First look at the Director's Cut of TOUCH OF EVIL!!! Also info on WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, THE GREEN MILE, Andy Kaufman Biopic and
When Orson Welles died he left a detailed description of exactly how he wanted to cut TOUCH OF EVIL if the studio had allowed him, well now that has happened. Below is a report of how that has turned out. This is one of the best films ever made, touching it is near sacrilege, but it is Welles' wishes, and I'm dying with anticipation to see this cut. Also Gondo has included news about what will be one of the best films of the year, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, as well as shooting info on THE GREEN MILE and the Andy Kaufman Biopic. Oh yeah, and a tidbit or two on HOBBIT/LORD OF THE RINGS...
I've been reading your page for a while and have found quite entertaining, and I have finally decided to send a little info your way. My name is Gondo and I've been working on movies for about five years now, and just saw a print of the re-cut "Touch of Evil" and after reading your take on the 100 best movies I thought you might like to hear about it. Walter Murch talked about it for a little while, and read from the Wells Memo (leave that out if used) then there was the screening. First off, the print is Brilliant. I've seen the laserdisc, the prints before, but this is an amazing, pristine print almost entirely from the original negative. The main differences in the cutting happen in the first twenty minutes. There are no credits over the inital long tracking shot, and there is no soundtrack music. Mancini's music was replaced with source music from the various clubs and the car radio. The effect is brilliant, and the execution is seamless. Then, after the explosion, the scenes with Charlton Heston and Janet Leigh are intercut, creating a parallel storyline much earlier in the film and moving the action along much more quickly. So big Chuck the Latino is talking with Joseph Cotton, then Janet is being led astray by the Grande kids, then fat Orson comes in. All very nice. Anyway, it will be released in about 250-300 theaters in September, so that's something to look forward to. Above all, Kudos to Water Murch, a long overlooked but incredibly influential filmmaker who has done a real service to Welles' brilliance.
Also, a couple quick notes on which I will expand later:
"Green Mile?" Production begins in about a month
Andy Kaufman bio-pic starring Jim Carrey and directed by Milos Foreman? begins filming in about a month also.
"What Dreams may Come"-Promises to be brilliant, if the effects can be finished in time-Trouble there. Reshoots took place last week for a new ending, more happy of course.
And a little tidbit about "Lord of the Rings" Think about the Hobbit, Lord
of the Rings both being filmed, back to back. That's the current plan,
depending on financing. Of course the effects are huge, and filming
probably won't finish until '00.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Has STAR WARS EPISODE VII Landed Its First Non-OT Cast Member? -- 431 total posts 133 posts
- The New WOLVERINE Trailer Brings Forth More Jean Grey!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- Steven Seagal might be joining THE EXPENDABLES 3!! -- 236 total posts 83 posts
- Microsoft's Reveal Of The Next XBOX Is Upon Us, And Streaming Here!! -- 78 total posts 78 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1179 total posts 78 posts
- Harry's 21st Picks & Peeks of 2013 has MEDIUM COOL, THE LAST STAND, THE BURNING, BATMAN, MIYAZAKI Blus and more!!! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 1344 total posts 38 posts
- John Ary's Video Review Of The New CAPTAIN AMERICA (1990) Blu-ray!! -- 192 total posts 20 posts
- Trailer For Alejandro Jodorowsky's THE DANCE OF REALITY Is Filled With Hauntingly Surreal Imagery! -- 46 total posts 17 posts
- NBC To Launch This July 13-Episode Scripted Series SIBERIA, About Strange 21st Century Happenings At The Site Of The 1908 Tunguska Meteor!! -- 45 total posts 15 posts