First look at the Director's Cut of TOUCH OF EVIL!!! Also info on WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, THE GREEN MILE, Andy Kaufman Biopic and
When Orson Welles died he left a detailed description of exactly how he wanted to cut TOUCH OF EVIL if the studio had allowed him, well now that has happened. Below is a report of how that has turned out. This is one of the best films ever made, touching it is near sacrilege, but it is Welles' wishes, and I'm dying with anticipation to see this cut. Also Gondo has included news about what will be one of the best films of the year, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, as well as shooting info on THE GREEN MILE and the Andy Kaufman Biopic. Oh yeah, and a tidbit or two on HOBBIT/LORD OF THE RINGS...
I've been reading your page for a while and have found quite entertaining, and I have finally decided to send a little info your way. My name is Gondo and I've been working on movies for about five years now, and just saw a print of the re-cut "Touch of Evil" and after reading your take on the 100 best movies I thought you might like to hear about it. Walter Murch talked about it for a little while, and read from the Wells Memo (leave that out if used) then there was the screening. First off, the print is Brilliant. I've seen the laserdisc, the prints before, but this is an amazing, pristine print almost entirely from the original negative. The main differences in the cutting happen in the first twenty minutes. There are no credits over the inital long tracking shot, and there is no soundtrack music. Mancini's music was replaced with source music from the various clubs and the car radio. The effect is brilliant, and the execution is seamless. Then, after the explosion, the scenes with Charlton Heston and Janet Leigh are intercut, creating a parallel storyline much earlier in the film and moving the action along much more quickly. So big Chuck the Latino is talking with Joseph Cotton, then Janet is being led astray by the Grande kids, then fat Orson comes in. All very nice. Anyway, it will be released in about 250-300 theaters in September, so that's something to look forward to. Above all, Kudos to Water Murch, a long overlooked but incredibly influential filmmaker who has done a real service to Welles' brilliance.
Also, a couple quick notes on which I will expand later:
"Green Mile?" Production begins in about a month
Andy Kaufman bio-pic starring Jim Carrey and directed by Milos Foreman? begins filming in about a month also.
"What Dreams may Come"-Promises to be brilliant, if the effects can be finished in time-Trouble there. Reshoots took place last week for a new ending, more happy of course.
And a little tidbit about "Lord of the Rings" Think about the Hobbit, Lord
of the Rings both being filmed, back to back. That's the current plan,
depending on financing. Of course the effects are huge, and filming
probably won't finish until '00.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 147 total posts 17 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 40 total posts 11 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 19 total posts 11 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 78 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 17 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 398 total posts 6 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 343 total posts 6 posts