Jim Carrey isn't voicing a turtle, its a raccoon in CG version of OVER THE HEDGE!
Hey folks, Harry here... in that report we had yesterday from SHOW-CANADA, the writer said there was a property that had Jim Carrey as the voice of a turtle... Actually, this is the CG - OVER THE HEDGE animated feature starring Jim Carrey as RJ the Raccoon and Gary Shandling as Verne The Turtle. We'd run a story on this a long time ago which I didn't make the connection to, but here's the OVER THE HEDGE artist T Lewis to give us an update! Here ya go...
I'm T Lewis. I draw the nationally syndicated comic strip "Over the Hedge" that I co-created with writer Mike Fry (a UT grad, btw, currently living in Buda). Runs in the Statesman and a bunch of other papers. The strip was bought by Dreamworks and is slated for a 2005 holiday opening.
Jim Carrey voices our star, RJ (a raccoon). Gary Shandling has signed to do Verne (a turtle, and as is usual with Verne, the source of the confusion).
Producer: Bonnie Arnold (Toy Story). Co-Producer: Jim Cox (Beauty & the Beast, Ferngully). Director: Tim Johnson (Antz, Sinbad). Co-director: Ash Brannon (Toy Story). Writer: Len Blum (Meatballs, Private Parts).
It'll be cgi. Wildly talented storyboard guys and gals are currently grinding away feverishly. My trips to the studio have been mind bending. Truthfully, it's been fascinating and humbling to have such howitzer-sized guns trained on our little creation.
A quick Google on "Hedge" and "Carrey" will fill in the details. The strip is in your paper, or on the web at UnitedMedia.Com
Thanks. I enjoy the site.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 6, 2003, 4:30 a.m. CST
I'm first. Movie sounds fine.
May 6, 2003, 5:03 a.m. CST
by 9 Fingered Frodo
comics are not funny
May 6, 2003, 5:04 a.m. CST
by 9 Fingered Frodo
I can't wait til I get my CG andy capp.
May 6, 2003, 5:12 a.m. CST
shaddappp! all the im first...im second crap..nobody CARES!!
May 6, 2003, 5:54 a.m. CST
Hotdogs are made out of lips, and assholes, BROTHER!
May 6, 2003, 6:04 a.m. CST
...its just a shame we have to listen to his whiney mugging voice. Garry Shandling is cool tho
May 6, 2003, 6:05 a.m. CST
a friend of mine is a character rigger/animator at dreamworks, specifically for Over the Hedge. he hasn't told me much, since they're not at that stage yet, but if i find anything i'll post it here.
May 6, 2003, 2:11 p.m. CST
by Silver Shamrock
Where would we be without Jim Carrey doing more wacky animal voices? He's on the fast track to becoming a Steven Segal or Van Damme type: an actor that people can't believe that they once paid top dollar to see at the movies.
May 6, 2003, 2:26 p.m. CST
...makes me glad we'll never see a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon, as there's no way in hell they'd do justice to the characters with any one celebrity voice such as those too. Then again, Watterson wouldn't have a cartoon of C&H made anyway.
May 6, 2003, 2:27 p.m. CST
...makes me glad we'll never see a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon, as there's no way in hell they'd do justice to the characters with any one celebrity voice such as those too. Then again, Watterson wouldn't have a cartoon of C&H made anyway. *friendswithbenefits.com*
May 6, 2003, 5:38 p.m. CST
"hairy fishnuts?" anyone that recognizes that phrase will earn a lot of respect from me.
May 6, 2003, 5:47 p.m. CST
May 6, 2003, 11:22 p.m. CST
by Osmosis Jones
It's even in widescreen (fucking amazing for a catalogue "family" title these days). Nothing on it but the trailer, but the movie makes it a must-own. We don't need a CG version.
May 7, 2003, 1:53 a.m. CST
"pear pimples for hairy fishnuts." Just cough up some dough, Mac.
May 7, 2003, 3:04 a.m. CST
Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts. That's a classic, and still one of my favorite comic strip moments of all time. Opus became thoroughly redefined shortly after that, but it's a hilarious bit. Just cough up some dough, mac.
Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 189 total posts 189 posts
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 84 total posts 82 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 75 total posts 75 posts
- Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 86 total posts 60 posts
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 150 total posts 46 posts
- From The Director Of GRAVITY!! The First Two Minutes Of NBC And Bad Robot’s BELIEVE!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- Jeremy Returns With More Tales From The CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Set! -- 71 total posts 45 posts
- "Just another Saturday night" Marv and company are back in the first trailer for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR!! -- 185 total posts 43 posts
- Eric Bana Wants to DELIVER US FROM EVIL in this New Trailer! -- 43 total posts 43 posts
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 39 total posts 39 posts