Hercules Has Seen SKIN 1.1!!
Hercules The Strong says:
Everybody seems to like this pilot a whole lot more than I did – maybe because most of them saw the first two episodes and I only saw the pilot. The “Skin” characters, to my ears, come off as all carboardy and familiar. And unlike its fellow freshman Fox soap, “The O.C.,” the “Skin” pilot is just teeming with scenes that ring false, like the one that depicts a porn magnate “surprising” potential investors by trotting out semi-nude stars. “Wow!” the investors’ faces tell us. “Who expected a porn king to trot out half-naked girls at a meeting?? Where do I sign away my billions??!!” But, again, perhaps things get better in episode two.
TV Guide says:
… as irresistible as it is overripe … unexpectedly engrossing and suspenseful … the dads steal the show …
… might be described as a cross between "Boogie Nights" and "Romeo and Juliet" except that it contains fresh elements found in neither. It is, in reality, a very clever series that balances Fox's need for teen angst and romance with a superbly constructed chess game between powerful adversaries played by outstanding actors. …
… watchable … Granted, even the bard would be challenged to transform "Romeo & Juliet" into a Fox sudser set against the porn industry, but "Skin's" producers have pulled it off about as well as can be done despite inherent limitations. … while D.J. Cotrona and Olivia Wilde are extremely attractive, watching them coo at each other starts to grow tiresome by the end of the second hour screened. …Writer-producer Jim Leonard also concocts a fair amount of intrigue … He doesn't help the show's cause, however, with whiny teen dialogue like Adam saying, "The less my parents are home, the more rules they make." … it at least represents an attempt at turning out a quality, character-driven drama -- a welcome departure from the Bruckheimer factory's steady output of crimeshows
USA Today gives it three stars (out of four) and says:
The plot maze is amusingly complicated, and the fine cast wends its way through it with sure-footed conviction. As for the teen-targeted stars, Cotrona and Wilde make an almost impossibly attractive couple. … Following the plot won't be easy, but that's the beauty of Skin. It's lovely to look at, even when you're not sure what's going on underneath.
9 p.m. Monday. Fox.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 20, 2003, 11:11 a.m. CST
This show will eat like Knowles at a good ole Southern BBQ!!
Oct. 20, 2003, 11:29 a.m. CST
by Mister Pink
That's the problem with network television. A show which is supposed to be about the porn industry can't have any porn in it, not even a titty shot. If the networks want to compete with HBO for gritty shows they need to start showing some balls...literally.
Oct. 20, 2003, 11:37 a.m. CST
by Silver Shamrock
It'll make millions! The money will never run out on this highly original idea!
Oct. 20, 2003, 2:28 p.m. CST
That would make me a regular viewer. As it stands I have to pass: the History Channel and my Fox Sportsnet hockey package are calling my name.
Oct. 20, 2003, 4:56 p.m. CST
It's like Romeo and Juliet...but...vapid
Oct. 20, 2003, 9:37 p.m. CST
No, really. I mean, how does someone take the idea of Romeo and Juliet and stretch it out for 22 episodes let alone multiple seasons? Ok, so 2 kids fall in love, and their parents disapprove. Then what? Is each ep them keeping it a secret from their parents? Or do the parents find out and then each ep is them secretly meeting and having sex? Or do the parents find out, are initially displeased, eventually get used to it, and the show ends? What a shitty idea for a show.
Oct. 20, 2003, 10:19 p.m. CST
If this show is half as good as The OC I'll be watching. That blonde chick is hot and Laura Leighton, the ultimate Melrose Place vixen (Sydney)is in it. I'll watch if only for her.
Oct. 21, 2003, 12:23 a.m. CST
by Eternal Watcher
It's almost a given Hypocrite D.A. and Moral Porno Boss wil convince their kids they should date other people, and they'll be tempted and seduced when they discover there are other dopey teens in the world they can date. If the show sticks to the two men out to ruin each other just to keep the show going, that would be good. If the Romeo and Juliet wanna-bes decide they'll date, and tell their dads to have their little war as long as they're not part of it, that would also be good. Maybe they'll be bored with each other. My idea to end this show is if the dads wind up killing each other.
Oct. 21, 2003, 2:01 a.m. CST
I had the same thought as ZeroC.I really don't see this credibly stretching beyond 22 episodes.As a one season limited series though,it would be cool if it escalated into a War of the Roses/Titus (Shakespeare,not the tv show) type of shindig.Did anyone else notice Asia Carrera among the dancers at the board meeting? If they're gonna have porn cameos each week,I may have to tune in just to see the hedgehog's eventual role,no pun intended.
Oct. 22, 2003, 1:19 a.m. CST
BTW, whats the facial record anyway?
Oct. 24, 2003, 9:49 p.m. CST
Fix your html
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 166 total posts 162 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 84 total posts 84 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 730 total posts 16 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts