Space 2. (Just like Kevin Smith with Jersey Girl.)
July 27, 2006, 5:40 p.m. CST
I had no clue that Hertzfeld had nothing to do with them. That case should be easier to win than the one Tom Waits filed against Fritos during the early 90's.... I was just thinking about how cool CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE books were yesterday. Pity it seems like they've been watered down and poorly animated.
July 27, 2006, 6:07 p.m. CST
sorry but this is the Dark Crystal we're talking about here? imaginative, yes. but not any more imaginative than countless other fantasy stories which are much better told and have better stories, stronger characterisation. as for the fact that it doesn't have any humans in it, well that doesn't count for much seeing as gelflings are clearly human substitutes and i've stepped in puddles with deeper characterisation. so what was sooo ambitious about it? the Dark Crystal had a great setting but the story was hackneyed and, yes, it was quite dull too. Tolkien it ain't.
July 28, 2006, 1:32 a.m. CST
Jim Henson got a bit loopy over Dark Crystal. In the first cut he'd even had some of the characters speaking their own language with subtitles. After that bombed in previews he took the whole bit out. He was doing a LOT of crack back then, I hear. Yeah, Crystal looked cool thanks to Brian Froud but it was a flop otherwise. The puppets looked more real than Muppets but they still MOVED like Muppets and so the whole thing fell apart.
- Is DOCTOR STRANGE coming to us in July 2016?!! -- 287 total posts 91 posts
- Meet Bigfoot in this New Clip from EXISTS! -- 128 total posts 33 posts
- DESTINY ‘Raids’ Have Begun!! More Events Coming Soon!! -- 93 total posts 16 posts
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 627 total posts 15 posts
- Fox, Home Of GOTHAM, Makes Pilot Commitment To Project Based On DC Comics’ LUCIFER!! -- 70 total posts 11 posts
- Are you ready for THE GHOST DIMENSION!?! The new PARANORMAL ACTIVITY film gets a title and a release date!! -- 83 total posts 8 posts
- Capone credits Dan Stevens' performance as the key to THE GUEST being all kinds of twisted goodness!!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- A New Trailer For Robert Downey Jr’s THE JUDGE!! -- 64 total posts 5 posts
- More Details On The Upcoming And Promising ALIEN: ISOLATION Game!! 'Survivor Mode’!! -- 80 total posts 5 posts
- Hercules Says The Prognosis For Fox’s New GLEE-ish Hospital Hourlong RED BAND SOCIETY Is Not Very Good At All!! -- 9 total posts 3 posts