Today At The Florida Film Festival...
Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
... they’re screening a film called INSIDE. This is a film written and directed by a guy named Jeff Mahler. Why should you care?
Because Jeff Mahler was, and is, a Talkbacker. He's a lot of things. He's a John Hughes fanatic. He may well be the most non-ironic TEEN WOLF fan alive. He's the shortest non-midget in North America. And now he's a feature filmmaker. Pretty spiffy. The first time I was ever aware of him, it was as a Talkback identity. He was one of the many people who I then met in real life and ended up liking a lot in person. I know sometimes it seems like we “hate” Talkbackers, but that’s not the case. On a day like this, Harry and I feel like Talkback is a total success. Because we always wanted it to be a community, an extension of the site with a life of its own. We always wanted to get to know Talkbackers and to see what happens as they eventually cross from just talking about films to actually making them. And, yes, I know there are people in Talkback who already work in the industry, but the vast majority of our readership is made up of people outside of the industry.
So Jeff’s living the dream. He made a feature independently, and now he’s revving up on the festival circuit with it. The Florida Film Festival is a good one for the pure indies, films that really do just exist on credit cards and prayers. INSIDE isn’t a perfect film, but it’s a passionate one, and it’s just great to see it finally play on a screen for a real audience. Consider this a shameless plug if you will, or consider it inspiration for whatever it is you’re working on. Either way, if you’re in the area and you’re trying to decide what to see at the festival, try to fit in INSIDE tonight, from 6:00 until 8:00.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 30, 2006, 6:21 a.m. CST
I'm an *artist*. My posts are written specifically to go *unread*.
March 30, 2006, 6:27 a.m. CST
by Evil Chicken
- Very cool indeed. All the best Mr. Mahler.
March 30, 2006, 6:34 a.m. CST
by Nice Marmot
I am Darren Aronofsky.
March 30, 2006, 6:35 a.m. CST
Blind "first" post opens talkback for the film of a talkbacker. Narf! :P You go Jeff Mahler! What was his talkback name?
March 30, 2006, 7:20 a.m. CST
Its a pretty sweet theatre, and its literally two mins down the road from where i work right now this very second (guess im not really "working" this very second, but anywho...) congrats, u talkbacker i dont know, for makin a movie and havin it shown on the same screen and for the same festival that played Miller's Crossing a few years back and had G. Byrne on hand for a Q & A afterwards...oh, and my buddy Hollywood D. King had a film get shafted for best student short a few years back..FFF is still pretty a-okay
March 30, 2006, 7:38 a.m. CST
Although for some reason from Moriarty's review I kept expecting it veer off into 80's teen comedy. I was hoping there'd be a chick in headgear trying to drink out of a water fountain.
March 30, 2006, 7:42 a.m. CST
You hate me?
March 30, 2006, 8:54 a.m. CST
Livin the dream, Jeff :D
March 30, 2006, 10:08 a.m. CST
March 30, 2006, 10:55 a.m. CST
by THE KNIGHT
Man that's great... It's good to see fellow talkbackers making films... I know this other dude who made a film that's been accepted into the New York International Independent Film and Video Festival... Yes that is a loong festival name lol... Anyway... check out the site daysintheknight.com and yes it's me ^_^
March 30, 2006, 11:13 a.m. CST
by The Heathen
And a Floridian too! Really, a job well done.
March 30, 2006, 12:36 p.m. CST
Couldn't have happened to a nicer film lover!
March 30, 2006, 12:36 p.m. CST
Thats AWESOME! I hope it gets picked up so i can see it, somehow, buddy!
March 30, 2006, 12:44 p.m. CST
That is SOOOOOO cool! I wish I was Daron Aronofsky!
March 30, 2006, 5:18 p.m. CST
Arguably the coolest theater ever, I find it awesome that such a quaint and avant garde cozy little place houses none other than the Florida Film Festival...I remember seeing Together, The Mayor of Sunset Strip, and Enron: The Smartest Guys In the Room there, and that place rocks something fierce. Hooray for the Enzian, and congratulations to you, Jeff Mahler, on your film! I hope to see it sooner than later~
March 30, 2006, 6:02 p.m. CST
by The Guy Who Nods
A buddy of mine is a student at Full Sail who's seeing this tonight. I keep telling my friend that a Full Sail degree plus a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee. Perhaps this guy is the exception?
March 30, 2006, 6:39 p.m. CST
by frank cotton
and thanks - every one of you guys that makes it gives the rest of us wannabes that much more hope that one day, we might make it, too.
March 31, 2006, 2:22 p.m. CST
my cousin went there a few years back. now he's livin with his parents and not doing anything. that place is such a scam, id rather get into UCF film school.
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 298 total posts 162 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 145 total posts 67 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 279 total posts 64 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 65 total posts 27 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 316 total posts 15 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 10 total posts 10 posts