Universal And Tom Shadyac Buy TenNapel
Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
Well, congratulations are in order to Doug TenNapel. If you’ll remember, I reviewed his upcoming graphic novel TOMMYSAURUS REX here last week, and in the five days since, a feeding frenzy was ignited and Universal stepped up on behalf of Tom Shadyac and his Shady Acres shingle to beat out suitors like Robert Zemeckis, Wendy Finerman, and others. Now Shadyac has to decide what he’s going to do with the heartwarming story. Here’s hoping he leaves it pretty much as is. The book reads like storyboards for a great classic kid’s film already, and the more they unravel the delicate nature of the book and slap that Hollywood coat of crap on things, the less likely it is that audiences will hand over their hearts. And for the love of god... no matter what insane studio notes get handed down... do not lose the cameo. You know the one I'm talking about. When he hands over that sketch to those kids and they read his signature, it will make geeks around the world come to their feet cheering, especially if you get him while he's still alive.
A week ago, this was just a stack of editor’s proofs on my end table, and now TenNapel’s over a million dollars richer. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy or a better book, so I wish Shadyac well. I’ll be keeping an eye on them and keeping you guys posted, and when you get to read the book later this summer, you’ll understand just why everyone chased this one so hard.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 17, 2004, 7:35 a.m. CST
He ranks alongside Roger Spottiswoode as one of the most inept 'filmmakers; working in Hollywood
May 17, 2004, 8 a.m. CST
by Jon E Cin
Are you friends with this guy?
May 17, 2004, 8:24 a.m. CST
by drew mcweeny
... no, I'm not. I've never met Doug or even spoken to him on the phone. I just like his work, and it's nice to see someone whose work is so personal get rewarded in financial terms for sticking to his guns and doing what he believes in. If that's hard for you to accept or understand, that's your baggage, not mine.
May 17, 2004, 7:01 p.m. CST
...they picked up Mike Kunkel's wonderful "Herobear & the Kid" for a traditional animated film -- then dropped it. No explanation. And that was a COMPLETED and RELEASED property. I hope Tommysaurus lasts longer there and isn't treated with the same apparent disrespect.
May 17, 2004, 7:45 p.m. CST
The guy will never have an "and the he came into his own" project. Without Jim Carrey, he is nothing. With Carrey, he's abysmal. You hope he doesn't change "Tommysaurus"? Don't be surprised if the dinosaur farts in every other frame.
May 18, 2004, 1:12 a.m. CST
by Jon E Cin
Is it me or is it in bad taste to talk about how much money someone made because you promoted him on the site. Calling him "one of the nicest guys" could be completey wrong. I have met many nice people who turned out to be complete assholes and just want to use you for the position your in. Not saying that he did but in your "position" you are going to be meet a bunch of "nice" people. Remember that Batman Dead End director? Hell if I had any talent I would kiss your ass too.
May 18, 2004, 1:59 a.m. CST
Sorry to hear about that. I haven't read this particular comic strip but if Moriarty is correct about it being all good and everything then my heart goes out to this poor sap who had his comic strip bought out by fucking Tom Shadyac! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and I never even heard of this guy so obviously he's not my worst enemy. If it's any consolation I'm sure you could donate the money to a women's shelter or something but yeah it's true man, I wouldn't want to touch that kind of dirty money either. Keep your head up though Doug. Good luck, and try to get a clause in there about no farting, peeing or Robin Williams. in my opinion. Anyway I'm sure Moriarty didn't mean to do this to you on purpose, i can vouch for the dude he's not a vicious person. thanks bud.
May 18, 2004, 2:35 a.m. CST
DAMM!! One day Whoopi...One day...
May 18, 2004, 2:38 a.m. CST
Great! I'm glad that he got a lot of money from the movie rights. Does this mean he can afford to publish the comic now so we can ALL read it?
May 18, 2004, 3:36 p.m. CST
by Nice Marmot
If your praise is that much of an influence, how bout giving some props to Jeff Smith so we might get an animated Bone film series.
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 73 total posts 73 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 341 total posts 47 posts
- Another Talented Filmmaker Joins The DOCTOR STRANGE Directin' Derby! -- 44 total posts 44 posts