Another day of news on 30 DAYS OF NIGHT - plus LURKER film news'
Hey folks, Harry here with the latest on the world of Steve Niles and his amazing horror comic turned cinematic horror future. Getting fresh india ink blood all over the silver screen thrills me, especially Niles' brand. Here's the latest!
Love the site, blah blah blah.
According to Steve Niles, its’ still early days on the 30 Days of Night movie. Apparently, Stuart Beattie has just turned in a final draft of the script (that had no small amount of input from Niles himself). When asked about the movie projects he had going, Niles commented that a lot of them were still up in the air and that nothing was certain.
In addition to possible Punisher 2 rumblings, the real news of the Dallas Comic Convention was Jane and Niles’ decision to form Raw Productions, a company dedicated to the creation of “quality” low-budget horror films. Jane and Niles are forming Raw in part because of the frustration involved in working with large studios (Niles related an early meeting regarding the “Criminal Macabre” / Cal McDonald property where Execs attempted to omit any drug references from upcoming scripts) and because Niles would like to have more direct control over some of his smaller properties.
Niles speculated that Raw’s first project would be an adaptation of his comic “Lurkers” (a title I recommend highly along with its companion title “Secret Skull”). Niles went on to say that in addition to a role as a producer, Jane would act in any upcoming projects.
If you use this, call me Dr. KillJoy.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 16, 2005, 8:32 a.m. CST
The comic works because of the atmospheric Dave McKean-ish art, and the Twin Peaks-ish mysteries of the town. The movie'll be a standard zombie siege, only with vampires, and snowy backgrounds to make it look like you've never seen it a thousand times before.
Feb. 16, 2005, 2:13 p.m. CST
Ok, I'm happy that another studio is being formed to produce horror flicks - maybe they'll actually not suck. I mean, when Sam Raimi announced Ghost House I thought "FUCKING YES!" But so far that studio has only churned out worthless mass-market PG13 shitstains of family cinema (ie, not anything that remotely resembles 'horror'). House of 1000 Corpses, Haute Tension (Switchblade Romance to those who would like buy the R2 DVD), and Cabin Fever... THOSE are horror movies. Horror films are supposed to make you feel dirty, uncomfortable, and downright shaken. The best should turn the average moviegoer (the kind that pays for garbgage like The Grudge) into a paranoid wretch for a week. They don't leave you giggly because they make you jump. Real horror dosnt do jump scares... it also dosnt do PG13. Part of the problem is our Nightmare on Elm Street/Friday the 13th culture... those aren't really horror films either. At least, not when they started pumping out sequels every other year. I'm sick of your fucking PG13 carebear thrillers, Hollywood. Give us HORROR goddammit, not cheap cheap giggles. Remember - 6th Sense was neither horror or a good movie.
Feb. 17, 2005, 3:04 p.m. CST
Is "30 Days of Night" being released as PG-13. I don't think it will happen, but really, who knows.
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 204 total posts 204 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 455 total posts 118 posts
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 102 total posts 102 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 68 total posts 68 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 177 total posts 47 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 75 total posts 46 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 52 total posts 44 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 55 total posts 33 posts