PHANTOMPALOOZA Sounds Too Cool For School!!
Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
Oh, man, I wish I was going to this. And I wish Guillermo Del Toro (the biggest PHANTOM fan I know) was my date so we could sing along to the movie and then tackle William Finley and Gerrit Graham after the film to explain to them why they are fucking gods.
In case you don’t know what I’m talking about, PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE is one of the most preposterously great underrated films of the ‘70s, and one of the highlights of Brian De Palma’s long and underrated career. It’s a great musical, a wicked pisstake on glam rock, and hilariously funny while still managing to be creepy all at once. Fuck Andrew Lloyd Webber right in his pants. This is the PHANTOM for me. And now... well, just check out what’s going on in Winnipeg...
Thought I'd give you a heads up on 'Phantompalooza' Brian De Palma's Phantom of the Paradise!
PotP bombed virtually everywhere it opened in late 1974 and was gone, written off with two weeks. EXCEPT in Winnipeg, Canada where it found an audience, and stayed on local screens for an astounding 62 weeks!
To commemorative this prescient display of good taste. a group of local volunteers has organized a one-day event on April 23 which will see a screening of the film at the original theatre where it played for over a year (the theatre has been converted to a conference centre a few years ago and is no longer used for feature films, but we were given a tour of it a couple of weeks ago and it is like stepping into the way-back machine and popping out in 1975! We are going to dig through our collections of memorabilia and dress up the lobby just the way it was 30 years ago.)
Confirmed attendees: William "Winslow Leach" Finley.....AND....Gerrit "Beef" Graham!!
Unfortunately Brian De Palma is unable to attend due to his current shoot of "The Black Dahlia" in Bulgaria, but is aware of the event and has sent his blessing. Ditto for Paul "Swan" Williams. Jessica "Phoenix" Harper unfortunately had to bow out due to family commitments but will be preparing a special taped greeting for us. But we are absolutely thrilled to have two of the original stars on their way up to the great white north for this event!
Fans are coming up to Winnipeg all the way from Florida, Virginia, Minnesota, California and across our frozen land to celebrate Phantom-mania!
Phantompalooza Organizing Committee
Doug, I wish you nothing but good luck with this one. It sounds like enormous fun, and if I thought I could sneak away, I would. When is there ever going to be another celebration of this particular film?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 21, 2005, 1:29 a.m. CST
just thought there should be more 3D boobie movies.
March 21, 2005, 1:37 a.m. CST
...is a *decent* DVD release of the film... you know, with maybe a a *little* effort put into it... a commentary track or two... deleted scenes...behind the scenes stuff... where are they now... at the VERY LEAST the original movie trailers (featuring the voice of Wolfman Jack). This trailer played on local Winnipeg TV for something like 6 months back in '74. Remember the old days when movies were routinely advertised on TV *beyond* the first 2 weeks of its release?
March 21, 2005, 1:48 a.m. CST
by George Newman
I've never heard of this film before, but dang, I want to track it down now.
March 21, 2005, 9:11 a.m. CST
by Anna Valerious
Prolly one of the strangest movies I've seen...even though I do admit that after the Phil Spector incident, it now totally creeps me out. Of course, still up in the air about how I feel about "Gatchaman Phantom".... Aaaanyway, it did inspire me to write my own modernized "Phantom" story...even though it's a little closer to the book, and being a girl, wrote it with Jay Gordon of Orgy in mind for the lead. If you want to read it, just e-mail me.
March 21, 2005, 10:19 a.m. CST
though it did freak me out.Paul Williams made some nice breaks in his time.Hope all the women who go wear flares.
March 21, 2005, 2:34 p.m. CST
Seriously. I wish there was more of this kind of shit going on in the filmworld. I grew up Vancouver Island in British Columbia and we had a local theatre that ran Dazed and Confused for a year and a half. It was an old second run theatre and you could usually get away with smoking a fat bowl inside the theatre. After a while word got out around town so the cops made management do something about it. I think I saw Dazed about 7 times at that theatre. This one time I went a guy lit up a joint a few rows ahead of me and a few minutes later the usher came over and put it out with a fire extinguisher, filling the air with that white shit.It was pretty fucking funny.
March 22, 2005, 11:15 p.m. CST
Oh please. I like Phantom of the Paradise, but never in a million years would I put it above Webber's Phantom. And seriously guys, it wasn't that great a movie. Paul Williams wrote some good music, and there were some good DePalma touches, but it was still low-budget and often muddled. It's a cult flick, not this astounding pinnacle of great film you make it out to be. Some will like it, most probably wont.
March 24, 2005, 11:35 p.m. CST
Paul Williams' score for this movie is an undeniable work of genius... meaningful,heartfelt lyrics and also dead-on parodies of the current rock and roll scene. Not only do I think its better than Webber's Phantom muzak... I think POTP also stands head and shoulders above The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I mean, I love "Rocky" too... but the direction and choreography was sort of slipshod. DePalma has never made a movie as good as "Phantom"... it's a real shame that this film went nowhere and his endless Hitchcock pastiches keep making all the money... clearly this was the sort of film that he would prefer to make.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 676 total posts 53 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 404 total posts 38 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 360 total posts 25 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 36 total posts 19 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 210 total posts 19 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 359 total posts 12 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 308 total posts 9 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 318 total posts 9 posts