Moriarty Interviews ROGER CORMAN For Fox Searchlabs!!
Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
No, I’m not quite sure how I ended up on the Fox lot in Century City last year, sitting across from Roger Corman in front of a room full of the participants in the Fox Searchlabs program, interviewing him for the lecture series. But I'm extremely freakin' pleased it happened. Corman is a legend, and it was an honor to be asked to sit down and steer him through a fairly lengthy look back at his remarkable career.
It’s been many months since that happened, and now Fox has posted the edited version of the lecture on their site, and I have to say... aside from the extra tonnage I was carrying then, I’m really happy with the way this came out. I tried to make sure we touched on as many of the landmarks in his filmography as possible, and that I did my best to shut up and let Corman talk. Please... feel free to mock all the cut-aways to my “serious interviewer” expression, but enjoy the enormously entertaining and informative Corman. This guy is the real deal, and his advice is solid for anyone who wants to make movies without having to sell their souls to Hollywood. There’s a reason he’s been involved in so many amazing careers over the years.
Enjoy, and I’ll see you back here tomorrow with a new DVD column.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 1, 2004, 7:33 a.m. CST
by Cash Bailey
March 1, 2004, 9:18 a.m. CST
For which I'll be eternally grateful. But c'mon folks, his movies are really, really bad. sk
March 1, 2004, 10:24 a.m. CST
Cash Bailey you are right about that. When is the academy going to give this man a Oscar. Nobody in Hollywood in the last 40 years has contributed as much nor stood for the geniuine values of filmakers like Roger Corman. Sure he was a schlock or B-Filmaker but he did produce a number of classics as well as release foreign films and Art films that know one else would touch. And all the careers he started. This man deserved one ten years ago. I dont know why some hack job with a quarter of the contributions like Blake Edwards gets a liftime achievment award and not this pioneer. Why isnt someone getting him a award? This is what those types of lifetime achievement awards were created for. Men who never won Oscars but whose influence and impact are still felt. Say what you want about his work, but he deserved the award much more than Blake " couple of lucky hits" Edwards.
March 1, 2004, 2:54 p.m. CST
The stuff he did for Showtime several years ago. With a real budget.
March 1, 2004, 3:16 p.m. CST
by Harry Weinstein
The man is the blueprint. Harvey Weinstein is on the Corman dick every day, but he's a pale imitation. He doesn't get it the way Corman does.
March 1, 2004, 6:58 p.m. CST
This is the kind of stuff I like to see on the site! Keep it up, gents.
March 1, 2004, 7:07 p.m. CST
What a legend. He came to my University Union last summer and spoke for 90 mins. He was pure class and so sharp. Shame more didn't turn up to see him. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be surrounded by such ignorant bastards in what claims to be one of the world's premiere seats of learning...
March 2, 2004, 12:13 a.m. CST
Damn straight, Cash. I admit that I don't think I've ever seen a Corman flick, but he should get an honorary Oscar - presented by Nicholson, of course.
March 2, 2004, 12:27 p.m. CST
Let's NEVER forget the creative people that were fed to the McCarthy sharks during the '50's by your beloved Roger Corman to save his own ass! Do you think for one minute that Corman's exploitive shit movies could have survived anti-Commie scrutiny without him offering up others to the hearings? He's a business-only scumbag that got to where he is with the blood on his hands of those who had THEIR movie dreams crushed forever! Makes me ill just thinking about it.
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 485 total posts 15 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 440 total posts 13 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 189 total posts 5 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 220 total posts 3 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 32 total posts 2 posts
- Harry's 49th Picks & Peeks of 2013: OCTAGON, THE WOLVERINE, more Ninjas, Serpico & Saturn 3, NASHVILLE & more! -- 194 total posts 1 post
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 210 total posts 1 post