Elston Gunn's WEEKLY RECAP
Well, looks like Elston's computer is up and running again, and so I (Father Geek) find myself once again posting his weekend update (Weekly Recap) for all of you who may have missed some of the Hollywood news the first time around. Never fear, Elston's got you covered, so sit back, relax, grab a mug of hot java, or whatever, and read all about the week that was for America's motion picture industry... Meanwhile, Click Here For Your Chance To By FATHER GEEK Baseball Hats and Baggy Boxer Shorts!!! You'll Age Happily!!!
TAKEN FROM VARIETY AND HOLLYWOOD REPORTER
* Chloe Sevigny, Jeremy Davies and Paul Bettany are in talks to join Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgard and Katrin Cartlidge in director Lars von Trier's dramatic indie thriller DOGVILLE. Shooting begins in January in Sweden.
* Gabrielle Union and LL Cool J will star in the Baltimore/Spring Creek romantic comedy DELIVER US FROM EVA for writer/director Gary Hardwick (THE BROTHERS) and USA Films. It's about three young men who pay a ladies' man five grand to go out with their sister-in-law. After a horrendous first date, the two start to fall for each other which leads to unexpected complications. Production begins mid-October.
* David Alan Basche ("Three Sisters") joins the cast of Steven Soderbergh's HOW TO SURVIVE A HOTEL FIRE with Blair Underwood, Julia Roberts and Catherine Keener, among others. Production begins in early November for a March release.
* Fred Savage joins James Van Der Beek and Shannyn Sossamon in THE RULES OF ATTRACTION, based on the Bret Easton Ellis novel, for director Roger Avary.
* Patricia Kalember (''thirtysomething," "Sisters"), Cherry Jones and newcomer Abigail Breslin have joined Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix and Rory Culkin in M. Night Shyamalan's SIGNS.
* Mekhi Phifer and Brittany Murphy will join Eminem and Giovanni Ribisi in Universal's THE UNTITLED DETROIT PROJECT for director Curtis Hanson and Imagine Entertainment. Shooting starts Oct. 18.
* Samuel L. Jackson is in negotiations to join Vin Diesel in XXX, a Revolution Studios action drama to be directed by Rob Cohen. Jackson will play a government agent who recruits and trains Diesel's character for an undercover operation designed to infiltrate a Russian crime ring. Shooting begins late November for a July release. Diesel is also near a deal to star in THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK, the sequel to PITCH BLACK. David Hayter (X-MEN) wrote the script. Production on that project is expected to begin in the spring for a summer 2003 release.
* Rapper-actress Queen Latifah is in talks to join Taye Diggs and Sanaa Latham in BROWN SUGAR for Fox Searchlight and director Rick Famuyiwa. She'll also star in and executive produce the comedy IN THE HOUZE for Disney and Hyde Park Entertainment.
* John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson may star in BASIC for director John McTiernan and Phonenix Pictures/Intermedia about a Drug Enforcement Agency agent who investigates the disappearance of a legendary Army Ranger drill instructor and several cadets. Shooting begins in late November
* Bel-Air Entertainment has purchased the action/comedy screenplay CHEER UP by John J. McLaughlin about a group of dysfunctional cheerleaders from Eastern Connecticut College who witness a murder after one of their cheerleading competitions. A hard-nosed veteran FBI agent is assigned to the case and must learn to work with the girls while avoiding the killers determined to knock them off before the group can testify.
* MGM has acquired THE DISASSOCIATE, a romantic comedy/fantasy script by Zach Helm described by the writer as "a postmodern comedy about a (surprise) who works as a (surprise) until (surprise) convinces him to quit and pursue the (surprise), ultimately leading to (surprise's) (surprise) and subsequent (surprise)."
* Michael Elliot has several scripting projects on his plate including the romantic comedy pitch MAID TO LOVE YOU as a starring vehicle for Tyrese; THE LAST RIDE for Deep River and New Regency, based on a pitch by Pras; GOT MONEY? at Alcon Entertainment; LIKE MIKE for Lil' Bow Wow and Fox Searchlight; and BROWN SUGAR with Rick Famuyiwa (THE WOOD) directing this fall.
* Hyde Park Entertainment has picked up the feature rights to JAKE & MIMI, the upcoming novel by Frank Baldwin that has John Herzfeld (15 MINUTES) attached to direct and produce. It's about Jake, a guy who explores sex through a long line of women. When he meets Mimi, he starts to rethink his ways, but his life is turned upside down when the women he has slept with begin to be murdered, and he looks like the most likely suspect.
* Gil Junger (10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU) will direct D-MEN, a supernatural action/comedy, for Warner Bros.and Mad Chance Prods. The pic is based on Martin Olson's manuscript ENCYCLOPEDIA FROM HELL and centers on two men who stop a demon invasion. Ken Kaufman and Howard Klausner (SPACE COWBOYS) wrote the script.
* Richard Pearce (THE LONG WALK HOME) will direct the bigscreen adaptation of T.C. Boyle's TORTILLA CURTAIN for Kingdom International. It's about a writer in Topanga Canyon who accidentally hits a man who happens to be an illegal alien. The story explores how the incident brings the two men and their families together and later separates them. Shooting begins this spring.
* Russell Mulcahy will direct SWIMMING UPSTREAM for Crusader Entertainment about a young man who struggles to become an Olympic swimmer despite his alcoholic dad. The project is based on Tony Fingleton's autobiographical book.
* MGM grabbed the comedy pitch MARVIN from Gary Hardwick (THE BROTHERS) for Landscape Entertainment to produce. Hardwick will script the story of a young, upper class groom-to-be who spends the night in jail after a run-in with the law. While there, he enlists the help of a fast-talking con man for protection. In return, he promises to help said his new pal get back on his feet upon his release. When the con gets out much sooner than anticipated, the groom-to-be finds keeping his end of the bargain to be a lot harder than he could ever have imagined.
* Alan Cumming will write, direct and star in two projects for FilmFour, GARDENER'S QUESTION TIME and DIVA. The former project is about a group of friends and how they keep in touch through changing times over a 10-year period. The latter pic is about a guy who becomes obsessed with the women who live in the apartment opposite him.
* Comedy Central and Robert De Niro's Tribeca Prods. have hired actor/writer A.D. Miles ("TV Funhouse," WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER) to script PORN 'N' CHICKEN, a feature based on the true story of Yale students who made a porn flick with fellow classmates as actors.
* Writer Scott Burns is working with Working Title Films on two projects: PU239, a script about a guy entangled with a mobster in modern-day Russia, which Peter Berg is attached to direct; and a pitch based on the life of Neil Smithers, a crime-scene cleaner.
* Baltimore/Spring Creek Pictures and Artists Production Group have tapped Jim Krieg to adapt Geoff Nicholson's novel BEDLAM BURNING for New Line with Barry Levinson possibly directing. The story focuses on a charming struggling writer and his school chum who has succeeded in writing a novel. Things go awry when the bland pal asks his good-looking friend to contribute his own photo for the book jacket, in hopes of stronger sales.
* Steve Beck (upcoming 13 GHOSTS) will direct CHIMERA for Warner Bros. and Dark Castle Entertainment. Mark Hanlon wrote the script about a group of boat salvagers who find a lost 1953 passenger ship floating aimlessly in the Bering Sea. After claiming the ship and attempting to bring it to shore, mysterious things start to happen aboard the vessel.
MISCELLANEOUS PRODUCTION TIDBITS
* Paramount Pictures has given STAR TREK: NEMESIS the greenlight to begin production on Nov. 28 with Stuart Baird (U.S. MARSHALS) directing from a script by John Logan (GLADIATOR).
* Team Todd, the production partnership between sisters Suzanne and Jennifer Todd, have a new multiyear first-look deal at DreamWorks beginning Oct. 1. They are developing Heather Hatch's script THERE'S A POP DIVA LOOSE IN THE CAFETERIA for the studio as well as THE FIRST FIVE and DADDY BOOT CAMP at Revolution Studios; THE CAPTAIN'S WIFE at Fox 2000; and SEX TALK at New Regency.
(NOT from the trades)
* Follow the adventures of Bruce Zick's THE ZONE CONTINUUM at pigdogproductions.com.
* Interested in Birmingham, Alabama's film festival? Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival: www.sidewalkfest.com.
* Someone's got a Willy Wonka remix they'd like to share. http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/bd9622b6/bc/willy+wonka+remix.avi?bcIFW.7APU.QuFpv
* Lloyd Kaufman and the Troma Team return with the USA premiere of CITIZEN TOXIE: THE TOXIC AVENGER IV. The film will have its USA premiere on November 2nd at the Pioneer Theater (155 East 3rd Street -at Ave. A- New York, NY 10009) followed by a gala premiere party.
Until next week...
Have a good October.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 28, 2001, 8:44 p.m. CST
I think Citizien Toxie all ready premiered in my hometown of Baltimore a few weeks ago.
Sept. 28, 2001, 10:39 p.m. CST
Thanks Holidill. damn. its sad when you miss fellow talkbackers. VERY fucking sad. I want my Buzz TB!
Sept. 29, 2001, 5:53 a.m. CST
by Jon L. Ander
There should be a law against that sort of thing. That Gardeners Question Time thing had me worried for a second too.
Sept. 29, 2001, 7:19 a.m. CST
I've bought my ticket already!
Sept. 29, 2001, 9:02 a.m. CST
now for all i know, this may be the nicest guy in the world, and one with a great film in him clawing to get out ... but, it's hardly comforting that the star trek powers have entrusted the franchise to a guy whose only prior directing credits are u.s. marshals (a disappointing cash-in sequel) and executive decision (a competent but forgettable actioner). it just kinda says, hey, we'll crank something workmanlike out, and even if it has little chance of being art, we know the opening weekend will almost recoup the investment. coupled with reservations about the plotline, this further depresses me. stuart baird? was levar burton not available?
Sept. 29, 2001, 10:16 a.m. CST
by luke ca
has worked on some cool films, Superman, Ladyhawk, Outland, Lethal Weapon, the omen & the last boy scout. But not the best choice for director, they could have gone with Jonathan Frakes again.
Sept. 29, 2001, 10:50 a.m. CST
by SEATTLE SLEWW
With a bitter sweet September rolling to a finish, it is time to reflect on all that was and all that could have been. The following is a list of things we should be truly thankful for and reasons why we should continue to march on as a proud, united people. 1) Sleazy congressman Gary Conduit is safely removed from the headlines and is pushed somewhere between page A8 and the want ads. 2) You were able to witness George Bush
Sept. 29, 2001, 12:30 p.m. CST
by Cash Bailey
There aren't enough 'haunted boat' movies I reckon. I thought Chris Mcquarrie was directing this thing. That would rule.
Sept. 29, 2001, 2:41 p.m. CST
Never surrender! Never Despair! Never compromise! Not even in the face of Armageddon
Sept. 29, 2001, 3:29 p.m. CST
That's no joke. I'm disgusted by this whole terroist-bombing-let's go to war exercise in the latest media circle-jerk that any mention of it makes me run for PepcidAC. But, all that aside, that's talk about Roger Avary. I suddenly decided I have to go shit some blood and have lost my strength for my usual tirade on how the works of Bret Easton Ellis are merrilly continuing on their road to cinematic HELL. Shit, the crimson drip.......
Sept. 29, 2001, 3:31 p.m. CST
as the new Star Trek Director.
Sept. 29, 2001, 7:06 p.m. CST
Oh, goody. TWO annoying white trash morons instead of one! What a fantastic deal! Hey, let's throw Carrot Top, Freddie Prinze Jr., and Matt Lillard in there and we'll really have a masterpiece! Yeah, right. As if it wasn't bad enough that Eminem's getting his own movie, we also have to put up with King Spaz in it, too. Somebody bring me a pain reliever....
Sept. 29, 2001, 8:16 p.m. CST
Glad to see he's making himself available to get some work. After his last sitcom, he'd pretty much decided he wasn't going to get in front of a camera again. He was looking at directing actually. Then he signed on to do some kids' cartoon and now here he is getting into features again. Good for him. Hope it works out.
Sept. 29, 2001, 9:56 p.m. CST
I have absolutely NO idea what the heck that noise is all about. I even turned off my pop-up blocker, lol, to see what was going on, but it didn't make a difference. I minimized the screen to see if something was back there and I checked the corner animation to see if Harry had added sound to his little creations. Jinkies...Looks like we have a mystery, gang. First one to figure it out wins the Scooby Snacks.____A Hungry Bee
Sept. 30, 2001, 8:02 a.m. CST
First off, I know you all miss Buzz out there, hell I do to. So last night while sleeping a whole array of bizarre Buzzisms came to me, now I'm not saying I'm great, I probably suck ass, but here is the first, gulp, Holidill Hot sheet(lame title there Holidill) Taken from the mind of a very disturbed person: -Bruce Campbell, Bruce Greenwood, Bruce Davison, Bruce Dern, and Bruce McCulloch are teaming up in a new film called THE BRUCES, based on the Monty Python sketch about a group of Australian philosophy teachers coping with their wild students in the Australian outback. To be directed by: Bruce Beresford and a special guest apperance by Paul Hogan as Bruce Dundee. -James Cameron has announced his next film, a re-imagining of his classic film The Terminator entitled SOULLESS AUTOMOTON #1: starring Leonardo DiCaprio, SUzy Amis, Jessica Alba, and THE ROCK. This time Cameron is going to turn it into a piece of French-GErman cinema shot in black and white and focusing on a love triangle between DiCaprio, Amis, and Alba as the Rock trashes all of France and Berlin. -John Michael Higgins, best remembered as playing David Letterman in the cable film the Late Shift, will be starring as another late night show host, Bill Maher in a film torn from today's headline as Higgins as Mahr plays a political comedian who says one too many bad things and is hunted down by a government consortium headed by President Bush the second who will be portrayed as a floating cowboy hat as in the Donnesbury cartoon. Maher attempts to try and find help as he is being hunted by this consortium with the WTC collapse as a background. -Finally John Cusack and frequent collaberator Jeremy Piven will be starring in an epic film with Freddie Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard that centers on the world's longest tug of war game. Look for cameos by Joan Cusack and Sarah Michelle Gellar. That's it. Wow, it must'v been that chinese food I ate. Anyway let me know what you think. Holidaydill@hotmail.com.
Sept. 30, 2001, 4:35 p.m. CST
by Public Enemy
We are Pubic Enemy a "supergroup" of talkbackers if you must. We will provide "inside" stuff and what not until the mighty Mister Maverick takes back his throne. We're not even going to try and replicate what he does, we just have news from our sources. Our first is from CHICKEN BONE JONES-"Whitney Houston isn't dead, howver she IS sucking wang for crack. Would have been a bad time to die anyway that rumor happened the week of September 11th. No one would have cared about a screechy suck ass diva dying then. Justin Timberlake needs my combat boot in his fucking head. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are still gobbling one another's cocks, the only difference now is that now when Ben is finished with Matt he has to go and slurp Bruckheimers tasty wong so he can continue to work in this business. Bob Dylan is on tour now, someone give me tickets so I can smoke herb with Bobby.Maynard from TOOL is going to play Satan in a new movie coming out titled "The Bikini Bandits". Also in it will be Jello Biafra and Corey Feldman. I'm there." Okay, thank you Chicken Bone, now here's Mr.Gwieves, and yes, he actually types likes this. "Jennifaw Wopez got mawwied yestawday to Chwiss Judd. That shood be fun until Puffy Combs shows up on thawa honeymoon to shoot them. Thewa is a video of Jennifaw Wopez making wove to haw ole huseband. Bwitney Speaws and that boy fwom NSYNC had thewa house bwoken into and appawently a video was stolen of them having touchy time. Mistuh Gwieves would wike to have touchy time with Bwitney.Thanks fow weeding, youwa fwiend Mistuh Gwieves" That's from Mister Gwieves, I don't have much scoop, however I "Buzzarro" the ring leader of the PUBIC ENEMY extend an invite to all of you out there, have scoop? Write the PUBIC ENEMY care of Mr Gwieves e-mail at MrG@Hollywood.com, yes it takes a nation to replace Buzz. By the way Crazy Town sucks, I went off about this and my colleaugues at another site gave me his number, and I pass it on to all of you, Seth from Crazy Town's number is (310) 600-3410. Tell him the men of PUBIC ENEMY say hello. By the way Harry take over that bitch Bill Maher's show and call "HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!". BUZZARO out.
Sept. 30, 2001, 4:51 p.m. CST
Elston,Mister Sleww, Holidell, and the men of Pubic Enemy for keeping us all entertained! The # to the crazy town guy was kind of funny, keep up the good work all! It's always good being cheered up, especially here in the Big Apple...hope to hear more from all of you! DKM
Oct. 1, 2001, 6:11 p.m. CST
It's not just sound for some of us, apparently there is a pic of the Iron Monkey from the movie of that name to go with it. It just floats on the screen. Trust me Hun, you ain't missing nothing.
Oct. 1, 2001, 6:26 p.m. CST
The little kung fu<cker> people showed up today. They could have stayed hidden and it would have been fine with me. I enjoyed it more when it was a quest to locate the source. Thanks for the warning, TOO LATE!!!!!!____Bee
- Spoilery early review of MAN OF STEEL!! -- 362 total posts 330 posts
- Holy Crossover!! Magneto’s Boy Quicksilver To Speed About In Whedon’s AVENGERS 2 And Singer’s X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?? -- 318 total posts 106 posts
- A review of Refn and Gosling's ONLY GOD FORGIVES, direct from Cannes!! -- 109 total posts 90 posts
- Tom Cruise Won’t Go Solo For MAN FROM UNCLE!! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- Green-Band and Red-Band trailers for the new Jason Sudeikis & Jennifer Aniston VACATION ripoff, WE'RE THE MILLERS are here!! -- 145 total posts 53 posts
- The Friday Docback Revisits DOCTOR WHO Season 7!! A Fuller Review Of 'The Name of the Doctor,' And More!! -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- Jon Stewart casts Gael Garcia Bernal for his directorial debut, ROSEWATER!! -- 44 total posts 42 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1447 total posts 40 posts
- Ron Howard's latest trailer sure is a RUSH!!! -- 64 total posts 35 posts
- John Ary's Video Review Of THE HANGOVER PART III!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts