INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS...
I love the seventies version of the Don Seagal classic. Why? Well, because it ain't really a remake as much as it is a sequel. And I love that aspect. The best part being, that you don't know it's a sequel till about halfway through, when you see a key climatic event from the end of the original.
I love the tilting back of the head, the pointing and that unearthly wail. After seeing the film, you just can't help but walk around, all zomie-eyed and pointing at people and emulating the scream. It's just so dang fashionable. Try it at the next coctail luncheon, or at a wedding reception. It's the best.
One of the best things about this film is the cast. Ya have Donald Sutherland, who was just about as cool an actor as you could be in the seventies. He just had this feel to him that was perfect. Take a look at him in this and in KLUTE, THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE, MASH, etc... He just about kicks everyone's ass. And here, when he goes into the kitchen of that restaurant looking for rat turds... well... he's the scariest Health Inspector ever. He's cool. The scene has me in stiches.
Then you have Jeff Goldblum, who's just coming off of raping Charles Bronson's daughter in DEATH WISH, but here, he's really showing off. Like a cocky unconfident Woody Allen, he deals out psychosis and paranoaisms like fresh vegetables at a market. And his wife in the film. The wonderful Frog-eater, the berry-barfer, the psycho-chic is sooooo perfect as the quirky attractive woman you would want to marry and have a mud bath center with.
Finally ya have Leonard Nimoy, who I loooooooooove in this film, because he's not Spock. He's an entirely different character. When he throws Goldblum against that wall and wails into him... he's a god. He could of been such a fun actor, if people only utilized him, and played him against 'Spock-type'. Here as the intellectual psychiatrist... he's just perfect.
The film is filled with great cameos like Kevin McCarthy, and Don Siegal as the taxi cab driver... And there is the classic scene with the dog that is soooo much better than the similar one in MARS ATTACKS. Then we also have the cool scene with Sutherland with a hoe. Go take a look at this film, it holds up damn well, and is a great frigging movie in it's own right.
The audience played into it perfectly. Elijah was into it. He was excited. He was thrilled. The actors all got together and began talking about the film, how it played into theirs, and it served the perfect purpose. Ahhh... nothing like a good similar themed movie.
Next on the line up was...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Dec. 18, 2001, 1:17 a.m. CST
Dec. 18, 2001, 1:26 a.m. CST
Just been gettin smokey and watchin the DVD of Invasion of the Body Snatcher. How bout the Snatch? You gotta dig on the Snatch!? Huh? Especially Sutherland with the Hoe? Leonard Nimoy versus Jeff Goldblum? The Angles. The smashed window. This must have been a nice time. All the extras in the world and the foot chase. Oh the foot chase. No faces. Damn fun sequence. We watched some Copperfield tonight too. I'm sleeepy.
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 249 total posts 169 posts
- A Poster For The Badass Looking GODZILLA!! -- 97 total posts 97 posts
- Our First Sense Of Uni's FAST AND THE FURIOUS 7 Strategy?? -- 95 total posts 95 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 651 total posts 94 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 146 total posts 75 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 71 total posts 71 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 133 total posts 59 posts
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Teaser Posters Portend The Arrival Of Next Week's Trailer!! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- ‘That Seat Is Taken!!’ The Return Of AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ANARCHY, MOONSHINERS & INCOME Finales!! Galactic Pioneers On FUTURESCAPE!! New TROPHY, AWKWARD, STORAGE, NCIS, LOSER, VOICE, FIRE, TOSH!! Tom Hanks On KIMMEL!! Michelle Dockery On FALLON!! Lizzy Caplan On CHELSEA!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 70 total posts 29 posts