From the creator of LILO & STITCH our first look at AMERICAN DOG!!!!
Hey folks, Harry here with the last of the Disney future animated films - this one from Chris Sanders, the super genius that thought up LILO & STITCH - the last truly inspired work from Disney.. and folks... from the looks of this one... it's pure magic! I'd go so far as to say.. this is the surest thing Disney has. At least for my personal tastes, a crazed dog, scary rabbit thing, gangsters and thugs, hot cars faster than speeding trains! And the design just looks fucking great. Wow... these three animated films have me a bit excited about Disney animation again. The sky must be falling...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 16, 2004, 1:09 a.m. CST
So I'm there.
Aug. 16, 2004, 1:40 a.m. CST
Man, that painting of the poker game is beautiful. Is American animation learning something from the Triplets of Belleville, maybe? What great cartoon gangsters! In other news, Mary Gordon is an excellent novelist.
Aug. 16, 2004, 2:16 a.m. CST
that Disney leaves in the smoking and guns? I'd expect a watered-down version, but it still looks amazing. Disney seems to be regaining their pride, despite the fact that Eisner's still stinkin' up the place. Oh, and thank you Harry for changing the logo. A week of puking after coming here was enough.
Aug. 16, 2004, 2:49 a.m. CST
When are we going to grow up from overly cartoonized characters?Christ. I have sever reservations about this... whatever it is.
Aug. 16, 2004, 4:32 a.m. CST
I hope that 2D animation will be around for a hundred years more, cause 2D is art and 3D is just pretty to look at.
Aug. 16, 2004, 12:25 p.m. CST
How is a movie about a dog, a rabbit, and a cat milking the concept of a movie about a family of superheroes?
Aug. 16, 2004, 3:57 p.m. CST
by Mr. Waturi
I love a kids movies... "Iron Giant" and "Monsters, Inc." being my favorites. I actually walked out of "Lilo and Stitch." It was cute without being funny, animated without being interesting. The concept was fine, but the movie just dragged. The stills from this movie look nice, though. Looks like the same artist that creates the comic book about the polar bear and kid.
Aug. 16, 2004, 4:42 p.m. CST
the best looking stuff ive seen from disney in years.
Aug. 16, 2004, 5:14 p.m. CST
Quite a change from the usual Disney aesthetic. 'S a cute widdle dawg tho.
Aug. 16, 2004, 5:42 p.m. CST
i thought we had enough after American Pie, Beauty, Gigolo, Psycho, Graffiti, Splendor, Ninja, Outlaws, History X, Idol, etc.
Aug. 16, 2004, 6:11 p.m. CST
You win the the "most dickless criticism of the year" award.
Aug. 16, 2004, 7:02 p.m. CST
I've discussed this at length with a friend of mine. The trailer could be start as live action, panning around some 55-year old guy's rec room, blah blah talk talk, then it slowly pans up to a great big gaudy Dogs Playing Poker painting (possibly the one called "Poker Sympathy", the one with the dog falling out of the chair) And the audience will be thinking "Oh no... they CAN'T be serious..." Then once the painting takes up the entire frame it SPRINGS to life as a CGI film, with the dog finally falling back onto the floor and the others laughing. Cue: "Who Let the Dogs Out?" Then we meet the dogs, Ted Danson as the main bartender, Dolly Parton as the waitress dog, Hugh Grant as a stodgy British setter, Michael J Fox as the young "Hero" dog with a heart of gold and of course the evil henchmen of the ganster dogs "Twitch", an animal-testing lab escapee voiced by Steveo Buscemi. Anyway, it involves this bar that's run by humans but at night the dogs descend on it and play poker til the wee hours of the morning. Evil bankers (who also own the ganster dogs) are going to foreclose on the place and it's up to the rag-tag band of poker playing heros to save the day. It has to take place in the 1920's (shortly after the *classic* paintings were done) So it's Toy Story meets Dogs meets Every Animated Movie ever=BOX OFFICE GOLD! There ya go, Disney.
Aug. 16, 2004, 9:25 p.m. CST
by Mr. Waturi
Was my criticism not specific enough? I saw the movie once in a theater when it first came out. Sat through the first half and walked out. What I do remember was Stitch's escape from the alien ship was fun, but once he landed on earth the movie ground to a halt. I remember some lame surfing scene with the girl and the alien. The two villains that were chasing the alien show up and start watching him from behind trees. I left soon after. This is my second post today in this talkback. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go kill myself.
Aug. 16, 2004, 10:36 p.m. CST
by Human Worm Baby
That is not such a bad idea. I could go see, but it would be more interesting if there were profanity, them being dogs and not obeying the same rules as humans.
Aug. 17, 2004, 1:33 a.m. CST
The reason the film has such a strong sense of visual flair is because Chris Sanders is the best artist to work for Disney since Eyvind Earle. I spent much of the second viewing of "L & S" gawking at the backgrounds. It's the same with "Sleeping Beauty". Absolutely amazing.
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 382 total posts 16 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 21 total posts 4 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 627 total posts 4 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 2 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 97 total posts 2 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 1 total post 1 post