First look at the Director's Cut of TOUCH OF EVIL!!! Also info on WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, THE GREEN MILE, Andy Kaufman Biopic and
When Orson Welles died he left a detailed description of exactly how he wanted to cut TOUCH OF EVIL if the studio had allowed him, well now that has happened. Below is a report of how that has turned out. This is one of the best films ever made, touching it is near sacrilege, but it is Welles' wishes, and I'm dying with anticipation to see this cut. Also Gondo has included news about what will be one of the best films of the year, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, as well as shooting info on THE GREEN MILE and the Andy Kaufman Biopic. Oh yeah, and a tidbit or two on HOBBIT/LORD OF THE RINGS...
I've been reading your page for a while and have found quite entertaining, and I have finally decided to send a little info your way. My name is Gondo and I've been working on movies for about five years now, and just saw a print of the re-cut "Touch of Evil" and after reading your take on the 100 best movies I thought you might like to hear about it. Walter Murch talked about it for a little while, and read from the Wells Memo (leave that out if used) then there was the screening. First off, the print is Brilliant. I've seen the laserdisc, the prints before, but this is an amazing, pristine print almost entirely from the original negative. The main differences in the cutting happen in the first twenty minutes. There are no credits over the inital long tracking shot, and there is no soundtrack music. Mancini's music was replaced with source music from the various clubs and the car radio. The effect is brilliant, and the execution is seamless. Then, after the explosion, the scenes with Charlton Heston and Janet Leigh are intercut, creating a parallel storyline much earlier in the film and moving the action along much more quickly. So big Chuck the Latino is talking with Joseph Cotton, then Janet is being led astray by the Grande kids, then fat Orson comes in. All very nice. Anyway, it will be released in about 250-300 theaters in September, so that's something to look forward to. Above all, Kudos to Water Murch, a long overlooked but incredibly influential filmmaker who has done a real service to Welles' brilliance.
Also, a couple quick notes on which I will expand later:
"Green Mile?" Production begins in about a month
Andy Kaufman bio-pic starring Jim Carrey and directed by Milos Foreman? begins filming in about a month also.
"What Dreams may Come"-Promises to be brilliant, if the effects can be finished in time-Trouble there. Reshoots took place last week for a new ending, more happy of course.
And a little tidbit about "Lord of the Rings" Think about the Hobbit, Lord
of the Rings both being filmed, back to back. That's the current plan,
depending on financing. Of course the effects are huge, and filming
probably won't finish until '00.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 531 total posts 117 posts
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 87 total posts 87 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 336 total posts 60 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 130 total posts 28 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 226 total posts 24 posts
- 12 TIFF reviews from 'garbageman33' covers everything from Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER to Baumbach's WHILE WE'RE YOUNG! -- 25 total posts 23 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 185 total posts 21 posts
- Meryl Streep Bewitches the First INTO THE WOODS Poster! -- 68 total posts 17 posts
- AICN COMICS Reviews: Grant Morrison’s ANNIHILATOR! HAWKEYE! DUNGEONS & DRAGONS! SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! TOM CLANCY’S SPLINTER CELL! & More! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 153 total posts 13 posts